Front wheel bearing noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Professor Emeritus
Default Front wheel bearing noise?

So, I have had this annoying noise now going on for about 6 months. I was using some tires that were nearing the end of their life, so I assumed that it was tire noise. About 1 month ago I had new tires put on. Come to find out that the noise is still there. Just to rule tires out completely I moved tires around all over the car and the noise is the same regardless of tire position and it is always coming from the same location.

The noise begins to occur around 35 MPH and I can hear it clearly up to around 60 MPH. After that, other noises are involved and it is difficult to isolate. Also, while taking slow sweeping right hand turns at 40 to 45 MPH the noise increases in frequency and oscillates.

To me it sounds like the drivers side wheel bearing is taking a dump. I am assuming that to replace this bearing that I need to remove the entire knuckle assy. and have the bearing pressed out, hub pressed out and then have it all pressed back together and then re-install?

Has anyone on here done a front wheel bearing yet? If so where are you getting parts and what was your experience like. I don't want any surprises if I decide to do this myself.

EDIT: Car has 162,000 miles. Besides the water pump at just over 100,000 miles this will be the only other major thing I have had go wrong so far with this particular car.

Last edited by litespeed; 10-18-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: mileage
Old 10-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Front wheel bearing noise?

AJ,

Putting front wheel bearings in is a bear as you have already guessed. Most use a slide hammer to get the hub off and then bearing splitters and a good hydraulic press will be your best friends to press out the races and bearings. Book time is 2.8 hours for one side. Wish I could have said is was simpler....

Old 10-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Did you do bearing test?
Can you jack her front end up and turn engine one and let wheels spin to spot the noise?
Look into buying entire hub/bearing assembly. Then you simply drop it in and realign.
Take new bearing and removed hub to a tire shop, they'll swap bearing out for you, just in case. DO NOT hammer those out and in.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Old 10-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Old 10-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Professor Emeritus

Thanks for posting guys! I just don't have time for this one. We got a busy week and I had to get a local shop to "fit this in" to get it done.

It is not as easy as it looks. Removing the knuckle from the car is not that big of a deal. But, finding a machine shop I can trust to press the bearing out of the knuckle and then press the hub out of the bearing... Then pressing it all back together without screwing it up? Not going to happen.

Dealer wanted close to $600 for the job. I found a good local shop to do it for $274. This is the first time in years I have paid someone to work on my car. It is a shame. I'm just too busy to deal with it.

Sucks because the parts are less than $50 to do the job.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:05 PM

It IS a shame. Be ashamed. We are ashamed of you too. It's shameful.
It's

dastardly disgraceful embarrassing flagrant heinous humiliating ignominious immoral
indecent outrageous reprehensible scandalous shocking sinful vile base carnal
contemptible corrupt debauched degrading diabolical dishonorable drunken immodest impure infamous intemperate lewd low mean mortifying notorious
obscene opprobrious profligate reprobate ribald unbecoming unclean unworthy
villainous vulgar wicked

Jokes aside, though I learned a few words, $274 for what? Entire hub with new bearing AND labor? That's killer price.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Professor Emeritus

Yea... It's in there right now. New hub flange, new bearing, new axle nut (6pt.) and a dust seal. I forget the labor. They said they have done it many times and it would be about 1.5 hours. I figured it would take 2 or 3? We shall see...

EDIT:

I did 2 audits this morning and now a got a few hours down time while they have the car. Then tonight I have got to drive 2 hours South of here, do 2 more audits and then return home. Same thing tomorrow and Thursday!

Then I have Family coming into town Thursday evening until Sunday!

Like I said... I just don't have the time.

Last edited by litespeed; 10-22-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Professor Emeritus

Just got the car back! I pulled the wheel and inspected everything. Nothing is stripped, nothing is out of place, none of the nuts are rounded off, none of the plastic clips are broken, etc...

I'm impressed. It was worth the $274.24 to have someone else do this for me. Now I can focus on work.

Thank you again guys for your insight!

Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 PM

Good for you. They are keepers then.