Got a used 2009 Camry XLE Hybrid, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Got a used 2009 Camry XLE Hybrid, some questions

Originally Posted by KenSoren
I need to agree with kudos to HarroldO .... My hats off to HarroldO!....
Awww shucks
Thanks!

Old 12-11-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Marik
I get it dude. Auburn is not exactly close to me though. That will likely take an hour drive to and from. Not easy when you have a family and work a lot. I'd like to if you can meet somewhere in the middle though like Tacoma or something.
I'll have long weekend in 2 weeks. We could. Tacoma is about 30 min away from me and that's where I bought mine anyway. At least i could listen to her and feel her. Showing how to hypermile in even an hour is rather hard, it's a lot of habits to be broken if you switched from conventional car to hybrid.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

****, only 2300 miles into it and I just got a check engine light earlier today. I tried going to Toyota of Olympia and they said they'd charge $108 an hour JUST TO LOOK AT THE CAR. That's ****ing ridiculous. No way in hell I'm doing that. Anyways, I'm going to have it checked out by the mechanic I have trusted the whole time I guess. I never took a hybrid there before, but at least they're actually honest.

I know a lot of people have this happen with Toyotas because of the gas cap getting loose, and I actually just filled up earlier today. It was looking a little loose actually, and I noticed some gas had gotten on the cap itself. Odd. Anyways, this WOULD cause that light to go off, and it would remain even if I fastened the cap properly anyways, right?

But like I said I'm gonna get it taken to the mechanic to at least have them look at it, and it's definitely not gonna be the Toyota stealership. Pray for me if that's what you do. And any thoughts or recommendations, I'm all eyes.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marik
****, only 2300 miles into it and I just got a check engine light earlier today. I tried going to Toyota of Olympia and they said they'd charge $108 an hour JUST TO LOOK AT THE CAR. That's ****ing ridiculous. No way in hell I'm doing that. Anyways, I'm going to have it checked out by the mechanic I have trusted the whole time I guess. I never took a hybrid there before, but at least they're actually honest.

I know a lot of people have this happen with Toyotas because of the gas cap getting loose, and I actually just filled up earlier today. It was looking a little loose actually, and I noticed some gas had gotten on the cap itself. Odd. Anyways, this WOULD cause that light to go off, and it would remain even if I fastened the cap properly anyways, right?

But like I said I'm gonna get it taken to the mechanic to at least have them look at it, and it's definitely not gonna be the Toyota stealership. Pray for me if that's what you do. And any thoughts or recommendations, I'm all eyes.
Look online for one of the plug in error code readers. Well worth the $20 investment. "OBD2 scan tool" is the search description. Most have an app that will let you look up the car error code.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:33 AM
Enthusiast

I got it taken to the mechanic and they looked at it and confirmed it actually WAS a loose gas cap, but they also looked at it and said everything looks great. And they didn't charge me a thing. Granted, these guys are independent, and not Toyota, but to me that's sounding like a pretty dang good thing at this point. I'm not sure if they'll do tune-ups on a hybrid, or if they do, is it a good idea to have them do it instead of Toyota? When the time comes?

And thanks for the OBD2 scan tool recommendation. I'm gonna buy one now that you mentioned that so it at least kinda helps me do some DIY work in a pinch if I have to and am able, in future situations.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:06 AM

Buy the Automatic. https://www.automatic.com/
It tells you what the yellow warnng light codes mean...but also does a lot more

Old 12-24-2016, 12:26 AM
Enthusiast

I got another question about this 2009 Camry Hybrid. So I'm noticing this fog building up on all of the windows and it won't go away, and I have to say I'm absolutely tired of every car I have, having this issue. That **** never disappears no matter what I do to it. I've gone over everything and come up with two possible culprits. Either it's the sunroof and I'm a dumbass for not figuring out how to seal it, or the fact that there's no seal between the frame and glass of the rear windshield on the exterior. Outside of the car, around the glass, there's supposed to be a piece of rubber that barriers the whole edge between the glass and frame right? Well, I don't have one...simply have nothing. Any ideas?

Old 12-30-2016, 12:56 PM
JOAT, master of none

I saw some reference to having Avid tires.... these tires suck badly. When I bought my '09 non-hybrid, it had Avids on it. I told the dealer that I thought that I had a bad rear wheel bearing, he said no,its the Avids and he put 2 new rears on it. A few months later, the growl came back and I had to live with it until those POS Avids wore out. As soon as I changed tires, it was smooth and quiet again. I wouldn't take another set of Avids if they were free.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:34 PM

tired of every car I have, having this issue.

You drink? Alcohol break down products in breath cause fogged windows.
otherwise, turn AC on and direct vents onto windshield. This clears fog in heartbeat.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:00 AM
Enthusiast

I don't always drink, but when I do, driving isn't what I'm doing.

Anyways, I got a great story now. GREAT I tell you! So I'm at someone's house chilling out, then all of a sudden the Mom comes in and tells me she's got a problem - she just hit my car! Guess I should be lucky that it actually took as long as two months, right? Right, because I used her insurance to get it towed (because the fender was pressed into the tire a bit) fixed, and get a rental car while I was at it. And then on the first day of the rental car, a moron hit and ran that one in a parking lot!

So I got my car back after this rather interesting ordeal in which I was forced to test out a 2017 Toyota Camry NON HYBRID, and determined my car is clearly way the hell better than that one, albeit not as expensive. Did I mention that car was basically new, because it only had about 100 miles on it when the moron hit and ran it? I caught his license plate because it's routine for me to do so at this point (idiot drivers everywhere). I picked up the damage waiver which is normally a rip off because I knew this was gonna happen too.

I'm now left rather paranoid, or more so than previously, which is a big problem however. I'm really tired of this, because I am someone who never speeds, ever, and I signal to merge, signal to exit a roundabout, and TURN INTO THE CORRESPONDING/CLOSEST LANE BEFORE MOVING OVER rather than CHANGING LANES IN AN INTERSECTION...which someone earlier today, obviously didn't know. I told my wife...I bet the guy next to me randomly moves into my lane when we turn...and then he did. God I love being psychic, I save so many lives because of it! And money!

I thought I'd share the story, hope you enjoyed it. But anyways, they did wipe the windows off in some way, which seems to have helped. The back windshield is still a bit foggy though, so I think there's some type of different problem going on with that. It seems that stuff doesn't come off, I dunno. What are the best tires to get for a 2009 TCH? Discount Tires seems to have a rather **** selection. I suppose I COULD go to the Toyota Stealership but I dunno, next to that idea, I rather like sticking my fingers down my throat and chucking into the crapper.

On a positive note I do truly love the car. I just pray I can continue to have the ability to do so for another 200,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Got a used 2009 Camry XLE Hybrid, some questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands