Help Diagnosing Rubbing Sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Help Diagnosing Rubbing Sound

Hello hoping you can help diagnose a weird rubbing sound I'm getting from the right rear on my 2007 Camry Hybrid.

I suspect it's suspension or hub related but not sure how to tell.

The sound happens occasionally (usually when cold) when making right turns at speed. Usually 90 degree turns or exiting the highway on ramps. If I happen to hit a bump while turning the sound dissipates. When I remove the wheel and turn the rotor you can feel a faint rub/vibration. I changed the rotor thinking this was the issue but it wasn't.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to diagnose this. I was hoping to record the sound as it's quite distinct but it's so infrequent.

Hope you can help.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Help Diagnosing Rubbing Sound

Could be a rear axle hub and bearing starting to go. The other possibility is the caliper is dragging on the braking system. Check the slide pins on the caliper and make sure they are lubed.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Georgia. I'll take a look tomorrow and report my findings. Really appreciate your help on this forum.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Enthusiast

So it's not the slide pins. I cleaned an lubed everything up. I wonder if it has to do with the dust cover. There's a rub much like this
however the loud rub while driving doesn't sound like this. I tried recording it while driving but couldnt get a good recording.

I'm going to fiddle with the dust cover tomorrow. If that fails.
I'm going to pull off the hub/bearing next weekend.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:41 PM
Professor Emeritus

That's funny.... I was going to mention the dust shields a couple days ago, but that noise is more of a "screech" than a rub. When I think of a "rub" I think of a noise a tire makes when contacting a fender or splash guard.

The shields can get bent when a dead beat tire guy drops a rim on the shield and bends it. I have had it happen so many times I cannot count. Just bend it back away from the rotor and you're good....

One of the reasons noises are ridiculously impossible to diagnose over the internet. You have to actually be there unless you have experienced a very specific problem and can relate to it... As mentioned above, any 2 people interpret noises VERY differently.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

It might possibly be a parking brake issue as well. hard to tell without hearing it in person...

Old 10-25-2015, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Not the dust cover either....or not that I can see. I think you may be onto something with the parking brake. I'll try adjusting it and report back.
Appreciate the help here.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hi guys.
So I just got back from a parking lot and stuck my phone in the back seat
with the seat back down. I got a pretty decent recording of it. To produce
the rubbing sound I had to basically turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and really step on the gas. The sound comes in at 20 seconds. Any thoughts/ideas?

Attached Files
File Type: wav
Record_0003.wav (1.12 MB, 6 views)
Old 10-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Oh wow. But it does sound like a brake pad rub indeed.
I recall from my parking brakes job it was major PITA to have them set right.
here's the thing though. Rub like this will cause hot rotor hat. Is it hotter than the opposite side?

Old 10-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

I touched the rotor hat and didn't notice any difference in temp, although the car had been sitting for about 20 minutes. I'll check agin tomorrow after driving to work.

I appreciate the help all you experts have been so helpful in many ways. I've done the majority of the maintenance on the TCH thanks to you.

I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Help Diagnosing Rubbing Sound

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands