Homelink problems - why doesn't mine work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Homelink problems - why doesn't mine work?

Here are some clear cut instructions for programming rolling code garage door openers that I did this evening and it worked.

HOMELINK IN-CAR PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS
To program a built-in-car transmitter to a rolling code garage door opener (Genie rolling code is called Intellicode, Liftmaster/Sears is called Security plus), you should take the following steps.
1. Clear out anything previously programmed into the in-car system from the factory by holding down on the 2-outside buttons simultaneously, until the in-car red light starts flashing rapidly. This may take up to a minute. (In a few cases, some make cars require the keys to be in the ignition, or the car motor must be running, or the car door must be shut)
2. Decide which button you want to make to be your in-car garage door transmitter. Hold your transmitter up near the selected button, pressing both the garage door remote and the selected in-car transmitter button simultaneously. Hold down on the buttons until the in-car, red light flashes rapidly. This sets the in-car transmitter to be your garage door openers make transmitter, but you are not done. You now need to make this in-car transmitter your personal transmitter.
3. Go to the Learn Button on your garage door opener. The button is usually right next to the area the floppy antenna is connected to the motor head. With Genie it is most often behind the light lens, and flashes red when pressed. With Sears or Liftmaster (Chamberlain) it is near, or part of, the terminal screw board. Press this learn button momentarily. A red light should start to flash or an amber light will turn on and stay lit. Go back to the in-car transmitter button you programmed and press this button 3 or 4 times, or until the door starts moving. This should set your in-car transmitter to your garage door opener.

Tips:
1. Clear the car codes by pressing the outer 2 buttons. Takes 30-45 seconds for the red light to blink fast but seems like eternity.
2. Park car just outside garage so that you can work comfortably.
3. Pushing the garage remote and car home link buttons for again 30-45 seconds till it blinks rapidly. Patience!
4. Need a step ladder to get to garage opener head and unscrew the front area.
5. The button for learning on the garage door opener head is in the front area. Need screwdriver to open the front transparent white plastic cover where the bulbs are. Usually the black button is above the area where the antenna wire hangs down.
6. Press it and a red button below it blinks. You need to get to the car and select one of the 3 home link buttons and press them 3-4 times, ½ second at a time. By the 4th time the garage door should close.
7. Remember, unlike the remote button that works with a quick press on the button, you need to hold the programmed button in the car for 1 second for it to either open or close.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by greenvillehybrid
Here are some clear cut instructions for programming rolling code garage door openers that I did this evening and it worked.

HOMELINK IN-CAR PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS
Outstanding, clear instructions. I was going to try to help, but I could not have done as well!

Here is one minor tidbit of additional information (I see nothing needing correction!). If you program one button, and follow all of the steps to program a second button, including the reset step, you will lose the program on the first button! Skip the reset step number 1 after the first button is programmed.

-- Alan

Last edited by alan_in_tempe; 10-21-2006 at 08:11 AM. Reason: "are" changed to "is"
Old 10-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

I've tried programming my wife's with no success, so, I finally called the 800 #, (Homelink). The lady told me to try the Canadian method for programming since our door opener was made in the mid seventies.

My wife has the car at work so I'll have to try tomorrow and I'll let you know if it works.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:54 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

For what it's worth, I have found that I must hold in the Homelink button for at least 1 second when I want to use it to open/close my garage door. Perhaps the problem you're having isn't with the actual programming of the Homelink, so much as with using it? Try holding the button in longer, and see what happens.

Stan

Old 10-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I finally found out why I can't get my Homelink to work. Our garage door is an infrared-based system. The Homelink only works on radio frequency-based openers. Anyone else have this problem? Any know of a way to get my type of door to work?

Old 10-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Malcontent

I know some universal audio-visual remotes use radio waves. They don't have to be pointed at an IR "eye" and have greater range. They communicate with IR "blasters" that are placed near the IR eyes of each device. So they kind of translate between radio and IR commands.

If something similar existed for garage door openers then that would be a possibility.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

Sorry that I didn’t get back yesterday, I did try the Canadian method without success. I guess our opener is either to old or the wrong brand, (Doorkeeper).

Old 08-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Enthusiast

After programming my 2010 Lexus homelink to a liftmaster garage door opener my other hand held remotes are deprogrammed. Now even after the homelink is deprogrammed every time I program one of the hand held remotes the others become deprogrammed. The Lexus dealer technicians have been out but have not solved this problem, any suggestions?

Old 08-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

call homelink, they're very helpful

Old 08-26-2009, 05:46 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

I found my aftermarket openers would open the garage door w/o problems but never would program the Homelink. an original unit (given to me by a neighbor as mine had fallen and broken) worked just fine.

Quick Reply: Homelink problems - why doesn't mine work?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands