Homelink problems - why doesn't mine work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Homelink problems - why doesn't mine work?

Originally Posted by Droid13
First thing, I remember you being in Canada. The manual gives separate Canadian instructions which never worked for me, both on my Sienna and the TCH. Never really made sense, I really don't think garage door openers are any different in Canada then the US. So my first advice is, ignore the Canadian instructions. I used the "hold the button" method for rolling code systems while holding the remote near the homelink unit. I remember I had to hold the button for quite a while before it registered, but worked first time on my TCH. Took about 3 tries to get it right on my Sienna, but I probably was not patience enough.

If it's programmed correctly, you should be able to use it from a good distance away. I can trigger my door from about 5 houses down which is around 250 ft.
I had a similar experience. I dutifully followed the "Canadian" instructions, and it wouldn't work. I then decided to follow the "Standard" method, and it worked right away. I also remember having to hold the button longer than indicated.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 PM
old fart

I have a genie with rolling codes and had problems.guess that comes with old age.I called genie and they helped me program it and took no time at all.they are very helpfull.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mine was defective when the car was new, had it replaced under warranty, no further issues.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Enthusiast

wow-this worked! Thanks, I've tried the instructions in the car and genie manuals with no luck.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast

Some of the older garage door openers don't work with home link. I have a wayne dalton opener, and it originally didn't work. I called wayne dalton, and had the circuit board in the opener updated. Then the home link worked fine.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

Hello, I'm hoping for some help here. My Homelink was working fine, and stopped all of the sudden for no apparent reason.

I've tried both programming methods here to reprogram it without success.

I called Homelink support, and they suggested "The fuse was not plugged in all the way."

Well, the lights are lighting up when I reset, but, the desired programming button never flashes like it should when I try to program. It stays solid throughout the entire time I keep pressing the door opener button until it just goes out.

Please assist. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'd say you have not done 2 things:
1. reset it completely, by pressing and holding 2 left buttons until codes are erased
2. holding remote close enough and LONG enough to the pressed button, until it starts blinking fast. It can take quite some time.
Well, and life happens. Even such a simple thing as Homelink can go bad.