How to cure the Return of Steering Click

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default How to cure the Return of Steering Click

My 2007 had the TSB performed several years ago dealing with clicking in the steering column at low speeds. I'm finding now that the clicking has returned. I'm wondering (a) if I should be concerned about it and (b) if so, will this be covered under the 7/75 "Toyota Platinum" warranty (or any other warranty).

Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default re: How to cure the Return of Steering Click

Consider this:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...asing-diy.html

Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 AM

Credit to wesrick

Greased the shaft today. Fixed the clunking.

It ended up being more simple than what I had thought, but there are a few tips that could've come in handy, tips that weren't in the TSB. Since the TSB is already readily available through a search, I'm not going to detail every step...

Tips

1.) To stop the wheel from turning, I put a piece of rope around one side of the wheel, through the drivers side door, wrapped it around the front of the windshield and back through the passenger door, then tied it to the other side of the wheel. Worked very nicely.

2.) Remove the air filter container (just three screws inside of box, and clamp on intake hose to yank it out). This makes it a cinch to get down into the 2nd steering shaft clamp listed in the TSB.

3.) After removing marking both fittings, and removing both bolts, remove the fitting inside the engine compartment first; it was easier to remove than the one located under the dash. Use a screwdriver to 'rattle' the u-joint around a little bit to help loosen it from the piece it connects into. Otherwise, it can be a bit of a pain to pull out. I also used a screwdriver to -thoughtfully and lightly- pry the shaft away from the column attached to the wheel.

4.) When you grease the shaft, you're putting the grease into the plastic piece in the middle of the intermediate shaft (they can be seen when you look under the dash - before you even remove it). Look closely to find the missing splines the TSB talks about. It can be a bit hard to see, but when you find it, the grease kit fitting slides right down in, just like shown in the TSB. It's hard to push the grease in, but slowly and surely, it flows in, both sides of the shaft (again, as listed in the TSB).

5.) When putting the shaft back in, use just a touch household of oil to help the shaft slide back into place a little easier. Again, I used a screwdriver to 'rattle' the shaft back into the place with both the fitting under the hood, and the fitting under the dash.

Hope these tips help.

Total time spent was about an hour, start to finish (with cleanup).

Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 AM

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...43287494,d.aWM

Old 03-13-2013, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the link and the DIY info, but I paid good money for the platinum warranty. So I was really trying to find out if it should be a covered repair. Or if there's even a need to take action.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM

Most welcome.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
My 2007 had the TSB performed several years ago dealing with clicking in the steering column at low speeds. I'm finding now that the clicking has returned. I'm wondering (a) if I should be concerned about it and (b) if so, will this be covered under the 7/75 "Toyota Platinum" warranty (or any other warranty).
I went through this last year (long story). All you need to do is match mark the shaft where it mates to the "steering wheel side" of the shaft coming out of the column (not the floor). Loosen the bolt and cycle the shaft up and down a few times. This will redistribute the grease and noise will go away. Takes less than 10 minutes.

I did this over 30,000 miles ago. Still no issues.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by litespeed
I went through this last year (long story). All you need to do is match mark the shaft where it mates to the "steering wheel side" of the shaft coming out of the column (not the floor). Loosen the bolt and cycle the shaft up and down a few times. This will redistribute the grease and noise will go away. Takes less than 10 minutes.

I did this over 30,000 miles ago. Still no issues.

Yeah, but man "paid good money for the platinum warranty". Why would he spend 10 minutes fixing something?

Good tip though, brother. I think, GM calls this process "milking" ISS. Their ISSs are infamous for those clicks.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Professor Emeritus
Default Re: How to cure the Return of Steering Click

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Yeah, but man "paid good money for the platinum warranty". Why would he spend 10 minutes fixing something?

Good tip though, brother. I think, GM calls this process "milking" ISS. Their ISSs are infamous for those clicks.
Hours wasted out of your day sitting at the dealer for something that takes less than 10 minutes to fix? No thank you...

Also, god knows what they could screw up in the process (and not tell you about). I don't trust dealers as far as I could throw them. I would rather do the work myself or take it to a local place or person (like GeorgiaHybrid).

Seems like a lot of hassle for such an easy fix.

There are other options. That is why I posted in the first place. That is the beauty of these forums. Lots of input!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Default Re: How to cure the Return of Steering Click

I was planning to have it addressed at my next routine service appointment. My dealer did the TSB years ago, corrected the clicking, and I noticed no ill after-effects. I also don't have a good workspace in which to do my own car repairs.

So, although I'm glad it's a quick fix, doing it myself is not MY best option. Thanks.

Quick Reply: How to cure the Return of Steering Click

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands