How to replace your front struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How to replace your front struts

Forgot to say. First driving impression is VERY pleasant. For starters, entire front went up. I sort of sit "on the incline" inside the car now. Took her to my favorite 90 degree turn back road here, hit at 45mph - NO lean whatsoever. NONE.
Will see how she does in next week or so. I might as well do the rear ones too.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast

I realize this is an old thread, but I just replaced my original struts (07 TCH 117K miles) using this guide. I opted to purchase KYB Strut-Plus which includes the spring. The only issue I had were the upper bolts had vinyl tubing over the upper bolts, which I presume were to keep the splined upper bolts in place for shipping. They are made from clear tubing so I didn't notice them at first, but when the upper bolts didn't go thru body, I looked and compared to the old strut bolts. One bolt was loose even with the tubing but I screwed on one of the old upper strut nuts and tightened it which pulled it into place. I ordered these online, the boxes were pretty tore up from shipping, but surprisingly even the bag of nuts were still there.

Anyway, the car rides awesome once again and I appreciate the time taken to write this up, it gave me the confidence to do it!

Any suggestion on how to properly dispose of the old struts? I don't suppose there is anything special I need to do with them???

Old 10-20-2021, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

So I want to do this job in the near future, however, I can't find a complete strut assembly from KYB for the front on my 2011 Camry Hybrid. If I do opt to just replace the shock (transfer spring + mount, etc...), do y'all also recommend I replace the mount as well? Or would a simple swap be fine?

Old 10-20-2021, 01:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Monroe Quick-Struts are a good option and include the mount as well:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,15174