HVAC “crinkling” NOISE PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default HVAC “crinkling” NOISE PROBLEM

The problem I’m talking about is the “crinkling” noise coming from the HVAC at almost all fan settings. (This noise may not be very noticeable to non-hybrid owners – in Camry Hybrids it is very noticeable because they are so quiet)!

This noise is apparently caused by parking under any kind of tree that has small leaves or pine needles. This debris falls into (or is washed into) the HVAC system (because the vents under the hood have egg create openings much too large) and allow this to happen. Once this debris gets caught in your HVAC you will hear it being blown around making a “crinkling” noise that spoils my otherwise whisper quiet driving experience.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the HVAC noise problem (My Toyota Dealer doesn’t!).

Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HVAC “crinkling” NOISE PROBLEM

This is a tough one. You have to access the duct work.

I think these cars have a 'cabin air' filter located inside the cabin; inside the dash; behind the glove box. I'd check the owner's manual on how to drop the glove box to access the filter. (On our Sienna you squeeze the sides of the bin and let it tip out to access the filter assembly.) Pull the filter and then check to see what's fallen in the plenum where the fan is located. Its probably a pine needle or dry leaf that's hitting the fan's squirrel cage. (Sort of like putting playing cards on your bike so they flapped against the spokes...)

Be prepared!!! You will be amazed at what kind of 'stuff' can get sucked in there. Good thing to have the filters!!! I pulled a 6 - 7" long piece of blue cellophane tape out of the HVAC duct in my New Beetle.... and a bunch of other crap.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

There is a plastic gaurd under the hood next to the fire wall, remove it and place a screen wire, like used in window screens or door screens, over the hole. This hole is used for the cabin air in-take. If you do this, it will keep everything but air from entering the cabin air filter and fan blades.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I also would suggest some type of screen mesh, if this is an issue, I have no trees around my parking areas so don't need it, however I did put such a screen mesh in front of radiator to stop small rocks and bugs getting onto my radiator and there is a big difference.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Old-Crows is right. I just pulled my cabin air filter at the 25000 mark and it was BLACK with dirt plus it had junk I thought was too large to have gotten into the ductwork. Past posts address how to change the filter. It's very easy and only costs about $16 at a NAPA or Pep-Boys. From now on I'll change it every 10000 miles. The inside of the windows stay cleaner

Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks All – (The GOOD and BAD news)…

I really didn’t believe that leaves caught in the cabin air filter could produce a “crinkling” sound seemingly coming from the HVAC air vents, but I thought I’d try to see what’s making that noise. I got a high powered flashlight and looked directly into the HVAC air vents – expecting to see leaves caught in there flapping around – but NOTHING – new and perfectly clean looking as far in as I could see.

So I searched and found “Quick” directions for removing the glove box by bending in the sides to let it drop. I guess I didn’t read them completely because I missed disconnecting the “air cylinder thing” on the right side, (so it pulled off and dropped on the floor. (I see that I should have disconnected it at the bottom where it attaches to the glove box.). (I’ll save my new problem of getting that back in place for another day).

I turned over the filter and tapped it on the ground and 40-60 small leaves dropped out, with other junk. When I was sure I got everything, I replaced it and pushed the glove box back up (minus the “air cylinder thing”) – and tested it.

I am surprised to see that it apparently has fixed my “crinkling” sound problem. I would have never believed that those leaves moving around in the filter on the right side of the car would sound to me like I was hearing it from the drivers side air vent, but now realize what must be happening is the hard plastic air ducts must be directing that noise straight toward my ears!

Thanks for getting me to consider that solution! (Now – what holds that “air cylinder thing” in place?).

Old 07-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: HVAC “crinkling” NOISE PROBLEM

Yeaaaaaaa!!!!

Yep! The directions for doing the home maintenance are sometimes wanting.... "Disconnect strut B... but first......"

Sooooo glad you found the problem..... Maybe take the leaves to the dealer and show them??? Just for fun!!!

I'd not worry about making any additional screening.... makes life too complicated...... When you have a problem... just yank the filter!

Cheers Mate!!