Hy-Curious with questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hy-Curious with questions

Hi all,

I'm a future TCH owner but have some questions that I hoped you all could help me with.

1) I have decided not to get the nav system based on what I have read but I guess I would like to know if there is anyone who doesn't have problems with it. I've read a lot of complaints but nobody is defending the system.

2) Also, I test drove a TCH yesterday but the model I drove didn't have the upgraded radio, so I don't know what the dash looks like on it. Does anyone have a pic of their TCH with the JBL non-nav system?

3) How does the JBL system sound? I've always been an aftermarket kind of guy but I'd prefer not to mess with this car if I didn't have to.

4) On the website there seem to be 2 leather packages, but I don't understand what the difference is. What is the difference between leather trimmed and leather faced.

Any caveats I should be looking out for?

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hy-Curious with questions

3). JBL is perfect......but the only stations I listed to are WFAN (24/7 sports talk radio) and Bloomberg (business radio) ...and occassionally I put on another station for traffic

If you like to listen to music...you will need to upgrade.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:18 AM
MTF
Enthusiast

I'll just add that I am someone who has not had a problem with the NAV unit, the times I have used navigation is has gotten me there with no problem, mostly I use the screens for the Hybrid system though.
That being said, it is not perfect, the system is not always intuitive to navigate and sometimes I have arguments with the navigation voice about which way to go (not that the nav is off, just that some times I know better routes that may not one of the shortest or on main roads, but then again I am in the Boston area), of course that is mostly to keep myself amused in slow traffic.
As far as your other questions...I'm not sure...especially since my leather options were more of 'do you want it or not?'

Old 12-14-2007, 10:52 AM

Although I have complained that the NAV system is missing roads that should be on it, and that it doesn't always pick the route that makes the most sense to me - I do have to admit that it still does a fairly reasonable job of getting me to places that I have never been before. I far prefer to have the built-in NAV, with all of its quirks, than to have an aftermarket add-on such as I did with my last car. One thing I really like is that it is capable of doing dead-reckoning navigation when you are in an area that is out of sight of the satellites (tunnels, downtown between tall buildings, etc.).

Old 12-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

Well I run a computer/network support business in which I do a lot of driving to unknown places within the San Antonio area. So having GPS would be very nice but I've been without it this long so I don't have my heart set on it.

The big question is does the non-nav version have the screen that shows the hybrid stats? I really do like that.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Frankly I'm perfectly content with my JBL stereo. Radio or (at the moment, really ought to expand/modify my options, hehe) one of two CDs loaded (CD-R and CD-RW with mp3s), listening to music as my goal. Admittedly I'm no snob about it, my ancient cheap stereo from high school is still perfectly good for me at home. I'd say use your own judgement. Give it a shot and see if you're content with it.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:04 AM

Yes, it's on the dashboard inside the speedometer (so you don't have to look away to the NAV screen to see it).

Old 12-14-2007, 11:16 AM

Although the MFD on the speedo is extremely limited in what it shows. The NAV version offers much more information (although being in Canada, mine does not have those screens...), and looks way cool.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:31 AM
SPL

dledeaux — As regards your question (3): The JBL audio system is actually pretty good. It's neutral (i.e., uncolored) in tonal balance, has excellent bass extension, and has more volume capability than I need. Its loudspeaker drivers and amplifiers are quite sophisticated units. I wouldn't even consider "upgrading" mine!

Stan

Old 12-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
dledeaux — As regards your question (3): The JBL audio system is actually pretty good. It's neutral (i.e., uncolored) in tonal balance, has excellent bass extension, and has more volume capability than I need. Its loudspeaker drivers and amplifiers are quite sophisticated units. I wouldn't even consider "upgrading" mine!

Stan
Ditto. I like the stereo that came with the car. When you crank it up to max, the rear view mirror even bounces with the bass. I also like the fact that it is an mp3 player, and that turns the 4-cd changer into a 40-cd changer (my rip rate was 192 kbps, ymmv).

I like the nav too, even though I do not use it much. I mostly use it as a "dont forget to stop at xxx on the way home" so I program the destination to remind me. I also like having the "how many more miles" output available for long trips.

Quick Reply: Hy-Curious with questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands