I don't think they make paint like they used to!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default I don't think they make paint like they used to!

My TCH has a chip off its paint on the side mirror where it touched the side of the house and a scratch on the rear passenger door where someone parked next to me and opened their door into mine.

So help me.....my older Toyotas didn't scratch so easily.

And..........why is there no bumper strip along the side like there was in the past on the Camrys?! What year did they stop putting those on?!

I'm going to get a touch up paint stick soon.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I don't think they make paint like they used to!

Originally Posted by Sky Blue
And..........why is there no bumper strip along the side like there was in the past on the Camrys?! What year did they stop putting those on?!
When they realised that they could offer them as a dealer installed option and charge you more for them.

I paid the extra for mine.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Zippers from my jacket chipped off the paint.: Never seen paint getting chipped off so easily.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

I must have bought a lemon! I was just admiring the paint on my almost year-old TCH today, thinking about how durable it's been.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

My 2007 Kentucky TCH came with body side moldings as a $195 factory installed option listed on the Toyota window sticker (factory option code BM).

I recommend it highly -- especially if you park next to other cars in a parking lot or have children.

It has saved me from countless dings, and makes give the car a slightly different, longer look.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Body Side Mouldings

Thanks all!

I just noticed that they are an accessory which can be got.

Guess I'm getting them!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sky Blue
My TCH has a chip off its paint on the side mirror where it touched the side of the house and a scratch on the rear passenger door where someone parked next to me and opened their door into mine.

So help me.....my older Toyotas didn't scratch so easily.

I'm going to get a touch up paint stick soon.
2007... cause apparently it's the new trend to have the biggest unobstructed door panel. Honestly, most new cars have the flatest door panel in the world while others actually tried to put some curves and design into it to make up for the lack of bodyside mouldings.

The new paints are all water-based so they're more environmentally friendly. As a result, they're softer and more prone to chips and scratches. Our interior house paint is water-based and quite soft. A light fingernail will leave a mark (hence the fingernail marks near the fridge when we lay one hand on the wall and one hand to open the fridge door lol).

Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I made some inquiries on getting them today............

one of the service managers told me they are not available for parts order right now due to "quality control issues". He said that means that there are some complaints about how they are adhering (two sided tape like adhesive).

I'm going to call some other Toyota service shops to see if they say the same thing.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have no problems with my body side mouldings.. The only issue I have is that it appears the dings I get are above the BSM.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have to say that the majority of body side mouldings look terrible. I don't know what is worse, the ding or the bsm.

Quick Reply: I don't think they make paint like they used to!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands