Improving MPG 2007 camry hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Improving MPG 2007 camry hybrid

Hi, new here.

I own a 2007, making combined MPG of 39. Ive read a lot about kits to improve the time E mode is on in the cityway.

1. Connect a battery throght the cable that delivera the power from braking to charge the battery.
2. Adding a backup battery in the trunk that will charge the exist battery.
3. Adding another oem battery that will be charged from the engine/braking, so the use of E mode will be twice.

Anyone knows what can be done by real but home made from the 3 options? Cost?

Old 09-30-2016, 07:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Improving MPG 2007 camry hybrid

Assuming gas $2/gallon and a car that is pulling up to ten years of age, would it be worth the cost??
If someone drives the typical 12,000 miles a year if you're getting 40 MPG you're using 300 gallons, so $600/ year in gas.
If you manage to get yourself up to 45 MPG you're using 270 gallons. So you'd save 30 gallons or $60/year. If gas shoots up to $3/gallon, your savings skyrockets to $90/year.
Is it worth it?

Old 09-30-2016, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Assuming gas $2/gallon and a car that is pulling up to ten years of age, would it be worth the cost??
If someone drives the typical 12,000 miles a year if you're getting 40 MPG you're using 300 gallons, so $600/ year in gas.
If you manage to get yourself up to 45 MPG you're using 270 gallons. So you'd save 30 gallons or $60/year. If gas shoots up to $3/gallon, your savings skyrockets to $90/year.
Is it worth it?
Im driving 22000 miles a year in israel wich gas is 1.5$ liter (almost 6$ per gallon). And how much can it cost? Ive seen result of 70mpg which is almost twice better then my 39mpg. He paid 2000$ to enginer kit 2 kw. Can I build a kit like that by my own in cheaper price? Or can other of the 2 options can be build?

By 39mpg I spent 3200$ a year.
By 70mpg I will spent 1785$ a year.

Last edited by Sharonsapir3; 09-30-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes. Buy electric car. Or, a European diesel with manual transmission. Or a Prius.
You have EXCELLENT mpg for stock TCH.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Yes. Buy electric car. Or, a European diesel with manual transmission. Or a Prius.
You have EXCELLENT mpg for stock TCH.
Yes I know I have 39mpg instead of 34mpg.
But if I can make something in 1000-1500$ that can almost double the mpg its worth it. And they sale the kit in 2000$ so it has to bo possible to make it by myself cheaper.

Maybe taking a few regular car batterys 48 amp and put on the back that will charge the hybrid battery.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:28 AM
Veracitorian Muser

No you can't buy something for $2000 that will double the mileage of your TCH. The most these kits can improve is the seller's bank account. Total fraud. Will likely reduce your mileage just from the added weight.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
No you can't buy something for $2000 that will double the mileage of your TCH. The most these kits can improve is the seller's bank account. Total fraud. Will likely reduce your mileage just from the added weight.
Enginers kits for prius with 4kw made 120mpg.
And the 2kw for fhe camry made 70mpg. How can I build this kit by myself cheaper then 2000$?

Old 10-02-2016, 09:06 AM
Veracitorian Muser

The most efficient production 4-wheel vehicle on the road today is an ALL ELECTRIC BMW i3 at 124 MPG equivalent. The MPG equivalent is based on energy, which equates the total energy content of gasoline to the energy content of a kWh of battery charge. (It just so happens that a unit of gasoline energy purchased at a gas pump costs roughly the same as the same amount of energy purchased off a house electric meter, varying somewhat with the price of gas and electricity across the country.)

You are getting bad data if it claims a Prius can get 120 MPG with ALL of the energy coming from gasoline and all of it having to go through a less than 40% efficient energy conversion (the gas engine) before it gets to the wheels, regardless of how many batteries it has. The i3 uses a battery/inverter/motor energy conversion that is over 70% efficient.

Physics is clear on this, that even a plug-in Prius that gets 100% of it's energy from electricity (and never going over 42 MPH where the gas engine must come on) will never be even close to the efficiency of the i3. The i3 is much lighter (it has a carbon-fiber body), and has a far more efficient drive train. Make no mistake, MPG is first and mostly a measure of efficiency. And, in case you are not clear on how regen plays into this, the i3 has greater percentage of regen than does the Prius as it is capable of capturing far more of the energy generated during regen in its far larger batteries.

If you still disagree, please provide reference links to your claims.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
The most efficient production 4-wheel vehicle on the road today is an ALL ELECTRIC BMW i3 at 124 MPG equivalent. The MPG equivalent is based on energy, which equates the total energy content of gasoline to the energy content of a kWh of battery charge. (It just so happens that a unit of gasoline energy purchased at a gas pump costs roughly the same as the same amount of energy purchased off a house electric meter, varying somewhat with the price of gas and electricity across the country.)

You are getting bad data if it claims a Prius can get 120 MPG with ALL of the energy coming from gasoline and all of it having to go through a less than 40% efficient energy conversion (the gas engine) before it gets to the wheels, regardless of how many batteries it has. The i3 uses a battery/inverter/motor energy conversion that is over 70% efficient.

Physics is clear on this, that even a plug-in Prius that gets 100% of it's energy from electricity (and never going over 42 MPH where the gas engine must come on) will never be even close to the efficiency of the i3. The i3 is much lighter (it has a carbon-fiber body), and has a far more efficient drive train. Make no mistake, MPG is first and mostly a measure of efficiency. And, in case you are not clear on how regen plays into this, the i3 has greater percentage of regen than does the Prius as it is capable of capturing far more of the energy generated during regen in its far larger batteries.

If you still disagree, please provide reference links to your claims.
I didnt quite understand you. Lets say im wrong in the numbers, how can I improve my MPG?

Old 10-03-2016, 06:18 AM
Veracitorian Muser

Driving technique is the most significant way to improve MPG on nearly any car. The manufacturers have all done a GREAT job of getting out as many MPGs as possible within a reasonable budget, and any technological improvements are going to require really big bucks, or violating laws (such as defeating pollution controls or reducing weight by removing safety systems). Smaller costs such as maintaining the car, using high quality detergent gasolines, keeping tires well inflated (I keep my ESh, just like I kept my TCH at 40 psi all around), etc., are helpful. I discovered that extremely careful driving can get the TCH to over 47 MPG, but just routinely driving with MPG in mind and driving with a very light foot and minimal braking (coasting as much as possible to every stop) can easily get 42 MPG. All the good maintenance mentioned above, and normal driving on our TCH got 38-40 MPG.