Insulation around muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Insulation around muffler?

Before I took my car to the shop, I noticed there was a thick, shiny, space age foil-looking wrap around the muffler. When I got my car back, I noticed they didn't put that wrap around the new muffler. What purpose does the foil-type wrap serve and is it a big deal that I don't have it anymore?

Also, what is that strange metal loop that drops down visibly under the back of the car?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Insulation around muffler?

Sounds like a heat shield.

What did you bring the car in for?

Old 02-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Nouveau Performance

Sounds like an in-experienced or careless/clueless individual/group got you. However, it may not be a big issue, this time. The foil wrap is indeed a heat sheild, but for it to be on outside of the muffler, sound like it's more of a sound-deading device than anything. The strange metal loop that droops down is more than likely a muffler mount they simply failed to attach to the new muffler. It's probably not a performance issue, but I would take it back to the shop and complain, and soon, because the metal foil may still be at the top of the trash heap, and even if they refuse to put it back on for you, they should at least have the decency to give it back to you. Definitely have them attach the mount, that's services paid not rendered.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Actually, I think the metal loop you are referring to is a tie-down hook used for shipping. Is there one right behind the muffler, and a similar one on the opposite side of the car?

Old 02-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast

Yes the metal loop I'm referring to is one that I see on all TCHs. It is a bit to the left of the car when looking at the back of it. But I do not see it on any other types of cars. Can it be removed if it's used only for shipping?

My car was in the shop for 2 months after getting rear-ended. They put in many new OEM parts, but they did not put a new shiny thick wrap around the muffler. Is it necessary?

Old 02-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KimikoPi
Yes the metal loop I'm referring to is one that I see on all TCHs. It is a bit to the left of the car when looking at the back of it. But I do not see it on any other types of cars. Can it be removed if it's used only for shipping?

My car was in the shop for 2 months after getting rear-ended. They put in many new OEM parts, but they did not put a new shiny thick wrap around the muffler. Is it necessary?
If it is the shipping loop (only on a Japanese made car) there should be TWO of them. One on each side of the car. The passenger side one is right next to the muffler. The drivers side one protrudes from a slot in the rear air dam.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would go back and have whoever worked on it and have them put the heat shield back on!! I have taken other cars to the shop and find all kinds of little things missing.

Recently, I have been just going back to the dealer for work on the car. I have been lucky in that they have done a good job without stealing parts off the car!!

If the factory's engineers put the shield on the car... You need it!

Enjoy your Fine car!! Bill

Old 02-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Enthusiast

I called the shop and they told me that they did put a brand new heat shield on the muffler, but they put on a metal (perhaps aluminum) heat shield, which is why it looked different from my old heat shield. Is one type better than the other?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Banned

Maybe its just the color? You better ask and verify them... car parts like that are very sensitive.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

KimikoPi — I believe that the metal heat-shield is attached to the body of the car above the muffler, and not to the muffler itself. The muffler gets very hot, and nothing should be wrapped around it or touching it. Your earlier posts suggest that you're talking about some kind of thermal wrapping around the muffler itself. There should be none. I suggest that you go to a Toyota dealer, lie down, and have a look at the muffler area of a TCH to see for yourself what it should look like.

Stan

Quick Reply: Insulation around muffler?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands