Jump Starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Jump Starting

This is a question for the techies!

As there is no dead battery protection on the TCH I am paranoid that one morning I will come down and find one or more of the interior lights have been left on and the battery is dead.

If this does happen is it the 12 V battery that dies? And if so can the car be jumpstarted the same way you would jumpstart a nonhybrid car?

Old 09-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Jump Starting

Yes. Jumping the TCH from another car isn't anything special.

But I would be real careful if you wanted to give someone else a jump.

I would do the following:

1 - Physically collect the key from the donor vehicle. Put it in your pocket. You absolutely don't want the other car to be started at this point.

2 - connect the jumper cables to the other car

3 - make sure your car is on and wait perhaps 10-15 minutes. This will charge the dead battery.

4 - disconnect the jumper cables

5 - now try and start the other car. If it doesn't start, you probably won't get it to work. Call AAA or get a "standard" car to do the jump.

If you try starting the dead car with your car and the cables are hooked up, you could blowing a fuse or possibly damage something on your car. The Toyota hybrids don't have a low tech alternator or a big starting battery that can handle the large current draws from a starter motor.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

My TCH died a few months ago. It was enough to hook the jumpers up to my Odyssey van, and then to the 12V battery on the TCH. The TCH started right away, without even starting the van.

I didn't do anything special when it came to hooking it up though. Treat it as you would a normal jump procedure.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:29 AM
pjp
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulgw
As there is no dead battery protection on the TCH . . .
Really? I don't remember the details, but I came away from reading the manual when I first received the car thinking that pretty much everything that would drain the battery would automatically shut down, in settings where running down the battery would be likely to happen. Was that my imagination?

Old 09-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a truck that I only drive a few times a year and have to jump every time. I have used the TCH to jump it at least 3 times, and I did not wait 15 minutes for the truck battery to charge. I usually just wait about 2 minutes.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pjp
Really? I don't remember the details, but I came away from reading the manual when I first received the car thinking that pretty much everything that would drain the battery would automatically shut down, in settings where running down the battery would be likely to happen. Was that my imagination?
I haven't checked the manual, but it appears to me (an others with dead batteries) that there IS NO rundown protection.

Another Toyota non-feature that was standard on a $10,000 Chevy Caviler...

Old 09-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris_h
I have a truck that I only drive a few times a year and have to jump every time. I have used the TCH to jump it at least 3 times, and I did not wait 15 minutes for the truck battery to charge. I usually just wait about 2 minutes.
Are you removing the jumper cables before you start the truck?

Old 09-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n8kwx
Yes. Jumping the TCH from another car isn't anything special......

3 - make sure your car is on and wait perhaps 10-15 minutes. This will charge the dead battery.

4 - disconnect the jumper cables

5 - now try and start the other car. If it doesn't start, you probably won't get it to work. Call AAA or get a "standard" car to do the jump.
Thanks for all the input. If I understand you correctly I have to find a good samariton who is willing to hang around for 10 to 15 minutes to charge up my battery and risk finding that his battery is then dead!! Seems that jump starting a TCH is very special!

Old 09-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input. If I understand you correctly I have to find a good samariton who is willing to hang around for 10 to 15 minutes to charge up my battery and risk finding that his battery is then dead!! Seems that jump starting a TCH is very special!
Sorry if I wasn't too clear. Jumping the TCH isn't special and not much to worry about.

In fact it is easier to jump. The TCH does not have a starter motor that draws 100s of amps. It only needs a few perhaps tens of amps to "boot" the computers.

It is the other way around (jumping another dead car WITH your TCH) that could damage your car.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think you got it the other way around. Re-read his post.

Quick Reply: Jump Starting

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands