Loud vibration when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Loud vibration when accelerating

Hello

This is my first hybrid I'm looking to buy and I test drove a 2007 Camry Hybrid with only 81,000km.

I test drove this car at dealership and noticed something strange but not sure if this is normal since I've never owned a hybrid before.

When I accelerate either lifting my foot off the accelerator or press down on the accelerator, the car makes a somewhat loud (not hard to hear and clearly noticable) vibration sound. I thought it was my phone vibrating or something but realized it was the car.

I stopped the car in a parking lot and took my foot off the brake/accelerator and when the car begins to move, the same noise appears again, its just a loud vibration that lasts for a quick like 2 seconds and goes away but does it each time i stop and accelerate. It doesn't sound like its the engine starting up but sounds very artificial like maybe it's supposed to vibrate to tell you something? I have no clue i've never owned a hybrid before. I assumed it was a vibration to tell you the engines on and you're not in EV anymore, but dont think that's the case as even when i lift my foot off the pedal and the car moves forward, it vibrates for 2 secs. everything else is normal.

What is the issue? I looked around a bit and some people are saying it could be water pump, torque mount or idle pully or something else, just trying to see if anyone here has had a similar problem..

I'm thinking to get the car to a Toyota dealership to get it inspected before purchase.

Last edited by Cheque; 11-17-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Professor Emeritus
Default Re: Loud vibration when accelerating

Originally Posted by Cheque
Hello

This is my first hybrid I'm looking to buy and I test drove a 2007 Camry Hybrid with only 81,000km.

I test drove this car at dealership and noticed something strange but not sure if this is normal since I've never owned a hybrid before.

When I accelerate either lifting my foot off the accelerator or press down on the accelerator, the car makes a somewhat loud (not hard to hear and clearly noticable) vibration sound. I thought it was my phone vibrating or something but realized it was the car.

I stopped the car in a parking lot and took my foot off the brake/accelerator and when the car begins to move, the same noise appears again, its just a loud vibration that lasts for a quick like 2 seconds and goes away but does it each time i stop and accelerate. It doesn't sound like its the engine starting up but sounds very artificial like maybe it's supposed to vibrate to tell you something? I have no clue i've never owned a hybrid before. I assumed it was a vibration to tell you the engines on and you're not in EV anymore, but dont think that's the case as even when i lift my foot off the pedal and the car moves forward, it vibrates for 2 secs. everything else is normal.

What is the issue? I looked around a bit and some people are saying it could be water pump, torque mount or idle pully or something else, just trying to see if anyone here has had a similar problem..

I'm thinking to get the car to a Toyota dealership to get it inspected before purchase.
That is not normal. The car should be "silky smooth" all the time. Definitely get it looked at if you are considering a purchase!

Old 11-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There are a gazillion used cars out there. Don't waste time looking at a car that has "issues". Hybrids are great, but wait for another one to show up. This isn't the only one

Old 11-20-2013, 03:31 PM

Well, truly, there is a shudder, small or noticeable, when ICE kicks in. Don't tell no one it's "silky smooth". And that shudder may vary in intensity quite a bit. You eventually get used to this.
There are only 2 situations when she's "silky"

1. When you take off and ICE is already running
2. When you taking off in EV mode.

The very moment ICE turns on, you'll notice it. And it can be quite a shudder.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:49 PM

I stopped the car in a parking lot and took my foot off the brake/accelerator and when the car begins to move, the same noise appears again, its just a loud vibration that lasts for a quick like 2 seconds and goes away but does it each time i stop and accelerate. It doesn't sound like its the engine starting up but sounds very artificial like maybe it's supposed to vibrate to tell you something?

I bet it's ICE turning on and off. With engine mounts maybe worn out a bit. But if you thought it's PHONE vibrating, I wouldn't be much concerned with it. Mine does worse than that and I am not worried.
And definitely like a mount needs to be replaced.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:27 PM

It sounds like a bad CV joint to me. Easy to find out by going to a open area in a large parking lot. Go slow like 3 mph and turn the steering wheel all the way to lock in one direction. Do this with the front windows down if it's quiet outside. Listen for any metallic sounds. Then turn the steering wheel all the way to lock in the opposite direction and see if the noise increases.

Some pump the brake while slowly accelerating while in the full turn. This will for sure show up any problem with the CV joint.

The car may be ok, but I would have the seller fix this problem first. At just over 50000 miles I doubt this problem is a CV joint other than if the rubber boot is torn and one of the joints lost it's grease. Any mechanic could inspect the boots and prove quickly if they are good or bad.

Last edited by rburt07; 11-22-2013 at 01:30 PM.