Metallic vs. non metallic paint

Old 06-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Metallic vs. non metallic paint

So my beloved TCH, with a ding in the windshild, now has a big ding in the hood as well. Given the size of the boulder bouncing off the hood, I'm surprised Earth is still in its normal orbit. Anyway, grumble, grumble, I touched up the paint of my non-metallic SuperWhite and came to realize the paint seems pretty durable. A couple of door dings have also not broken the paint. The car is also not showing scratches, despite a couple of kids dragging all sorts of stuff across the car. Am I just lucky, am I blind, or is non-metallic paint more durable than metallic paint? Maybe the undercoat is white, so I don't see blemishes? I dunno.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Metallic vs. non metallic paint

Freeze,

KY or Japan?

Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Your white paint is much more damage resistant than metallic colors, especially darker ones.

I have a Mag Grey and every little imperfection will show. Even small surface scratches.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LEAKYTCH
Your white paint is much more damage resistant than metallic colors, especially darker ones.

I have a Mag Grey and every little imperfection will show. Even small surface scratches.
Amen, black sucks too. I love the color but darn, does it have to get so many rub marks by just looking at it?

We need a rock-hard clear coat.

What makes a paint metallic?

Old 06-19-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
We need a rock-hard clear coat.
I just had Ziebart's Diamond Gloss clear coat put on mine, with the ClearShield paint protection film put on the front. I don't yet know how well the Diamond Gloss will help against marking, but it sure looks nice right now!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by rmorrow
I just had Ziebart's Diamond Gloss clear coat put on mine, with the ClearShield paint protection film put on the front. I don't yet know how well the Diamond Gloss will help against marking, but it sure looks nice right now!
How much did that cost you? I also have two paint blemishes on the hood. I am truly disappointed with the paint quality. It is my number one complaint for the car.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
How much did that cost you? I also have two paint blemishes on the hood. I am truly disappointed with the paint quality. It is my number one complaint for the car.
It cost a small fortune, but then, I didn't try to negotiate - I just wanted it done. So, $750 CDN altogether.

The kicker is that on the ClearShield application, they couldn't do the nose piece around the grill as one piece, so they cut it. Now that doesn't bother me so much, but on one side the cut was so crooked, and left such a big gap, that from a distance it looked like a scratch. So I took it back at lunch time today, and complained that for $500 (the ClearShield portion) I expected a better job than I can do myself (and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have messed it up that badly). After I hinted that my showing off this job wasn't the best advertising Ziebart could have, they agreed to redo it - so I get it done next Monday.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by rmorrow
It cost a small fortune, but then, I didn't try to negotiate - I just wanted it done. So, $750 CDN altogether.

The kicker is that on the ClearShield application, they couldn't do the nose piece around the grill as one piece, so they cut it. Now that doesn't bother me so much, but on one side the cut was so crooked, and left such a big gap, that from a distance it looked like a scratch. So I took it back at lunch time today, and complained that for $500 (the ClearShield portion) I expected a better job than I can do myself (and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have messed it up that badly). After I hinted that my showing off this job wasn't the best advertising Ziebart could have, they agreed to redo it - so I get it done next Monday.
Interesting....thanks for the info.

And good job getting them to do it again.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abward
Freeze,

KY or Japan?
Early one, from Japan.