Missing inner fuel "hatch"

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Missing inner fuel "hatch"

Ok, this is kind of a strange question, but here goes:

The last time I filled up, I noticed when I unscrewed the fuel tank cap, that the little "door" or "hatch" inside was missing! Now, obviously I popped the door from inside, unscrewed the cap, and usually I would see a little black door or hatch blocking where you insert the nozzle, which easily moves aside/in to allow the nozzle to slide all the way in.

Where'd it go? Nozzle or no nozzle, it doesn't seem to be there anymore. Is this a problem? Should I have the service guys take a look?

Also, what on earth is this for anyway, is it to keep things from accidentally falling into the tank? I don't think I had one on my Corolla, but I did notice that my mom's Volvo has one.

Thanks guys, I'm counting on your expertise!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Missing inner fuel "hatch"

I believe it's to keep vapors from coming back up out of the fill tube when you don't have the nozzle inserted. My guess would be that either it's stuck up and out of the way where you can't see it, or it may have broken off completely some how and gone down the tube (something I've never heard of happening before).

If it's gone down into the fuel tank, it might cause a problem with the pump, etc. And if they tell you it will, it's probably going to be a huge pain in the a.... wallet to get out.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That flap should be covered under warranty, no?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

i thought that "flap" was electronically controlled? From what i got out of the owners manual, when you open your gas door, it also opens up the vapor lock. Thats why it tells you that you have to finish fueling in 30 min from opening it or it will reshut the vapor lock. Also, thats why they have that secondary gas opening in the trunk if for some reason you can't open the primary gas tank opening.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:42 AM

The flap/"hatch" was to prevent someone fueling with leaded fuel. Now that there is virtually no leaded fuel available in the US there is no need for the fueling nozzle size restriction nor the gravity flow spring loaded "flip" door/vane.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Professional Hacker

The TCH doesn't have a little "flap".
It was used to keep the vapors in the tank, though it never worked well. The TCH has a vapor recovery system (the reason you sometimes have to wait to fuel up) There should be no vapors coming out when the cap is off, so there is no need for the flap.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Intrus
It was used to keep the vapors in the tank, though it never worked well.

Yes, dammit, with that "hatch", spring-loaded so as to so quickly snap shut to trap the fuel vapors once you removed the fueling nozzle wasn't it such a nuisance to have to install the gas cap, still...???

The TCH has a vapor recovery system (the reason you sometimes have to wait to fuel up) There should be no vapors coming out when the cap is off, so there is no need for the flap.

Last edited by wwest; 08-20-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:09 PM

Ah....the benefit of living in the Garden State.
Here, self service is illegal.
I've had my TCH since November and haven't ever pumped my own gas....not looking forward to it, either!
With the wonderful tank range for the car, I don't know if I ever will. I can easily round trip it to Mass. and MD (the two states I'm likely to drive to).
I don't know what the filler tube looks like.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for your input guys. I'll ask the service people what they think, and I'll let you know what the verdict is. So far, I haven't seen any ill effects FE or otherwise (again, this is my second tank since I noticed this thing was missing).

I sure hope this isn't a pain in the...wallet!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Intrus
It was used to keep the vapors in the tank, though it never worked well. The TCH has a vapor recovery system (the reason you sometimes have to wait to fuel up) There should be no vapors coming out when the cap is off, so there is no need for the flap.
Just filled up this morning, and lo and behold, no flap! I was so used to seeing it on my old cars, I never really noticed there isn't one on this car.

Quick Reply: Missing inner fuel "hatch"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands