MPG increase since switching to synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow MPG increase by switching to synthetic oil

My TCH has more than 7,000 miles now (they grow up so fast). At my first oil change, I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

I just finished a spreadsheet to compare mileage before vs. after synthetic, and will continue to compare as I add new tanks.

The MPG gains with synthetic oil seem to be impressive. I discarded the first two tanks of data after the oil change, because the dealer had lowered my tire pressures to 30 PSI or below, when I had been running 40+ PSI.

When I compare my tanks BEFORE switching oil to my tanks AFTER switching, there is a 8.15 percent gain in MPG using synthetic oil. Will keep you posted on whether this significant gain may continue over time. So far, I'm liking it.

Regular oil: 36.2 MPG average; synthetic oil: 39.1 MPG average. YMMV.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 10-02-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG increase since switching to synthetic oil

We noticed a MPG gain as well. However, it may be attributed to general break-in or running the A/C less now that it is starting to get cooler. Any chance that these may be factors Steve?

Old 10-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Arrow Re: MPG increase since switching to synthetic oil

I use my A/C 100% of the time, and the change was instantaneous rather than gradual. I tend to think it's the oil. Will keep checking...

Old 10-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I calculate a 9.27% improvement in FE just by wearing black socks. YMMV.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

My wife is reporting that she has gone from 37 before oil change to 41 now. We have about 2500 miles on the car and just got the oil change.
All in commuter driving from Town to the suburbs.

In any case, I'm durn impressed!!

Old 10-02-2006, 08:08 PM

Scooters, you didn't mention if your oil change was from regular to synthetic ...?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by jasaulsbury
(Re-posted from another topic/thread) I talked to the parts manager today and was informed that toyota is using full synthetic 0W-20 as a factory fill for all Camrys. I will ask him for a copy of his source document and let you know what I find out.
If Toyota is filling our new TCHs with synthetic oil from the factory, there must be another explanation for my sudden boost in mileage. Hmmmm. In the words of Emily Litella, "Never mind."

Old 10-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
If Toyota is filling our new TCHs with synthetic oil from the factory, there must be another explanation for my sudden boost in mileage. Hmmmm. In the words of Emily Litella, "Never mind."
I was told by the general manager at my dealership to leave the original oil in for the full 5,000 miles because it was a special Toyota blend. Might mean synthetic.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by schmidtj
I calculate a 9.27% improvement in FE just by wearing black socks. YMMV.
Schmedtj. A useless statistic unless you tell us what color socks you were wearing prior to your fuel increase.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:34 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Orcrone
Schmedtj. A useless statistic unless you tell us what color socks you were wearing prior to your fuel increase.
My appologies. Previously I would wear one red and one brown sock on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: MPG increase since switching to synthetic oil

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands