My TCH ran for 4 days, unoccupied (don't laugh)!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast
Angry My TCH ran for 4 days, unoccupied (don't laugh)!

Ok, since I don't know anyone on this forum and it may help someone...here is one of the dumbest things I have done in a while.

Starting a short vacation, my wife and I drove to the airport long term parking. As I parked I noticed the shuttle van already waiting behind us. I unplugged my phone, got the charger, hopped out quickly and got the luggage out of the trunk and we were on our way.
Four days later we returned, walked around the lot and pressed the panic button to find her (TCH) and heard a little noise in the engine as I approached and put the luggage away in the trunk. Hum.

Then as we got in we noticed how cold it was inside??? Well I thought, how nice, my little Camry must have cooled herself down as a result of the panic button??? Then my wife and I noticed at the same time WE HAVE NO GAS!!! And the battery indicator was 1/4 or less!!!! Obviously the TCH had cycled on/off for 4 days in order to keep proper temperature!!

I thought I am in trouble but thank goodness there was a gasoline station across from the parking lot. I put in 17 gallons on the nose!!

I THOUGHT the TCH shut itself off after an hour to cover for mistakes like this? Did I leave it in Drive, and not lock it either??? Good Grief, what combination of events can get the car running till it is empty!???

oh well, my wife is convinced I damaged the car. I told her it is made to cycle on/off and is just fine!?!?

Live and learn.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My TCH ran for 4 days, unoccupied (don't laugh)!

Lucky that you still had gas in the car so that the electric power didn't completely take over. Read the forum and you will see all kinds of stories about valets that park the car and leave it in ACC mode, or otherwise fail to shut off the engine properly. Many people have had their batteries completely drained. You should note that your owner's manual gives you the specific instructions on what to do if you completely drain your hybrid battery and can't start the car. (It's more than just a normal 12V jump)

Old 07-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Professional Hacker

shouldn't it power off once the key if out of range?

Old 07-17-2008, 12:39 AM

Someone in the forms said it's best to watch the digital clock just below the center of the windshield. Put the car in park, push the power button once. If the clock is not lit up, your engine is off till you start it again.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-17-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:05 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
Someone in the forms said it's best to watch the digital clock just below the center of the windshield. Put the car in park, push the power button once. If the clock is not lit up, your engine is off till you start it again.
I watch my clock religously!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Intrus
shouldn't it power off once the key if out of range?
NO!
The car can drive when the engine is on.
You can drive the car without the key in range.
Then if you turn it off and you wont be able to turn it back on again (without the key).

Last edited by haroldo; 07-17-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

The car being allowed to run without the keyfob present is a safety issue. Would you like it to stop running on the interstate if the battery in the keyfob dies and the car cannot sense it?

It will continue to run until someone shuts it off. You can then re-start the car after replacing the bettery or holding the keyfob up to the start button as outlined in the manual.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:04 AM
old fart

dont feel alone.I think we all have one time or another left the car running and caught our mistake when the car would beap more than once.I seen someplace a guy in new york left his running on the street all night.and the next day nothing was missing.He was lucky.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

thats amazing, i had thought about that situation because it is tougher to tell if its off.

I always watch the dash instruments to make sure its off.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Enthusiast

Don't feel too badly, I think every one of us has done this, though you likely hold the record for length of time. Mine was only about 45 minutes but still it really bothered me when I discovered it. If you read some of the notes, you will see how lucky you were that you had enough gas so you didn't drain the hybrid battery.

This is definitely an issue with the TCH. The same thing can happen with my wife's keyless Lexus (ES 350) but since it is a conventional engine you can hear it running.

I'm sure now you'll never do this again....it's just so easy to do (at first).

With the keyless system you won't really know if you did lock it or not since of course the door will open for you even it if had been locked if you are carrying the key.

As convenient as the keyless system is (and I love how I don't need a key for the trunk), still between the key trying to talk to the cell phone and wearing down the battery; the cost of the crazy thing if it's lost; the potential temporary confusion in some areas of high EMF; and this leaving the car running I think I'd prefer just an old fashioned key.

But then too I'm old enough to remember when TV was worth watching

Still, I love my TCH.

Don

Quick Reply: My TCH ran for 4 days, unoccupied (don't laugh)!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands