NAV System, is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default NAV System, is this right?

Hi,
I am thinking of purchasing this Toyota Nav from eBay for my Japanese made 2007 Toyota Camry HV with JBL.

<link removed>

The seller claims that he has the instructions to make the consumption screen/energy screen work and says I do not need anything else to make it work. Is this correct? From what I read in the forums, it says you need some CAN module or something like that. Is this seller correct or misleading?
Thanks everyone,
Paul

Last edited by ptung07; 10-15-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAV System, is this right?

Originally Posted by ptung07
Hi,
I am thinking of purchasing this Toyota Nav from eBay for my Japanese made 2007 Toyota Camry HV with JBL.

"URL deleted by request"

The seller claims that he has the instructions to make the consumption screen/energy screen work and says I do not need anything else to make it work. Is this correct? From what I read in the forums, it says you need some CAN module or something like that. Is this seller correct or misleading?
Thanks everyone,
Paul

Paul, the seller also says this

JBL SOUND SYSTEM AND VOICE COMMAND MICROPHONE IS REQUIRED

IF YOUR CAR IS NOT EQUIPPED WITH JBL SOUND AND MICROPHONE SYSTEM THEN YOU WILL NEED TO ACQUIRE ONE FOR A SUCCESSFUL INSTALLATION

Last edited by jbollt; 10-15-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks jbollt,
Yes, my 2007 Camry has the JBL system and bluetooth system built in. Is this existing system/amp/mic setup compatible with the Nav?
My main concern is the energy consumption screen...Will it work with my system like the seller said?
Additionally, will my AUX port that came with the car still work?
Thanks again everyone, Paul
There was a thread awhile back where some Canadian TCH owners tried to get the NAV installed after purchase, and If I remember correctly (?) they ran into problems getting the energy screens to work. Maybe if you are able to find those threads with a search of this forum, the answer you seek might be there, or at least some poster to contact for info.

added: Try this: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...15/index9.html

or this: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...55/#post141555

Last edited by jbollt; 09-28-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added links
Old 09-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
There was a thread awhile back where some Canadian TCH owners tried to get the NAV installed after purchase, and If I remember correctly (?) they ran into problems getting the energy screens to work. Maybe if you are able to find those threads with a search of this forum, the answer you seek might be there, or at least some poster to contact for info.
Canadian 2007 TCH owners who had the NAV installed after purchase by the dealers got the NAV intended for a regular Camry XLE so there are no energy screens to be gotten.

I know I am one of those suckers who Toyota ripped off.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:56 PM

Paul[/QUOTE]

1. If the seller says, "that's all you need. . ." I'd be skeptical. Especially if, ". . .you need some CAN module or something like that." Which should tell you you may be walking into unknown territory relative to your experience and ability.
2. Maybe this should be 1. . .But I'd check with Toyota.
3. My understanding is that a scan gauge (what ever that is) gives the same info., and better.
4. LOTSA LUCK!

Last edited by centrider; 10-15-2008 at 05:55 AM. Reason: quote deleted at ptung07's request, 10/15/08
Old 09-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

let us know how it works out for you.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:06 PM
The Regenerator

If you're going to give it a try, kudos to you for the willingness! If you're after Nav, just go with a good wide screen after-market unit. I got a barely-used, non-nav TCH as a replacement for my 04 Nav-Prius, and I thought I'd miss nav. Wrong. I got an after-market Magellan unit, which is vastly superior to the stock Toyota in-dash unit, in all respects, except for the awkwardness of the suction cup mount and cord. Beyond that, the Magellan works better than the Toyota unit in virtually all measurable parameters. I missed the Prius consumption and energy screens for about two days until I realized that all the data they present in available in a non-nav TCH, just in a less flashy (bur more visible) presentation.

Think it through and be very careful before you perform (or pay someone to perform) neurosurgery on your TCH,

Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry for being late to the game but I have purchased a nav system for my hybrid from these guys and was very happy with it. The instructions provided were very accurate and i was able to get the system up and going with energy screens without any issues. BTW CAN does not mean Canadian it is some sort of language that the Hybrid system uses to communicate.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Try another dealer like www.oemvalue.com or something similar. Make sure the part number is correct. E7011
For what it's worth I've e-mailed oemvalue three times to try to get them to correct their web site that it's not a simple matter of connecting 4 wires, and that you have to get the correct E7011 unit. I never got a response, and the "wrong" info is still there.
I see another user posted a message to their forums asking if they could get the E7011, but never got a response.

I know of another user that bought a unit from them and was happy with the service. It was an E7012 before we knew the difference in nav models. Worked fine in his hybrid, without the energy screens of course. Just be sure if you do buy from OEM you are getting the right unit.

Cheers!

Dang

P.S.
Glad to hear it's all working!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Pragmatist

The acronym "CAN" means Car Area Network. It is the local area network that the computers in the car use to communicate with each other.

Quick Reply: NAV System, is this right?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands