? for Navigation Owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 04:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default ? for Navigation Owners

When you press the "Info" button does the Information menu include a "Trip Information" option, (to access the expanded fuel/energy monitoring screens)?

My Info menu shows only 5 options and does not include "Trip Information", as shown on page 254 of the Owners Manual. I am trying to find out if this is because I have the Canadian dealer installed Nav. system or because they did not install it properly. I am hoping it's the latter so I can get this corrected!

Old 11-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: ? for Navigation Owners

Mine shows Trip Info!

Old 11-26-2006, 09:25 AM
07 Camry Hybrid!

Sounds like the dealer messed up. I don't have the manual handy, but my screen definitely has the trip info option. I use it all the time.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulgw
When you press the "Info" button does the Information menu include a "Trip Information" option, (to access the expanded fuel/energy monitoring screens)?

My Info menu shows only 5 options and does not include "Trip Information", as shown on page 254 of the Owners Manual. I am trying to find out if this is because I have the Canadian dealer installed Nav. system or because they did not install it properly. I am hoping it's the latter so I can get this corrected!
Wow, for me, this is deja vu!

Two months ago my TCH's Navigation CD changer jammed and I could not eject any CDs. The dealer had to order a replacement Navigation/Radio/CD unit. It took about one month to get the replacement unit in. After it was replaced, I went to the car and tried to call up the Trip Information screen. (I normally display either Energy or Consumption.) I couldn't find it.

After checking with Service Dept. and Parts Dept. , I was told that the TCH unit was SO new that the hybrid and non-hybrid units had the same part number and that the non-hybrid unit was sent by mistake. They would have to order the correct one. Rather than keeping the working CD unit, I asked them to put the old malfunctioning CD player unit in so at least I could monitor the system better than I could with the small dash display.

It took about three weeks to get in the CORRECT unit. It was installed yesterday. While talking with the Service Writer, I found out that Toyota Warranty Parts Department (not sure if it was local or corporate level) had the hybrid unit on long back-order and rather than have me wait for a long time, they decided to send me the "standard" unit. (I guess they hoped I wouldn't notice?)

My suggestion: Have your dealer VERIFY that you have the correct navigation/radio/CD changer unit installed specify that the hybrid and non-hybrid units ARE different!)

Last edited by JHSmith; 11-26-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was under the impression the Canadian TCH NAV system was dealer installed as an option. Correct me if i am wrong. If this is so, they may have installed the unit that goes in an XLE instead.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gandyfire
I was under the impression the Canadian TCH NAV system was dealer installed as an option. Correct me if i am wrong. If this is so, they may have installed the unit that goes in an XLE instead.
I believe this is the case and they don't seem to care.

When I questioned this, I was told I asked for Nav to be installed they installed Nav. End of story.

They also gave me the manual for a Lexus Nav system and again I was told this is the one you get in Canada.

When I also questioned the fact that version 5.1 software came with my Nav and there was a newer version available, I was told phone the 1-800 number in the manual and deal with them directly.

It was at this point I told them that I assume that customer service ended with the sale. I haven't heard from them since and don't really expect to.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, it seems almost certain I must have the XLE Nav unit (something I would not have thought of).

I will discuss with the dealer tommorrow, but I'm sure without input from this forum I would have been fobbed off with some c ock and bull story!

This is the 2nd problem already with my dealer installed navigation unit, it's hard to understand why Toyota, Kentucky ships cars for US customers who have ordered navigation complete with the unit while cars for Canadian customers coming from the same plant, navigation is only available as a dealer installed option. The dealer in my case had never installed one before and doesn't know what he's doing so I'm being made a guinea pig!

Also I understand in the US Toyota says is not possible to add navigation after the car leaves the factory however this is the only way they do it in Canada!

Will let you know how I make out.

Last edited by Paulgw; 11-26-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, it seems almost certain I must have the XLE Nav unit (something I would not have thought of).

I will discuss with the dealer tommorrow, but I'm sure without input from this forum I would have been fobbed off with some c ock and bull story as to why I do not have the hybrid specific display!
Will let you know how I make out.
Update!

I spoke to my dealer this morning, he called me back with someone from Toyota Canada Technical Assistance on the line. Basically what I was told was YOU ordered the "dealer installed" navigation system, (my only choice as this is the only way they sell it in Canada)! He went on to say dealer installed navigation systems do not include the hybrid displays. Also said the Owner's Manuals you received show the "factory installed" navigation system.

Regardless of what I said he kept inferring than it was my fault because I had ordered the "dealer installed" navigation system! Nowhere in any of the literature I have received including the manuals does it indicate that there is a difference between factory and dealer installations. The Navigation Manual in particular is bilingual, English and French so must have been printed specifically for the Canadian market.

I have now been passed over to the customer help people who have promised to get back to me within five to seven days. However from their attitude so far I am not holding out much hope of getting any satisfaction.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

Tell them you don't want the navigation if it is not a complete system as you expected.

Then find a good dealer to install the correct version.

If that does not work, just drive the car into the dealer's salesfloor and hand the key to a lot lizard telling them you don't want to put up with their crud anymore.

Man, I am glad I worked with a good dealer.

I think my us version navigation book is in french and english.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Update!

I spoke to my dealer this morning, he called me back with someone from Toyota Canada Technical Assistance on the line. Basically what I was told was YOU ordered the "dealer installed" navigation system, (my only choice as this is the only way they sell it in Canada)! He went on to say dealer installed navigation systems do not include the hybrid displays. Also said the Owner's Manuals you received show the "factory installed" navigation system.

Regardless of what I said he kept inferring than it was my fault because I had ordered the "dealer installed" navigation system! Nowhere in any of the literature I have received including the manuals does it indicate that there is a difference between factory and dealer installations. The Navigation Manual in particular is bilingual, English and French so must have been printed specifically for the Canadian market.

I have now been passed over to the customer help people who have promised to get back to me within five to seven days. However from their attitude so far I am not holding out much hope of getting any satisfaction.
Have you heard anything more from Toyota Canada.

I just got back from a meeting with my Toyota dealer here in Calgary regarding the dealer installed NAV and the fact that I feel Toyota has misrepresented it here in Canada. No-one said in any way prior to the sale that the NAV was not the same as the one that comes from the factory.

They fully agreed with me and said that they were not at all happy with the way Toyota Canada was handling this issue. Apparently the NAV for the Camry Hybrid has exactly the same part number as the NAV for the Camry XLE so no "Trip info or Energy Screen".

Unfortunately the bottom line appears to be we are stuck with what we have they are unlikely to change it.

I am also curious as to what you manual is like? The one that came with my NAV system is actually one for a Lexus it not even for a Camry of any kind. I'm told even though the hardware itself is different all the touch screens and NAV functions are the same so this is what you get like it or lump it.

Quick Reply: ? for Navigation Owners

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands