Navigation - "This route uses private roads."

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Navigation - "This route uses private roads."

Hey folks,

I am planning a trip to South Carolina (from New York) and the last time I went south I used Google Maps for directions. I did that because I did not like the routing algorithm the TCH NAV uses (it took me inland a LOT).

This time around, I kind of want to put the NAV to the test. But, I am concerned by the fact that 2 of the the 3 suggested routes made a claim that they used "private roads." The other route was the route that took me inland.

So, does anyone know exactly what that means and what situation it will put me in if I were to take the routes that use "private roads"?

Thanks!
Mike

Old 07-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Default Re: Navigation - "This route uses private roads."

Save a few bucks (no tolls)...take 287 to Rte. 78 West to 81 South

Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
Save a few bucks (no tolls)...take 287 to Rte. 78 West to 81 South
Yeah, that's the go inland route (I 81). I plan to avoid the NJTP and Garden State but if I am forced to take one, it would be Garden. I'll look into 287 and 78 to see where they go. If I use the TCH NAV, I can tell it to avoid toll roads.

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 07-02-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 AM

No...you can pick up 287 from the NY Thruway (exit 15) or from the TZ Bridge and avoid the GSPkway.
I visit MD often and always take the inland route. There is one toll the whole way down ($1.00 at the NJ/PA border and it's a one way toll).
I-95,etc. is ~$15 just to MD.
I wouldn't tell it to avoid toll roads, since you may end up getting off a highway and drive local roads just to avoid a $1.00 toll.
Just take 81 and you should be okay.
It's a very scenic route (Pa. farmland, etc.)

Old 07-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

This doesn't address your "private road" comment, but I'd like to second haroldo's suggested route. Traveling back home from upstate NY to the Phila. area several times a year, we take that exact route.

Depending on the time of day, I-287 at certain areas can be a minor irritation, but NOTHING like the GSP. Don't know for sure how I-78 is west of Bethlehem, PA or I-81, but I do ANYTHING to avoid the GSP and NJTP.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:05 PM

Would those routes work well for going to Myrtle Beach, SC though? For some reason it seems like going inland would take longer and more miles? I have driven I81 a number of times to VA Beach when I lived in Syracuse, NY (central NY).

Old 07-02-2008, 03:45 PM

even if it's an extra 30 miles (and it wont be that much) staying off of I-95 will be the best 30 miles you ever drove.

Last edited by haroldo; 07-02-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:49 AM

Hmm, I've taken a closer look at the Google directions and it has me on 95 from NJ to SC (except for a small detour on 295) since I am going to Myrtle Beach.

This looks like your suggested route. (796 mi – about 13 hours 30 mins)

This is the default route. (766 mi – about 12 hours 53 mins)

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 07-03-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

What I find impressive about this discussion is that Haroldo NAILED the 30 mile difference. If that was a guesstimate, my hat's off to him.

Normally I'm an "as the crow flies" kinda guy whenever possible, but avoiding that GSP/NJTP/I-95 corridor is worth the extra 30 miles to me. In a TCH, that's probably 2/3 of a gallon of gas.

Of course, you could always try alternating routes and see which one you prefer.

PS The "inland" Google route puts you on PA-15 and I have no knowledge of that. You could just stay on I-81 to I-70 but that would add even more miles.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by BobBass
What I find impressive about this discussion is that Haroldo NAILED the 30 mile difference. If that was a guesstimate, my hat's off to him....
It was a total guess, but I do have a talent in this regard, although I would have preferred it if my talent was one that has commercial appeal (like being able to play golf like Tiger Woods).
When I'm in the car over 100 miles from home and my kids ask when we'll be home, I tell them and usually get it right within 5 minutes.
I've driven to places I've never been before and nailed the ETA.
Again, of all talents that people are blessed with, this is the most useless!

Quick Reply: Navigation - "This route uses private roads."

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands