New hybrid owner, looking to decode options

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:43 AM
JOAT, master of none
Default New hybrid owner, looking to decode options

Anyone know how I can decode options on my vehicle based on VIN number? I bought a used Camry from a Subaru dealer, obviously they would know nothing about its build sheet.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: New hybrid owner, looking to decode options

The only way I know to get what you want is from a dealer and even then, I have never heard of anyone trying to recreate a build sheet.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:15 AM
Veracitorian Muser

Some car makers do encode some of the build options into the VIN. BMW is one. Most of the 17 VIN letters/digits are standard encoding to show year, country of origin, etc. Not sure what info Toyota encodes, but I suspect the higher volume manufacturers might put less data in the VIN, as more digits are needed for unit ID.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:18 AM
JOAT, master of none

I'm thinking that my dealer could do this since he had a sort of window sticker looking printout for the two used cars that I looked at. My quandry is that I just bought my TCH from someone else, a Subaru dealer. I feel bad walking in his office asking him to print out a sheet for a car that I didn't buy from him. On the other hand, I did make a deal with him last week on a TCH and another salesman sold it out from under me the day before I was going back to finalize the deal. I've also had a 10 year relationship with this dealership and salesman, I had all of my factory related service done there, and have bought 3 Toyota's from him, that should buy me some favor.

Last edited by hotrod53; 09-29-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hotrod53
I'm thinking that my dealer could do this since he had a sort of window sticker looking printout for the two used cars that I looked at. My quandry is that I just bought my TCH from someone else, a Subaru dealer. I feel bad walking in his office asking him to print out a sheet for a car that I didn't buy from him. On the other hand, I did make a deal with him last week on a TCH and another salesman sold it out from under me the day before I was going back to finalize the deal. I've also had a 10 year relationship with this dealership and salesman, I had all of my factory related service done there, and have bought 3 Toyota's from him, that should buy me some favor.
Sorry to hear it. Yet another data point supporting my goal of NEVER setting foot in another dealership unless it's to buy parts I can't get elsewhere. Last dealer purchase was 2010 and last visit was 2012. It wasn't a positive experience. We walked out.