New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default New Tires

I just replaced my Bridgestones on my TCH with a set of H-Rated Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 215-60-16 at 21,000 miles. Sam's Club had a $60 instant rebate on a set of four. I believe that promotion ends at the end of the month. The Michelins got a good review in the Nov. '06 Consumer Reports and Tirerack customers had good things to say about the tire. They handle and ride much better and are quieter than the Bridgestones. I have not checked the gas mileage as of yet but I'm willing to sacrifice a mile or two per gallon for better ride and handling.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tires

Good choice to go with Michelin... I have the OEM Michelin in my TCH and love it, such a quiet and soft ride. When time comes to replace the Bridgestone on my other Toyota Sienna, I know for sure I will get the Michelin tires.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Jasaulsbury, was that an in-store rebate? I see them on-line for $123 but no mention about the $60 discount. The Dunlops are also shown in Consumer Reports as edging out the Michelins just slightly.

CR estimates the pricing to be around $50 less though per tire.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meerkat
Jasaulsbury, was that an in-store rebate? I see them on-line for $123 but no mention about the $60 discount. The Dunlops are also shown in Consumer Reports as edging out the Michelins just slightly.

CR estimates the pricing to be around $50 less though per tire.
CR used a different tire size than the one used on the TCH. Therefore the difference in price. Sam's in-store promotion is a $60($15 each) instant rebate on any set of four Michelin tires, in stock or special order. I special ordered the H-rated version, not the V-rated. The H's were better in rolling resistance, something you want for gas mileage. I paid $110.02 minus $15/tire plus Maryland tire fees and Maryland tax. In addition, Sam's charges $9/tire to install each tire. The $9 includes lifetime rotation and rebalancing plus road hazard protection. I believe the total price was less than $450 including tax, fees and the rebate. That figure was about $100 less than my local Michelin dealer who had no rebate to offer.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Check out Discount tire, I never had an issue getting a better deal with them than any other competitor...

Old 06-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My mom has an 07 XLE and got the Bridgestones. She wishes she had the Michelins. Her road noise it more than mine.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasaulsbury
I just replaced my Bridgestones on my TCH with a set of H-Rated Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 215-60-16 at 21,000 miles. Sam's Club had a $60 instant rebate on a set of four. I believe that promotion ends at the end of the month. The Michelins got a good review in the Nov. '06 Consumer Reports and Tirerack customers had good things to say about the tire. They handle and ride much better and are quieter than the Bridgestones. I have not checked the gas mileage as of yet but I'm willing to sacrifice a mile or two per gallon for better ride and handling.
I went to buy tires at a Discount Tire store in El Paso a few years ago. I asked one of the workers in the back if they ever installed a set that needed no weights. He said, why yes only last week I had a set of Michelin Pilot tires that needed no weights at all.

I have a new Camry Hybrid coming next week. I checked and looks like it may come with the Michelin Energy S8 tires. The S8 is a slight update of that tire. I would think the Pilot tire would be better but would cost more.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: New Tires

Originally Posted by jasaulsbury
Why do you feel that you will lose mileage with the Michelin? I get excellent FE with my OEM Michelin. I do have the pressure higher than Toyota recommends. After 12,000 miles, I have no discernable tire wear. The mechanic at Toyota says that the Michelin's will get at least 10,000 more miles than the Bridgestones. Too bad that Toyota doesn't use Michelin on all their cars.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I doubt the new tires will not give you the best gas mileage till there broke in. I find it takes about 300 to 500 miles for the gas mileage to pick up. I still run 35 psi when cool to prevent any excess tire wear. I got 75,000 miles out of some early 90's michelins. I bought another exact set and they went 70,000 miles. These tires were discontinued as the Pilot tires replaced them. That was my '94 Corolla that went 185,000 miles. That engine would still start before you could release the key. I never seen anything like that before.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-14-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Dazed and Confused

How many miles are people seeing out of their Bridgestone tires.

I have 30,000 on mine, and estimate they are 60 - 70 % gone.

I figured these tires should have lasted 60,000 to 70,000 miles, but there is no way that is going to happen.

Quick Reply: New Tires

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands