Optima Battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Optima Battery problem

I have a 2008 TCH and I replaced my 12v panasonic battery last summer with the Yellow top optima d35. The panasonic was working fine holding 11.7 volts, but I figured it was 7 years old so better to replace than have it fail. I bought it online and it worked great until yesterday. I live in boston and we had some extreme cold weather (-5 degrees). My car is garage kept, it was in the teens when I went to start the car, but it would not start. The battery was only at 8.4 volts. I put my charger on the battery and when the battery was at 12v, the car started but the voltage immediately kept dropping, almost at 0.01 volts/second. I let the car idle for a few minutes, but when I turned it off, it would not start as the battery was back down to 8.4 volts. I charged it again and the car started, but the battery would not hold the charge. I happened to have my old panasonic battery, it was stored in the same garage as my car and it was still at 11.7 volts so I installed it back in my car and the car started right up. I put the yellow top in my basement, and the next day it was holding 12 volts after I charged it. Was the battery problem just due to the extreme cold temperatures?

Old 02-17-2016, 07:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Optima Battery problem

It's dead.

Holding 12.0V after charging it? that's pretty much dead. A healthy 12V will be > 12.6V @ 100% SoC 24 hours after charging. 12.0V is about 15% charged.

Voltage alone is relatively unreliable as even very weak batteries can have great voltage. You need to take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested. Make sure it shows fully charged on a suitable 12V automotive charger before you take it for test.

IMHO, Optima is all about hype. ALL lead acid batteries can go bad at any time.

Steve

Old 02-17-2016, 07:24 PM

Sounds like you have parasitic draw somewhere. Or, bad battery. Happens.
Btw, 11.7 is benchmark voltage to consider battery replacement for TCH.
Safely presuming Panasonic holds 12V fine? Mine was made in 2006 and it still is used as back up batt for gate opener.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Just get the battery load tested at a garage or auto parts store. From what you describe, the battery is bad and should be replaced under warranty.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:45 PM

I still run on my original battery, bought the car in June 2006, so it will be 10 years running in 4 months. I follow "don't fix it if it ain't broke" rule. Car needs 12v and about 10 amps to start and I can get that from my laptop battery, so I don't worry about it at all. Just a week ago we had 0 F, no problem. I think I have another year or 2, my old Honda battery lasted about 11 years, this one should last at least as much since no high cranking power required at start.