PARTIAL FAIL: Installing 2010 OEM Camry 6-disc changer in 2007 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default PARTIAL FAIL: Installing 2010 OEM Camry 6-disc changer in 2007 Camry

Well...

If you just want to use the stereo system and the steering wheel controls, they go to gether like "peanut butter & Jelly".

Every CABLE connected just fine, except ONE... there is a cable, the 2nd from the left if you are looking at the rear of the unit (2010 JBL\Fujitsu-ten). I am wondering if this is a cable that splits to provide power and noise cancellation to both the Factory Microphone within the Ceiling console that controls the lights and sunroofs on some cars, and the auxilliary input, or if it controls the entire BT. All ofthe steering wheel controls work just fine. the display is slightly different. But I had a "Crash and Burn" kind of moment when trying to get the BT to sync... Remember, 2010 models have upgraded BT (2.0 or 2.1) that has the AD2P audio profiles to allow you to stream your audio from you Bluetooth enabled cell phone to your stereo system. In order to sync the phone, you need to give it a name, via the MIC... well since the MIC's are incompatible or rather it just doesn't work, I couldn't get past that first part.

I drive 2 hours EVERY day, so I desperately wanted an upgrade, because I talk a lot on the phone, and I have Slackr and Pandora on my blackberry and thus wanted to listen to the tunes without having to hastle with a cable.

For now, I have placed my old stereo system back in the deck... (it was very easy to take out) and am trying to acquire an OEM factory Handsfree MIC. I can't seem to find anyone online, and most of the parts distributers only have 2009 Camry parts... which is vastly different (2009 Camry uses the same stereo system as our 2007's).

If anyone has any suggestions, I am certainly open to them.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: PARTIAL FAIL: Installing 2010 OEM Camry 6-disc changer in 2007 Camry

Wow- I was actually thinking about doing this.

Where did you get the 2010 Head unit? How much?

I also want to add in A2DP audio- I may just installing an aftermarket adapter if it's so much hassle.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: PARTIAL FAIL: Installing 2010 OEM Camry 6-disc changer in 2007 Camry

Got the head unit off of ebay. It is WAYYYY different on the display... more of an LED display and not an LCD... when the car powers on, Camry shows up on the display... I might dig around to see if there is a difference between the Camry Hybrid and the Camry...

What after market adapters are there, out there?
THe OEM BT adapters out there from Toyota, will not work with my current head unit, because my current head unit has BT already...

I paid $116.00 to have it shipped. I might sell it to you if you want it....lol.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phenderson
I have Slackr and Pandora on my blackberry and thus wanted to listen to the tunes without having to hastle with a cable.
THIS!!! 10,000 times!

I've got TWO 9630's, one for work, one for not-work. One is VZW the other Sprint. One with Slacker, the other Pandora.

BOTH of them sound horrible through the 3.5mm AUX. The hiss and distortion is too much. And as many of us "Tour operators" know the jack is weak too. The A2DP solution over BT 2.1 sounds great. As much as I hope your 2010-2007 graft goes well, I also hope someone comes up with an inexpensive, aftermarket way to bring that feature to the masses. Good Luck!

Old 11-27-2009, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McGyver
THIS!!! 10,000 times!

I've got TWO 9630's, one for work, one for not-work. One is VZW the other Sprint. One with Slacker, the other Pandora.

BOTH of them sound horrible through the 3.5mm AUX. The hiss and distortion is too much. And as many of us "Tour operators" know the jack is weak too. The A2DP solution over BT 2.1 sounds great. As much as I hope your 2010-2007 graft goes well, I also hope someone comes up with an inexpensive, aftermarket way to bring that feature to the masses. Good Luck!
I think, in your case, you need to pull the car charger out. I found that that was the issue with the hiss from my HTC Touch Pro2 (Sprint), my HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) my HTC Mogul (Sprint), and Startac 6700(Sprint) and my Blackberry Curve 8320. As long as I had them plugged into the auxilliary port and the power charger (ac adapter) plugged into one of the cigarrette lighters, I would get some serious feedback. This was the case, even, for my XM Satellite receiver...

On a whim, I went through ebay and began checking listings for perhaps the umpteenth time... and then I contacted a guy... who was selling Toyota 2007 Camry Hybrid parts... radios and what not. He told me that microphones between the 2 car systems were compatible, and that I needed to buy some connectors for him and do some creative "re-wiring". So I am going to go that route.

In the meantime, I will also start looking around for a 2010 lower Console (the one with the USB Port and the Auxilliary Port), and 2010 ceiling console (possibly with a better microphone)...

Old 11-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phenderson
Got the head unit off of ebay. It is WAYYYY different on the display... more of an LED display and not an LCD... when the car powers on, Camry shows up on the display... I might dig around to see if there is a difference between the Camry Hybrid and the Camry...

What after market adapters are there, out there?
THe OEM BT adapters out there from Toyota, will not work with my current head unit, because my current head unit has BT already...

I paid $116.00 to have it shipped. I might sell it to you if you want it....lol.
You paid $116 total? or for shipping only?

I was told that iSimple was coming out with an A2DP gateway shortly- but have yet to see it...

Btw- on my iPhone, it would hiss unless I would turn up my volume all the way- not sure if that's your problem.