Plasmacluster Ionizer climate control

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast
Question Plasmacluster Ionizer climate control

Does anyone know if you can choose to turn off the ionizer in the Camry Hybrid since it already has a 3 stage hepa filtration system?...I am thinking about buying a camry hybrid but was concerned about this option since ionizers produce ozone...Thanks in advance.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:34 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Plasmacluster Ionizer climate control

I don't think it can be shut down. Here is info from Sharp (mfg of PlasmaCluster) on why this system is better than other ion filtration systems... My assumption (hope) is that Toyota looked into this system before decided to deploy it and deemed it to be effective and safe

First, let me distinguish the difference between "Ionizers", and Plasmacluster Ion Technology. "Ionizers" produce ONLY NEGATIVE IONS, while Plasmacluster Ion Technology is the only technology in the world to use BOTH POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE IONS. With negative ions only, you do not inactivate any contaminants, but simply add weight to the particles so that they drop to the ground. The danger is that they are still ACTIVE and can still HARM you. However, with Plasmacluster Ion's POSITIVE and NEGATIVE ions, the contaminant is INACTIVATED, rendered harmless and therefore CANNOT HARM you. Consumer reports conquered that these "Ionizers" do not work, and moreover produce large amounts of Ozone. For the record, Plasmacluster Ion Air Purifiers generate less than 0.001 ppm of ozone. That is more than 50 times less than the legal limit. The bottom line, Plasmacluster Ion Air Purfiers work much better at cleaning the air than the competition, and do not produce dangerous amounts of ozone in the process. The reality is that there are a wide range of electrical appliances that give off ozone. Health Canada has established two basic guidelines in regards to ozone. #1 - You cannot use ozone as a means of air purification. #2 - Incidental production of ozone cannot exceed 0.05 ppm (parts per million). Again, our Plasmacluster Ion air purifiers generate less than 0.001 ppm, which is more than 50 times less than the legal limit.

Here's a link to a Sharp web site that describes the technology involved, including videos and such for what it's worth... http://www.sharp.ca/products/ion/plasma_2.asp

Last edited by Droid13; 07-15-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

That's what I am hoping too but I was wondering if there was an option in the climate control to turn off the ionizer..

Old 07-15-2006, 08:45 PM
HSD Organic Interface

According to the manual, the plasmacluster only works from the driver's side dash vent. So I suppose if you close this vent and just use the center console vents you can stop it from working. But other than that, there is no specific on/off for plasmacluster.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Here's an interesting link http://medicair.co.il/downloads/research8.pdf
showing how the technology defeats virusus, fungii, bacteria, and other icky things. Not that I'd feel safe driving my TCH in a quarantined area or think that my car is the answer for Avian flu...

Last edited by Freeze; 07-15-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:50 PM
HSD Organic Interface

So if a bird flu pandemic occurs, move your family into your TCH.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

"ionizers produce ozone..."

Really?

Hmm...and we're honestly worrying about this?

Well, I did buy a hybrid, but...looooong way to go before I'm not going to get a chuckle out of that.

I'd be interesting in the science behind it though.

Old 07-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reactor
That's what I am hoping too but I was wondering if there was an option in the climate control to turn off the ionizer..
Hi everyone,

I have been following this forum for a while and I like visiting it almost as much as I enojy driving our TCH. Lots of good/useful stuff here.

Per your Plasmacluster "turn on / off question": there is no "on/off" switch on the console. However, I find that when I completly close the driver's side vent (by turning the vent's dial), the faint buzzing noise from there stops. For those of you who have the TCH - have you found it to be the case as well? And if so, would you deduct from that that when the driver's side vent is completely closed, the Plasmacluster system is off and not in operation?
Btw, the manual states that, " Operating the air conditioning system allows positive and negative ions to come from the driver's side vent. A low noise can be heard during operation. This is not a malfunction"

Old 07-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Peter....This is great information..Is there any chance we can get confirmation from a toyota technician?...I am still going to purchase this car since I am totally in love with it but would like to know if this can be turned off...I am also wondering if it can be deactivated in the computer module....

Old 07-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Droid13,

I actually asked Toyota if one can turn off the Plasmacluster system. I enclose their response below. Were they correct? As I said, no buzzing noise can be heard from the driver's side vent when that vent is closed. Does it mean that the system is off? Or that while it's in operation, it simply cannot be heard? But, if that were the case, were would those ions be discharged when that vent is close?
Response (Eli) - 05/20/2006 01:59 PM
<as-html>
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.<p>

We apologize; we do not recommend or assist with modifying our vehicles from
their original factory specifications.<p>

The Plasmacluster technology on your the climate control system on the 2007
Camry Hybrid is active when the system is active and cannot be
disabled.<p>

Modifications could affect the vehicle’s performance, safety or durability, and
may violate government regulations. In addition, damage or performance problems
resulting from the modification may not be covered under warranty.<p>

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file
#200505120577. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to <a
href = ' http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4164'TARGET=_BLANK
>contact us</a>.<p>

Toyota Customer Experience
</as-html>

Quick Reply: Plasmacluster Ionizer climate control

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands