Pros and cons of various iPod interfaces (and possibly other MP3 players)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Pros and cons of various iPod interfaces (and possibly other MP3 players)

I have been reading the hundreds of posts about the, at least three different, iPod interfaces for the TCH; however, one thing still gets me: what are the real differences, that is, what are the pros and cons between these various solutions?

It seems to be some use the SAT/XM interface, others use a CD changer interface. Some let you semi-browse, others do not. They all seem to be able to turn the iPod on and off and charge the iPod.
  • Could someone who has experienced enough of these interfaces offer a pros and cons easy compare list?
  • Which one allows you to basically control the iPod from the nav screen without losing any function of the iPod software (e.g. displaying individual files, browsing, random [shuffle])?
  • Do they all have a physical limit to the number of files?
  • Do they all require play lists to operate?
  • Are there interfaces of this nature for any other MP3 (music) players? Or are we stuck with getting an iPod?

Feel free to post or PM a complete and detailed or partial pros and cons list and possible answers the other above questions with respect to this topic.

Peripheral iPod2car iPod Adapter

Price: $149.00

Pros: ????
Cons: ????

Overview: The PXDP2 iPod2car adapter allows an iPod with a dock connector to be connected to and the basic functions controlled by the factory radio in select vehicles when a vehicle specific cable is added. Please check the Crutchfield "Outfit My Car" to confirm compatibility with your vehicle.

iPod Compatibility: This adapter is compatible with virtually any iPod with the Dock Connector. This includes iPod G3 (3rd generation), iPod G4 (4th generation), iPod mini, iPod Photo, iPod Nano (2nd generation), iPod Video and iPhone.

Note: This adapter is currently not compatible with the iPod Classic or iPod Nano (3rd generation).

Controls: The iPod is controlled using the buttons on the factory radio (or steering wheel if equipped). Control features include:
  • Full control of iPod using factory radio and steering wheel controls
  • Text on factory radio displays iPods browsing menus, song, artist, and elapsed time
  • Browse by artist, playlist, genre, and album
  • Controls include track forward, track back, fast forward, rewind, shuffle and repeat
  • Audio feed directly into the factory radio to retain sound quality

Battery Charge: The PXDP2 charges iPod battery when connected.

Radio Port: The adapter typically uses the factory head unit's Satellite radio port, so if the vehicle has an existing satellite tuner it must be disconnected.

(source: Crutchfield)

USA Spec iPod Interface

Price: $159.00

Note: There are other models including a seemingly newer PA20-TOY. Need additional information.

Overview: This interface connects your iPod to select Toyota and Lexus audio systems. Its on-board software translates commands from your Toyota radio's CD-changer controls into commands the iPod understands. This interface enables the iPod to take the place of a Toyota CD-changer, and provides the following benefits:
  • Directs the iPod's audio output to your Toyota's vehicle audio system for optimal sound quality playback.
  • Controls the iPod via vehicle's radio and steering wheel controls (when applicable).
  • Charges the iPod's internal battery, and charging stops automatically at one hour after the iPod is paused. The iPod goes into sleep mode when charging stops.

Specific Features: The PA15-TOY displays song title and artist information on all radios with a "Text" button. It works with all 1998 to 2008 radios, including the in-dash 6-disc CD changer, and the 2007-08 Tundra and Avalon. The PA15-TOY allows connection through the XM or CDC port.

iPod Compatibility: The interface is compatible with the following 3rd Generation and later iPod models (except iPod shuffle):
  • iPod classic*
  • iPod touch*
  • iPod nano (1st, 2nd and 3rd generations)*
  • iPod 5th Generation (including iPod video)*
  • iPod 4th Generation (including iPod Photo)
  • iPod 3rd Generation (with dock connector)
  • iPod mini (1st and 2nd generations)
  • iPhone*

*Note: Due to software issues, iPod classic, iPod touch, and iPhone will work fine in the Direct mode, but will not work in the Hybrid mode. Newer iPods (5th Gen, Classic, 3rd Gen nano) with certain software upgrades may only play in the Playlist mode. The older 3rd generation iPods may not work in all playback modes.

Operation Modes: The iPod interface adapter features the following modes of operation.
  • Playlist Mode: You can create up to 6 favorite mobile playlist then use your radio's CD changer controls to access and control your playlist.
  • Direct Mode: Gives you complete control of your iPod while it is connected to the factory radio. Your iPod is not locked out while connected to the radio and you are able to manually access your complete iPod content. The Radio still can adjust song up/down random or shuffle play but you can manually control your iPod and select any playlist, genre or Artist of your choice. (Disk 8 is dedicated to Direct Mode use.)
  • Hybrid Mode: Combines features of Direct Mode and Playlist Mode. You can create and access your favorite mobile playlist or directly access all your iPod content manually on your iPod. Your iPod displays song title information and iPod is not locked, so the iPod can be operated manually at all times. (Some iPods may not work in the Hybrid mode.)

Note: Between Direct and Hybrid modes only one of them will be activated automatically by PA15-TOY depends upon the model or type of iPod.

iPod Text: Pressing the TEXT button on your factory Toyota radio while your iPod plays in the Playlist mode, allows the artist name and song title to be displayed on your factory radio. The Artist name is displayed at the first time press of the TEXT button and song title is displayed at the second time press of the TEXT button. The Playlist disc number and track number will be displayed at the third time press of the TEXT button.

Note: Track search by artist, song title or album are not supported. Some of the older design Toyota radios do not have the TEXT button feature.

iPod Playback: All audio tracks on the iPod will be played with text display at Disc 7 in Direct Mode, or Disc 8 without text display. The track order is determined by the default order on the iPod. Selecting discs 1 through 6 on the factory radio will allow playback of 6 playlists on the iPod. You can select a playlist by pressing the Disc Up or Disc Down buttons. Playlists which are created for direct access must be designated with the word "TOYOTA" and the disc number. If no "TOYOTA" playlists are designated, the first six playlists on the iPod are accessible from the Disc 1 through Disc 6 buttons.

Auxiliary Input: In addition to the iPod input on the PA15-TOY there is an auxiliary input (stereo RCA) for use with another source, such as a DVD system, satellite radio, or game system. The aux input is selected at CD 9 Track 1 using the factory radio controls. This aux input can be used with or without the iPod connected. To use the auxiliary input on the interface, dip switch #1 must be set to the "On" position.

Controls: The factory radio's controls give you access to the following iPod functions:
  • Scan: plays first 10 seconds of each track in the current playlist (if scan is pressed at Disc 7, it will play all songs in the iPod for 10 seconds each)
  • Random (Shuffle): songs in the current playlist are played back in random order (some radios have a "P scan" button for this function)
  • Track Up/Down: the "Next" button advances to the next track in the playlist; the "Prev" button allows you to jump to the beginning of the currently playing song
  • Fast Track Search: the "Fwd" or "Rev" button will advance or retreat through the tracks in increments of 10 (i.e. 04, 14, 24...).

Note: Repeat play is not supported by this interface. Switching to another source, such as AM/FM, CD, or Cassette, puts the iPod into pause mode.

Scosche iPod Control Adapter

Price: $189.00

Overview: The Scosche AXIPTA iPod Interface module is designed to provide plug and play installation and operation of an Apple iPod directly from the factory radio controls of select Lexus, Toyota, and Scion vehicles. Please check Crutchfield.com's "Outfit My Car" to confirm compatibility with your vehicle.

Compatibility: The Scosche AXIPTA adapter is compatible with any Apple iPod having a dock connector.

Installation: The Scosche AXIPTA interface features the following connections for installation:
  • iPod: There is an 8-pin port designed for use with the included 17' iPod interface cable, which then plugs into the dock connector of your compatible iPod.
  • Head Unit: There is a 24-pin port for use with one of the included 18" Y-harnesses, which then plugs into the factory wiring (the harness with the yellow band and in-line fuse holder is used with systems having OEM XM Satellite radio).
  • Aux: Stereo RCA jacks are included for adding an extra source (DVD system, HD Radio, etc).

Control Mode: There are two modes for controlling iPod playback:
  • Advanced Mode: The iPod is controlled using buttons on the factory radio (including steering wheel controls if applicable).
  • Manual Mode: Only the controls on the iPod work.

Display: The song title, artist name, playlist name, etc. appear on the radio display. How much information shows simultaneously depends on the radio model.

Charging: Your iPod will charge as long as it's connected to the AXIPTA adapter and the vehicle's ignition is on.

Vais SL2i and SL2vi (video)

Price: $????

Need to locate additional information.

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 05-06-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: (05/06/08) Added Vais SL2i and SL2vi place holder.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: Pros and cons of various iPod interfaces (and possibly other MP3 players)

You forgot the Vais or did you not want to know about it? They now have the sl2i and sl2vi which does video.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Default Re: Pros and cons of various iPod interfaces (and possibly other MP3 players)

Thanks Dan. I remembered them just couldn't find them on Crutchfield so I need some more time to pull together the information. I'll look around tomorrow if someone doesn't post it first.

Since I know you have one of those, could you come up with a list of perceived pros and cons that I can add to the first post?

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 05-06-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Driving in stealth mode

http://integrationsolutions.net/VAIS...OYOTA-COM.HTML

I would like to resolve a slight issue I am having before I make any statements. I have found this device at locations other than the above EBay business but they were the cheapest.

Price: US $224.99 (SL2i)

1.) FULLY COMPATIBLE with or without factory premium sound (Mark Levinson, JBL etc.), this feature will remain unchanged and work just as it does now

2.) FULLY COMPATIBLE with or without factory XM or Sirius satellite radio, this feature will remain unchanged and work just as it does now.

3.) FULLY COMPATIBLE with or without standard stereo, this feature will remain unchanged and work just as it does now

4.) FULLY COMPATIBLE with or without In-Dash AM/FM/6-Disc Changer, this feature will remain unchanged and work just as it does now.

5.) FULLY COMPATIBLE with or without factory Navigation System, this feature will remain unchanged and work just as it does now. You will also be able to use your factory navigation touch screen controls to control your iPOD integrated unit.

6.) FULLY COMPATIBLE with or without Factory DVD system (RSE), this feature will remain unchanged and work just as it does now.

7.) FULLY COMPATIBLE with or without factory external CD Changer (CD/DVD), this feature will remain unchanged and work just as it does now.

Features of this iPOD direct interface:

ALLOWS FOR ACCESS OF UP TO 99 PLAYLISTS WITH UP TO 99** SONGS ON EACH PLAYLIST - **IF YOU HAVE 2007-2008 W/ FACTORY NAVIGATION THAT SUPPORTS MP3 PLAYBACK IT WILL SUPPORT UP TO 999 SONGS PER PLAYLIST
FULLY INTEGRATES FACTORY NAV SYSTEM (IF EQUIPPED), WORKS WITH TOUCH SCREEN CONTROLS TOO
ALLOWS FACTORY RADIO TO DISPLAY ARTIST & SONG TITLE INFO ON THE FACTORY RADIO OR NAVIGATION SCREEN (IF TIED INTO THE RADIO)
CONNECTS iPOD
MAINTAINS FACTORY RADIO FUNCTIONS
WILL CHARGE iPOD WHILE CONNECTED IN THE VEHICLE
ALLOWS FOR CONTROL FROM THE iPOD OR RADIO BUTTONS
COMES WITH iPOD ADAPTER INCLUDED, iPOD EXTENSION IS 6.5 FEET LONG

Cons: Requires Playlists to Manage Songs.
Can not view a list of playlists or songs at this point. ** I believe they are working on firmware to rectify this. Only way to upgrade the firmware is to purchase an interface device to hook up the unit to your computer. I believe the price is $52?

****UPDATE From The VAIS Website FORUMS****

So we are only about 2-3 weeks out on the new upgrade for 5th gen systems only (mp3) mode.
Here's what you'll get...

Playlist browsing
Artist browsing
Album browsing
Genre browsing
Audiobook browsing
Podcast browsing

again this is a feature that only people with 5th gen systems can take advantage of. Thanks for your patience and support.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to call or post..

Support Team
VAIS Technology

As long as my issues get resolved, which I am expecting they will as their technical support is very helpful, I will definately be getting the update device so I can do the firmware update. These are the other items I was hoping for.

Last edited by coolshock1; 05-06-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Come on people. I know Mikie and I can't be the only one with interest in this. There have to be some people with personal experience with one of these devices.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

I keep sitting by idly trying to figure out which one is the best as well. I keep going back and forth between the VAIS and the USASpec. I don't really like the 99 or 999 songs per playlist feature on some of them. I guess I am looking for the perfect answer, but each one seems to have a minor flaw. And when I finally (patiently waiting...) get an iPhone in Canada, I don't want to have to do this all over again.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:22 PM

My son recently bought a 08 Scion TC with NAV. It has a marvelous iPod interface built right in. It even shows a graphic of the iPod "wheel" on the touch screen! Apparently, it allows full use of all functions of the iPod from the screen, allowing the iPod to be stashed away permanently! (Of course, I haven't used it for verification) I wish something like this was available for our TCHs. It seems the radio/nav he has is not JBL, which I think we have in our TCHs.

I currently use a Belkin iPod adaptor that plugs into the power outlet in the cubby. It has a a volume control so I can set the normal level of the iPod to be the same as the CD or radio. It powers/charges the iPod, and stops when I turn off the car. It requires a push of the play button on the iPod to start up again when I get back in the car. I fashioned a very simple mount with Velcro on it to attach the iPod on the cubby door. It works for me, but, with all the other hi-tech in this car, I would really like a more integrated device. However, I don't want to loose all of the functionality of the shuffle etc. on the iPod. I don't use play lists. I have over 5,000 songs, and just use shuffle most of the time, but it is nice to be able to find a particular song, or artist or album when I desire. In the meantime, I am also anxious to hear feedback from those who have bought the integrated interfaces that make use of the Nav screen.

I don't think I have listened to the radio or a CD since I got the iPod.

Last edited by jbollt; 05-08-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Driving in stealth mode

I am currently having an issue with the Vais. First they sent out a new IPod cable. Now they are sending out a new main unit, which should be here tomorrow. My unit was dropping connection with my IPod. I even tried it with my Nano and it did the same thing which is why they did a RMA for the main unit itself. I have been assured by both the support people and the dealer that sold it to me that this is a freak thing. I am anticipating that the swap will fix the issue. Overall the device was simple to install and when it didn't lose connection it worked EXACTLY as they stated it would. I am also waiting on the firmware update which should allow you:

Playlist browsing
Artist browsing
Album browsing
Genre browsing
Audiobook browsing
Podcast browsing

These abilities will make the device even more user friendly and in my opinion much more functional. Originally I mounted the unit down below the storage area where most people store the XM box. I have since moved it into the storage area and keep the IPod in there too. With this device you won't ever have to pull the IPod out except to update it. I will leave feedback on the device after I swap out the old unit with the RMA unit, which will take all of 30 seconds. Then just re-initialize it which takes all of another minute. In case I didn't state it before this device has the abilty to over ride the "I Agree" screen that comes up when you access the MAP screen. You just sit there for 5 seconds and it beeps and disappears.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Just to update my issue. I received the new main device from VAIS and everything is now working exactly as it should. Now if they come out with the firmware update I will be a very happy camper. I would recommend this product to anyone looking for the capability of hooking up their IPod and controlling it through the stereo and the steering controls.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

USA SPEC PA20 Con: Not all features are supported with the latest Apple Firmware/iPods. Seems to work best in "direct" mode when used with newer iPods which does not display song titles on the Nav screen.

Sound quality is very good.

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of various iPod interfaces (and possibly other MP3 players)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands