provincial tax rebate in ontario, canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Electricity Guzzler
Default provincial tax rebate in ontario, canada

I finally got my provincial sales tax rebate today. In my province a max of $2000. the pst was about $2200 on my hycam. it's given to encourage people to purchase alternative fuel vehicles. Not all provinces offer it. In Prince Edward Island it's a max of 3 grand.

It took 72 days (just over 10 weeks) arrive. Funny thing was 4 days earlier I got a letter in the mail for the gov't saying I was approved and a cheque would be arriving soon.

What a waste of a stamp! Funny getting a letter from the gov't stating the cheque is in the mail, eh? it's hard not to appreciate that irony.

In my province they won't allow hybrids (nor motorcycles) to take advantage of the HOV (car pool lanes) the buggers. I sent in a number of letter and sent in a petition with a couple of hundred of signatures. (I tried).

Old 08-15-2006, 04:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: provincial tax rebate in ontario, canada

I too live in Ottawa, Ontario. Actually in Nepean. My TCH is on the boat. I have been waiting to find an updated TRD 702 from that specifies we get $2,000 back but still the form says $1,000. Where did you get your TCH and how is it equipped? Did you get the extended warranty and did you get a discount on the warranty? I thought about getting a warranty from a dealer in the US but Toyota makes noises like it's not valid and won't be honoured here if purchased from the US.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Electricity Guzzler

don't worry about an updated form,

send in the old one, you'll have no problems.

I can give you the refund manager's name in TO for the program if you want to talk to her for reassurance, but you don't need to.

I didn't buy an extended warranty. that's what I bought a toyota for. my hycam is the base

I got the side door strip protectors and full mud guards that's it. I had the vip alarm, but I got them to take it off. it's just a noise maker. I used orleans toyota. they were def. the best. I went to all the Ottawa dealers. I was able to squeeze $1000 off the msrp.
hope to see you on the roads. haven't seen another hycam on the road in Ontario yet.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:15 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Good to hear that you received it. I've been waiting for 7 1/2 weeks so far myself so looks like it'll be the 1st week of September for me.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:12 AM
HSD Organic Interface

I spoke too soon. The day I made the last posting I received my letter, and then 2 days later I got my cheque. Of course I did the prerequisite "I've got my money" dance. Total wait time was 8 weeks.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

I'm ready to fill out the form. I assume I just fill out the A section since I am not converting the car and I am not leasing it. I presume I just send that in with the other documentation they require. Please give me the name and phone number of the refund manager in TO since I am aware of what happens if you send in wrong information or incorrect forms to the province. The car is being delivered on Thursday or Friday! What a wait!

Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast

Wish there was a federal tax rebate for purchasing a hybrid. I guess I can't complain too much here.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Electricity Guzzler

I will give you the refund manager's info. when i return to work (sept. 5) that stuff is in my desk, i'm on vacation now.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast

On the 702 form they also request "A signed statement from the licensed mechanic who issued the safety Standard Certificate, on company letterhead, stating the type of power used to operate the vehicle when the inspection was done."

Am I suppose to get this from the dealer? I'm picking up my car today so I just wanted to know this before I go.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:49 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by Ladybug
On the 702 form they also request "A signed statement from the licensed mechanic who issued the safety Standard Certificate, on company letterhead, stating the type of power used to operate the vehicle when the inspection was done."

Am I suppose to get this from the dealer? I'm picking up my car today so I just wanted to know this before I go.
That only applies to used vehicles.

So unless you are buying a used TCH, all you need is a copy of your vehicle registration, the original bill of sale (put a note asking for it back if you want it returned), and the filled out 702 form. Just mail all 3 documents, that's it.

The 702 form is really simple

1) name and address in section A
2) for Section B (for buying car, not leasing):
* put Hybrid Electric for Fuel Type
* enter date of purchase
* enter PST paid on vehicle (do not include any tax paid on extended warranty)
* Leave the fields for "Conversion" blank.
* Enter up to $2000 for amount claimed (if you traded a car in, that would have reduced the amount of PST paid, so if you paid less than $2000 PST, you claim that amount instead).
3) Leave section C blank (unless you are leasing, but then you would want to make your claim at end of lease, not beginning)
4) Sign form in section D.

That's all there is to it.

PS I asked the dealer to make sure the model said "Camry Hybrid" on the bill of sale. They were just going to put down "Camry". Not sure if this actually makes a difference but I wanted to by sure. I assume the VIN is what they would really use to verify the car is a hybrid.

Last edited by Droid13; 08-22-2006 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: provincial tax rebate in ontario, canada

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands