Ran into snow bank, refrigerant leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Ran into snow bank, refrigerant leaking!

Hi, Ran into some snow at a curb while taking a turn (New England Weather). The front bumper bottom part cracked and broke. After parking I heard a hissing noise and some refrigerant seems to be leaking. The noise seems to come at a junction near the radiator connected by 2 metal tubes. Any idea what the leak is and how to repair that potion only? Any input as to what exactly is the diagnosis and repair?
I have uploaded pictures, the leak is where the bent tube connects.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5917.jpg (96.6 KB, 24 views)
IMG_5918.jpg (59.4 KB, 19 views)
IMG_5919.jpg (70.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ran into snow bank, refrigerant leaking!

You have to replace line. You can buy it, likely - dealer or junk yard.
You will have to evacuate and re-charge AC thereafter. Line replacement is easy. It's freon evacuation that is NOT. as you have to evacuate it before line removal. Of course, if there's anything left. Connection is simple single bolt and fitment with 2 O-rings tube.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:54 PM

Oh, yes, it's AC line going to AC radiator.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Professor Emeritus

Be sure that who ever does the work knows exactly what happened. They need to pull vacuum for a while to be sure that the condenser was not damaged. Also, when those hard lines shift, leaks can occur in other places as well. Depending on the damage, you may wind up replacing the receiver as well.

If it were mine, I would do a flush and a new receiver as insurance that no crud got into the system.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast

It was a slide and into the bank. Not very fast. The bottom part of the bumper was cracked. I checked inside the only leak coming was from this joint.

Q1) By receiver you mean the condenser or where the line is running into?
Q2) is the car safe to drive? Will driving the car out to the mechanic cause any problems?
Q3) I have a personal mechanic handy, is it something he could do without extra tools? To evacuate the refrigerant, what extra tools or loaners (if available) will be needed?
Thanks for your input guys.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by coolrizTCH11
It was a slide and into the bank. Not very fast. The bottom part of the bumper was cracked. I checked inside the only leak coming was from this joint.

Q1) By receiver you mean the condenser or where the line is running into?
Q2) is the car safe to drive? Will driving the car out to the mechanic cause any problems?
Q3) I have a personal mechanic handy, is it something he could do without extra tools? To evacuate the refrigerant, what extra tools or loaners (if available) will be needed?
Thanks for your input guys.
1. No, the receiver/drier acts as a filter and keeps moisture and crud from reaching critical components.

2. Yes, if a puncture is visible, it would not hurt to "wrap it" for the drive. Especially if it is nasty out.

3. Maybe. I would take it somewhere to have the system flushed and leak checked. Depending on where the damage is located, you could just replace the component yourself, hope for the best and have it leak checked and recharged.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:47 AM

AC radiator is called condenser, just like LS mentioned before.
There is no hurt to drive, only make sure AC is not turned on and freon is not pumped into the broken line.
Only damage will be to environment. Your mechanic should be able to replace line, but refill is AC shop job. That is not bad, around $150 or so, unless they really made it complicated for this particular vehicle, considering electrical compressor. Then dealer it is.
Bumper cover will cost you another $500 or so. Cover is not that expensive, say from Certifit. It's paint job that will get you.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:48 AM

Hey, but look at it this way. It's only minor damage and no one was hurt. Amen, thank you Lord.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah thanks for the input and yes thank god no one was hurt.
UPDATE: So it appears that the hissing noise is gone, so is it same to assume that all the pressurized gas has gone? The o ring connector appeared to be loose, we tightened it.
I am thinking about getting the leak stop from autozone, is it ok to try that? its supposed to be a stop all A/C leak from autozone. The metal doesnt appear to be cracked or damaged, only the joint. I am not running A/C cold. Is it ok to run the heater?
Yeah I have looked at a few bumper cover options, looking for a oem black one.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast

I have got the leak finder & sealant with me, and a refrigerant refill on the way. I am gooing to spray the leak finder to see if I could spot any more leaks. If not my buddy is going to refill the AC freon. Is it ok to fill up using normal procedure or any other special way to fill up since its the hybrid system? Hope you guys can update me before tonight coz I am planning to do it tomorrow.
Anyone who used it or any experience or knowledge on those stuff will be great. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by coolrizTCH11; 12-18-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: Ran into snow bank, refrigerant leaking!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands