Razzi Ground Effects Kit Installation

Old 04-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Razzi Ground Effects Kit Installation

I was so glad to find that this kit was available and that you can get it painted to match your Camry!!! I ordered my kit from Factory Wings: http://www.factorywings.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=24

I just gave them the color code off of the label in my driver side door jam. The kit arrived two weeks later - Factory Wings did a great paint job: it was a perfect match. It came in a large box that was light as a feather!!

I have to admit, I really love the way it came out – I think I have worn a trough around the car just circling it and admiring the look. I don’t want a fast car and never considered the SE version. I like saving gas – but that doesn’t mean we can’t jazz it up a bit!!!

I’ve scanned the instructions and attached it as a pdf. I’ll offer my comments where I think the instructions were too cautious and places where I think they left something out. Overall, it is an amazingly simple process, considering what a quantum leap in appearance the installation makes.

First, my biggest tip is – if you can get the car up on 4 jack stands and remove all four wheels at once, you could breeze through the installation in a couple of hours!!! The four Razzi pieces are held on with a combination of slow set adhesive (24 hours!!!) and screws driven into the wheel wells. You need the wheels off to have access. Also, I followed their tip of masking and spraying the wheel well tabs with rubber undercoat spray so you need the wheels off for that as well. If you can’t get all 4 wheels off at once, you are going to burn a lot of hours (and calories) loosening and tightening lug nuts, taking wheels off and putting wheels back on, chocking, lifting, lowering – you get it!!!

I used both Paint Prep from Griot’s Garage and 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner to wipe down the Camry Surfaces. You can get both from Griot’s Garage – I like their stuff. I think the 3M Adhesive remover is available at most hardware stores. The instructions also suggested lightly sanding the finish before installing. I could not bring myself to do that step. Actually most of the pieces have a lot of support - the piece that is least supported is the rear air dam. The front piece is supported because it slips into the lower scoop and the fog light holes. The side pieces clip pretty tightly onto the existing running boards. Razzi provides these stick on tabs that act as a ledge to support the rear air dam.

Front air dam: The instructions are very cautious about fitting and checking for interference with the front grill and the rubber covers where the fog lights go. I installed the Toyota Fog Lights in my Camry last year so I paid close attention to their warnings. I removed the grill (you just have to wiggle and push it in and it comes out very easily). I removed the rubber fog light covers. The fairing fit in without a problem!!! I removed all three items and after the fairing was glued screwed and secured, the grill and rubber covers popped back in right behind the fairing – no problems!!!!

Side pieces: These fit like a glove and slide on very easily and securely. I thought I would get wise and put the dabs of glue on the rocker panel instead of the Razzi piece. Don’t do this – follow the instructions!!! If you put it on the rocker panel and then push the fairing on, you squeeze the glue into the door well where you see it and then you have to wipe it off and clean it up. If you follow the instructions and put it on the pieces, when you push it on, it will smear back into the piece where you can’t see it.

Rear piece: The instructions don’t really describe the importance of the hole you have to cut in your bumper!!! The rear air dam has two exhaust cut outs and the Hybrid bumper has one. Grab a 2 inch diameter hole saw and attach it to your drill. Estimate roughly where the cut out is going to go. It is pretty much where that stylish crease ends near the bottom of the rear bumper. Basically, you are going to make a cut out in the rear bumper about 4 inches high and 6 inches wide. Drill two 2” diameter holes about 6 inches apart (on edge, not on diameter) and use a hand held saw to join the top edges of your holes. Use the saw, starting at the edges of the holes and cut downward.

Also, the Camry comes with an undercover panel sealing off the bottom of the car. You have to cut that as well to fit the cut out (think 3 dimensions). You also need to cut out this square to attach the fake exhaust. Crawl under the car (on jack stands) with the 2 inch hole saw. You will see the tow tab slot cut in the underside cover - that will form one edge of the square you have to cut. Roughly line up the edge of the cut out in the bumper and drill a 2 inch diameter hole. Using your handsaw, cut one edge back to the tow tab slot. Cut the other edge towards the bumper. See diagram and photo.

The Real Exhaust: They warn you that it is important to install the exhaust extension so the hot exhaust fumes won’t melt your beautiful air dams. At more than a $1000, I was not about to take a chance. The problem is the bolted on extension is made for the 2” diameter tail pipe coming out of the muffler. See Photo below:

I know the Hybrid was sold in two configurations – loaded (Nav System, sunroof, etc.) and bare bones. Mine has the sunroof and it also had a really nice stainless steel extension welded onto the 2” diameter muffler tail pipe. This cover needs to be cut off with a Dremel tool/cut off wheel or else the extension won’t fit on!! It is also a lot easier to cut off the nice welded on piece before the rear air dam is installed!!! I learned this the hard way, hopefully you are spared!!!! Use the Dremel tool, cut around the circumference of the decorative cover and avoid getting near the original tail pipe!!!

The Fake Exhaust: Not much to say here. I’ve marked up the instructions; there was a piece I did not need to use. They have a metal bar with two holes in it that jogs the assembly sideways. I just used the L-Bracket and it lined up perfectly. Razzi provides 2 metric threaded bolts that fit the threading on the tab on the frame of the Camry – no nut required. The slots in the L-Bracket were narrow and the bolts did not slide in them. I went through the trouble of grinding the slots open. The truth is - the correct position for me was the extremes – Fake Exhaust as low as it can go and as far foreward (in) as it can go.

Anyway, other than these little warnings, the installation is amazingly simple and you will be really happy. Find a way to get all four wheels off and it won’t be nearly as exhausting!! Please post pictures and let us all know how happy you are with your car!! I think this is a great way to spice things up!!!

Happy Hybrid Owners!!!
Randyman!!!

PS: I am trying to attach a pdf of the Razzi Instructions and a pdf of the Exhaust Extensions Instructions. I keep getting error messages. Any help??

Last edited by Randyman; 04-14-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Razzi Ground Effects Kit Installation

Bravo! Nice work and looks great!! Good instructions and tips too.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: Razzi Ground Effects Kit Installation

Can't wait for my Razzi kit to arrive and install it with the fake exhaust. Ordered fogs and want body side moldings also. The moldings are not available because of adhesive issues.

Nice pics, ours is Barcelona red also. Looks like the laptop will go to the garage when I install the Razzi kit so I can access your tips, thanks!

Ordered our Razzi kit, with exhaust, JDM fogs, and spoiler on EBAY. Ordered the body kit and spoiler prepainted. Have the spoiler and it looks like a good match, hope the kit is as good.

We will have twins when I'm finished except for the clear fogs on ours. Sorry to be a copy cat. Toyota should offer the sport body kit installed. I guess they figure it's a hybrid, not a sports car, but like you said, we enjoy the look also.

Great post Randyman, thanks!

Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JamiEimaj
Bravo! Nice work and looks great!! Good instructions and tips too.

Thanks for your kind words, I'm pretty happy with the results and I really like this forum. I have learned so much and I realize I can pass along some experience as well.

I saw on your list of attributes that you have a VIP Remote Starter. I just spent a couple of hours installing the Toyota OEM kit. I was really impressed by how great everything fit and all of the precautions they asked their technicians to take (foam tape, wire ties, etc.). I got all the way to registering my smart keys and I got successful confirmation. Then the instructions started describing steps requiring a Toyota Diagnostic Tool. I was so bummed that I could not finish the installation. Did you do it yourself? Did you have to get the tool?

Even if you had the system installed, do you start your car with two presses and then hold the 3rd press for 3 seconds?

Thanks for your kind words; it is so nice to meet other Happy Camry people!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Copy Cat?? - not at all!!!! Actually every time I see another Barcelona Red I give them a honk and a thumbs up when they look over!!! I've enjoyed hearing from you and I hope your installation goes smoothly - I am sure it will.

I have to admit, ground effects, spoiler, fog lights, etc. - I hope you are not doing it all at once!!! Either that or I know what you are doing on the long Memorial Day weekend!!!

Either way, I think time spent tinkering on your Camry is not subtracted from your life span!!!!

Have fun and keep in touch!!!
Randyman

Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 PM

Hope to have the spoiler and body kit done in one day. Then I will worry about the fogs. I think that is an attainable goal. May start the fogs the same day if time permits.

They tell you to sand the body lightly before adding the body kit, that scares me also. I understand the concept, it gives the adhesive a better bond. Maybe I will try some ultra fine crocus cloth.

Does anyone else have input on this? I would think as long as you have the body cleaned well adhesion would be adequate. I just hate the thought of sanding some place that may not be needed. OUCH!

Rubber undercoat the wheel well tabs? Can you elaborate?

Thanks again, and I know you are enjoying your car as much as I will enjoy mine when I am finished!

Old 04-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

No problem, let me know if you need anything. I saved the page about undercoating as a jpg and I can upload that. I wish I knew how to attach the whole document - anybody?? Here is the undercoat page:

Old 04-13-2008, 06:39 AM

OK, I understand. It is to hide the wrap around from the body kit, I thought is was under the body kit wrap around (between the kit and original body). Sorry I can't help on the pdf file. Great tips and pics anyway. I will look for the paint prep and 3M adhesive cleaner, I might lightly wet sand the body if I get brave enough. Did you have to purchase more adhesive, or did enough come with the kit? If so, what kind? I was thinking about giving the parts a couple of coats of wax before installation, or do they advise you to wait for the paint to cure?

Great results and sense of accomplishment, I'm sure I will walk a trough around mine when it's done also! LOL!

Is that a camera mounted in the middle of the rear spioler area? Just wondered what the black spot was.

What is the next mod Randyman?

I can't think of much more I would want except I think some different wheels could make a huge difference, but, the bank is tapped out. Maybe later.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

No need to buy adhesive – they include a caulking tube of the 24 hour adhesive. I think I used half of the tube. The Tips sheet has faster acting stuff if you don’t want to wait. They don’t mention anything about waxing before installing. I think it would be hard, because the parts are very flexible until they are anchored to your car. Besides, I was dying to get this kit installed!!! It is more fun waxing everything together anyway!!! It allows you to beam and admire your work even more!!!

You have really sharp eyes!!! I was inspired by “jagbagri’s” post: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f49/back-up-camrea-installation-nav-unt-pictures-11672/

I just finished hooking it up yesterday!! I am sooooooo happy with this – threw the car in reverse and the Navigation screen shows the rear view of the car!!!

Hope this does not add to your list of projects, but this was fun!!! Also, living in New York, where a good parallel parking spot may leave you with 3 inches clearance between the front and rear cars, a backup camera really does help!! I think the city is famous for cars with (I want credit for coining this phrase!!!) “Bumper Acne”. Those awful scraped bumpers from people parking using the Braille method!!!

I also spent yesterday installing a remote starting system. I am kind of bummed because I got all the way to getting a confirmed registration of my Smart Key and then the instructions said I needed a Toyota Diagnostic tool. Have to see how that is going to finish up.

The only other project I am looking forward to is hooking up under carriage Neon lights.
I’m not “Fast & Furious” – I’m “Economical and Pretty Happy!!”

Have fun – you have a lot of great projects ahead and your car is going to look “cherry”!!
Randyman

Last edited by Randyman; 04-13-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:36 PM

We didn't get nav on ours, that's great it hooks up through the nav screen. Parallel parking is almost never done here. Great pic of the area behind the car. Very handy for you I'm sure.

No neon for me, Mama wouldn't permit it anyway.

We are thinking of switching and buying the Sentra wing for the Camry, undecided. If so I will have to sell my lip spoiler which has not been installed. I told Mama to decide what she wants before I start drilling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Razzi Ground Effects Kit Installation

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands