Rear turn signal bulbs and LED replacements

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear turn signal bulbs and LED replacements

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Or replace the flasher which appears to be located directly behind the dash cluster. When I feel like spending $50 on two bulbs and a flasher I'll do the job and write up a DIY.
I wouldnt even spend $50. Get $5 LED bulbs and two resistor kits for $5 each and be done. The resistor kits splices the wires for you. All you do is plug in the LED bulb into the socket, splce the wire with the clip that comes with the resistor kit and done.

$50 for bulbs? Outrageous. Not to mention getting to the back of the dash? No thanks.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcemureviews
I wouldnt even spend $50. Get $5 LED bulbs and two resistor kits for $5 each and be done. The resistor kits splices the wires for you. All you do is plug in the LED bulb into the socket, splce the wire with the clip that comes with the resistor kit and done.

$50 for bulbs? Outrageous. Not to mention getting to the back of the dash? No thanks.
The brightest LED turn signal bulbs I have found thus far are $24.99 (see below). There are similar LED bulbs on eBay, however, I have personally had a bad experience with "no name" LED bulbs. I tried SuperBrightLEDs' 15 LED 7440/43 bulb and they were not bright enough for daylight driving (in my opinion). If you know of a supplier whom sell LED bulbs that are just as bright or brighter than the stock incandescent 21w bulb, please provide a reference.

Concerning the load resistors, yes, you can use that method. However, if you want to reduce power draw (the point of LEDs), it is my understanding that you cannot achieve this with a load resistor as it will "consume" the power. In addition, using a load resistor will permanently "damage" your stock wiring.

Gaining access to the flasher is not overly complicated. If you replace the flasher you do not do any harm to your existing wiring and in the event something goes wrong, you could return the vehicle to it's original state without evidence of anything to the contrary.

If you have the time, the forum would benefit from a DIY of your experience with using load resistors.

Mike

From Autolumination:

Eagle Eye Tower
11 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS
These Bulbs have Advanced Surface Mount Technology LEDS. The most powerful 7443 led bulbs made
10x high powered SMT side facing LEDS - 1x 3 watt luxeon super high powered forward facing LEDS
Only 20mm diameter x 52mm overall - fits all stock housings

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 11-05-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast

I havent done the load resistors yet. I just had a car meet on Saturday and someone did the load resistor. Didnt seem like there was any problems. I however dont like splicing factory wires.

If you do it from the dash cluster, I am interested in viewing a DIY. I prefer not voiding warranty or damaging factory wires.

Keep us/me updated on the lights.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast

The brightest LED turn signal bulbs I have found thus far are $24.99 (see below). There are similar LED bulbs on eBay, however, I have personally had a bad experience with "no name" LED bulbs. I tried SuperBrightLEDs' 15 LED 7440/43 bulb and they were not bright enough for daylight driving (in my opinion). If you know of a supplier whom sell LED bulbs that are just as bright or brighter than the stock incandescent 21w bulb, please provide a reference.

Concerning the load resistors, yes, you can use that method. However, if you want to reduce power draw (the point of LEDs), it is my understanding that you cannot achieve this with a load resistor as it will "consume" the power. In addition, using a load resistor will permanently "damage" your stock wiring.

Gaining access to the flasher is not overly complicated. If you replace the flasher you do not do any harm to your existing wiring and in the event something goes wrong, you could return the vehicle to it's original state without evidence of anything to the contrary.

If you have the time, the forum would benefit from a DIY of your experience with using load resistors.

Mike
Anyone try the V-LED (http://www.v-leds.com/) 5W 921 (backup) or 3457 (front turn signal) bulbs? These look like the brightest (lumens) out there, plus the fact that they are 5W I'm guessing they don't require a resistor, yet are still significantly under the original wattage. Also, another quesiton -- anyone know if the 3457 and 921 bulbs are SACK type (single ground vs dual ground -- see http://autolumination.com/conversion.html)? Camry is not listed on that site, but just checking before I order $100 worth of LEDs.

Last edited by ruc2827; 05-28-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 AM

Concerning the load resistors, yes, you can use that method. However, if you want to reduce power draw (the point of LEDs)

No, LEDs have two advantageous aspects, INSTANT ON, and extreme reliability vs incandescent filaments.

, it is my understanding that you cannot achieve this with a load resistor as it will "consume" the power.

Agreed, but using resistors might be the easiest way to "fix" the flasher relay timing and/or bulb failure detection/indication.

In addition, using a load resistor will permanently "damage" your stock wiring.

Not bloody likely....Using the resistor(s) simply returns the electric current load factor, wattage, to something close, lower typically, than that of the incandescent bulb(s) you are replacing.

But great care must be excersized in replacing the flasher relay. First, you want to be sure and get a new SOLID STATE flasher. There are flasher relays on the aftermarket that will DAMAGE your wiring if you replace the fuse it blows repetitively.

Additionally many of the desireable solid state flasher relay now have a bulb failure detection circuit the will trigger a "FAST FLASH" (just like the old style) to alert you that a turn signal bulb has failed. If you don't have the expertise to open the solid state flasher and change the load sensing resistor to a value that is correct for the new, lower, LED bulb current load then the external resistor used to simulate the original incandescent buld current loading is the only option.

Complicated...

Many new vehicles come equipped with solid state flasher AND tail/stop light bulb failure detection. On my '01 RX300 I not only had to open up the solid state flasher relay and empirically determine (trial and error) the correct resistance for replacing the load sensing resistor, I had to do the same for three bulb failure detection circuits.

Not simple...

Unlike dual filament incandescent bulbs the tail light circuit/section of a LED bulb does not continue to draw current with the stop light circuit/section powered, illuminated. So I had to come up with a separate transistorized circuit to simulate the current draw of the LED bulb's tail light circuit/section when the bulb's stop light circuit/section was powered.

Mike

From Autolumination:
Eagle Eye Tower
11 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS
These Bulbs have Advanced Surface Mount Technology LEDS. The most powerful (maybe so but the extraordinary extra cost doesn't justify...) 7443 led bulbs made
10x high powered SMT side facing LEDS - 1x 3 watt luxeon super high powered forward facing LEDS
Only 20mm diameter x 52mm overall - fits all stock housings
I have found that dollar for dollar V-LED bulbs, ebay.com or V-LEDS.com, are significantly brighter than those from autolumination. Regretably I just recently had to learn that yet again ordering from autolumination and comparing 7443 bulbs with those from V-LED.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
I have found that dollar for dollar V-LED bulbs, ebay.com or V-LEDS.com, are significantly brighter than those from autolumination. Regretably I just recently had to learn that yet again ordering from autolumination and comparing 7443 bulbs with those from V-LED.
Are you using their 5W front and 3W rear turn signal LEDs, and do they require a resistor to avoid fast flashing? I assume not since they are higher power (yet still a combined 44W and 36W savings for front parking lights/signals and rear turn signals respectively). Also, can you confirm whether the original bulb you replaced had 3 wires or 4 wires on the wedge base (3 corresponds to SACK type wiring configuration vs regular configuration). Thanks.

Last edited by ruc2827; 05-28-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by ruc2827
Are you using their 5W front and 3W rear turn signal LEDs, and do they require a resistor to avoid fast flashing? I assume not since they are higher power (yet still a combined 44W and 36W savings for front parking lights/signals and rear turn signals respectively). Also, can you confirm whether the original bulb you replaced had three wires or 4 wires on the wedge base (correesponding to two vs one ground which coresponds to SWAK vs regular base). Thanks.
The tail/stop LED bulbs draw 0.225 amps in high/stop mode and 0.070 amps in low/tail mode. 4 wires on the base but two are connected together inside so correct polarity must be observed.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Rear turn signal bulbs and LED replacements

Great, those are 3W, which is the brightest ones I've found for the 922 size bulb, and the ones I'm considering for the rear turn signals. V-LED also has a 5W for the 3457 front parking light/turn signal, which is what I'm considering. So, I'm assuming no resistor is needed to prevent fast flashing since you didn't mention any. Thanks for confirming it is 4 pins.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:48 AM

I didn't use LOAD resistors, I used low wattage resistors of empirically determined resistance values to modify the current flow level detection circuit internally to the solid state flasher relay, and separately in the Lexus bulb failure detection module.

In other words I "reprogammed" the flasher relay so it would go into fast flash mode if, instead of >0.400 amps of current flow, it got <0.300 amps of current flow.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

Bringing this back. How easy is it to get the the turn signal flasher inside the dash?

Can I just remove the instrument panel or do I have to remove the dashboard? Which one does our Camry use?

Last edited by dcemureviews; 05-15-2009 at 09:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear turn signal bulbs and LED replacements

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands