Rocks hitting hood and front bumper

Old 09-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Rocks hitting hood and front bumper

It happens to us all, driving down the road and another car or truck shoots up a small rock and hits your hood or front bumper. I have seen 1 or 2 so far on mine, I have touch up on the way but that always seems to be noticeable to me. Is there a better solution?

Old 09-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rocks hitting hood and front bumper

I've had my TCH just over a month, and I've already got 4-5 little pits from rocks. The paint on the TCH does not seem to be as durable as other cars I've had in the past. I'm going to consider getting a clear-bra on the front dam.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My expierience with Asian auto paint, especially Toyota is it chips easy.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm scheduled this Friday for a clear bra.......

Old 09-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kluken
My expierience with Asian auto paint, especially Toyota is it chips easy.
German paint isn't any better.

I've had good results with the clear bra on my HiHy...I think. No way to tell if it's been hit by rocks.

Unfortunately I can't say the same about my R Class. Due to it's design, a bra won't help. I'm getting chips all over the upper third of the hood. So it goes...

Old 09-05-2006, 08:51 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Did my first two touch ups this last weekend. I have the deflector which saves a few inches of the leading edge, but I think the clear bra idea is probably better at covering more area but even then rock will find all of your hood equally tasty. It really seems like an unwinable battle. The question is how much money and effort you want to put into delaying the enemy.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
Did my first two touch ups this last weekend. I have the deflector which saves a few inches of the leading edge, but I think the clear bra idea is probably better at covering more area but even then rock will find all of your hood equally tasty. It really seems like an unwinable battle. The question is how much money and effort you want to put into delaying the enemy.
How did your touch ups go - did you use any special techniques or gadgets that may be out there.... You are right on the delaying the inevitable - I figure if I can keep it somewhat in good shape - it may increase the resale later down the road and give me a sense of peace - or at least until the new car feeling wears off .... The clear bras can come off too...

Here is an interesting article on the clear bras and my estimate it will cost about $450 - $500 for the entire front end including bumper and mirrors. I was quoted $225 for just the hood, side fender, and mirrors....

http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml

Old 09-05-2006, 10:32 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by RCFlyer
How did your touch ups go - did you use any special techniques or gadgets that may be out there....
I just used the Toyota two-sided touch up paint. Color on one side and clear on the other. I give myself a 6 out of 10 for the job. Because I know where it is, I can easily see it but anyone else simply admiring the car would probably not notice it.

I'm a realist. When you see a nice car in a parking lot or while driving you never see tiny things like rock chips. You admire the look, the style, the uniqueness, the cleaniless. Only the owner knows it's true warts (and who cares about other people's warts ). I'm not fooling myself into thinking my car will be forever pristine. Avoid the big dings, treat the small wounds and keep it clean is my goal...

Old 09-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

well, I don't want a bra so I guess a very fine tip brush and touch up paint will have to do the job.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I paid 475 for full bumpers front & rear, hood, fender, mirrors & headlights. So far no chips and no bumper rubs on the corners. They love to rub bumpers here in NYC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rocks hitting hood and front bumper

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands