Safety issue with replacement windshields

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:12 AM
An Enthusiast
Default Safety issue with replacement windshields

If you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced, please read this. If you haven't, and want to comment, please do so in the "Info if you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced" thread.

It has been discovered that many people with Camry Hybrids that need a replacement windshield are getting one designed for the gas Camry. Since gas Camrys do not require a windshield as strong as what is required in the Hybrid, and windshields sustain about 30%-50% of the weight of a vehicle in a rollover, getting the gas Camry windshield in a Hybrid has the potential to turn a bad car accident into a fatal one.

So it is extremely important to find out more details about this issue. If you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced, I am asking that you post (or send me a private message here, if you prefer):

[1] Who replaced your windshield,
[2] Information on which windshield it was replaced with.
[3] Whether or not you informed someone that you thought it might be the wrong glass (and if so, what company and when).

For #2, you can look at the bottom of the driver's side of the windshield, and look for the M# and DOT#. As an example, the replacement I received was M334 and DOT376. If you have M334/DOT376 or M555/DOT404, it's a gas Camry windshield; if you have M3K4/DOT20 (or MEK4/DOT20; the 2nd character isn't very legible), it's a Camry Hybrid windshield.

Specifically, I'm trying to find out whether this is a problem just with Safelite, whether it affects other auto glass companies (it could be a problem with a bad database entry somewhere), and whether or not these companies knew ahead of time that they were installing the wrong glass.

If you have any questions, I would ask that you post them in the "Info if you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced" thread instead of here, to prevent this thread from becoming off-topic.
-Scott

P.S. If you are interested in more details about windshields and repairs/replacements, I'm compiling as much information as I can at www.carwindshields.info .