Spare Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Spare Tire?

The specs on my soon-to-be-delivered TCH indicate that the car does not come with a full-size spare tire. Two questions here...
1) Will a full-size spare fit into the trunk in the space that holds the "doughnut" tire?
2) Thoughts on getting a full-size spare tire...is it necessary?

Old 06-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Spare Tire?

On point 1, according to the salesman that went over our TCH, you can fit a full size spare. I don't know where to get one, however.

Point 2 is a personal preference I guess.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Spare Tire?

1) Yes. I have one in mine. Its a tight fit, but it does fit. The donut is almost the same diameter as a real tire. The real tire is thicker. You do have to find another place to stow the jack. The plastic jack-holder tray must be removed, but the tire fits in the well.

2) I have only had to use a spare tire twice in more than 30 years. However, both times were well before dawn on Sunday mornings, hundreds of miles from home. If I only had a donut, I would have had to wait until Monday to buy a tire before driving the rest of the way home. (Hotel + meals + another day.) On one of those trips, the way home was on lonely 2-lane road across a huge swamp, with NO road service, NO cell phone service, and NO other help available. If you valued your life, you didn't start driving across that swamp without a spare.

As a second consideration, I have alloy wheels that are hard to find.... so when I saw the matching fifth wheel+tire on ebay, I decided to pick it up just to have it.