Spark Knock, Acceleration or Transmission noise between 20-35MPH

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Spark Knock, Acceleration or Transmission noise between 20-35MPH

I have the same problem, I'm about to drop some 93 octane to see if it solves it. Dang Atkinson motor.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Great thread. Funny how we all have he same issues. Mine has over $140k though and really has been a dependable car. I will get new plugs. Other than that, filling up at Costco and using an occasional bottle of Techron is about all I am going to do about the knocking. It only is noticeable when the engine is cold and I am running 20-30 mph in downtown where the sound bounces off other cars and I can better hear it. Oh well.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I sort of back tracked posts.
I don't believe anyone here has actual pinging noise. What you all most likely have is normal rockers noise. Gap between rocker and valve tappet. Those engines do not have oil lifters, they have tappets. Over the mileage and age, mating surfaces wear out resulting in excessive gap and clicking noise when metal hits metal.
Unfortunately, this is where Honda does better than Toyota. On Honda engines gap is adjustable. On Toyota engines - good for Toyota, of course - you have to replace tappets with proper size. Job costs about $500 plus at decent independent. Quite tedious job. They have to measure current gap on each valve, remove tappet, and replace with one that closes the gap better.
You know what tipped me on this conclusion? Poster who was sitting at the bus stop listening to engines. I guarantee you, there is not that many drivable cars with actually pinging engines. With valve train noise? Sure, bulk of them on the road has it.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:24 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. My TCH (70k miles) is also experiencing this noise on light acceleration. I actually found this thread after finding the OP's youtube videos of the noise. The problem became noticeable over the last few months. Nothing really changed, same gas station, same fuel grade (91 RON, no ethanol). I will try to use a better grade fuel here in Australia and see if that solves the problem. But reading this thread I wonder if there's a conclusive fix to this problem other than changing gas and using fuel additives to clean the injectors/valves? Any further experiences from the original posters would be helpful thanks!

Last edited by assailantsky; 11-09-2016 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

"this noise on light acceleration" reminds me of what happens with some of the Honda hybrids when their EGR ports get clogged. Has anyone investigated if cleaning out the EGR ports helps this issue?

Old 11-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Has anyone investigated if cleaning out the EGR ports helps this issue?
Thanks Keith, I'll give that a go over the weekend, if I can find the EGR...

Old 02-20-2017, 10:58 PM
Enthusiast

The problem is the VVTi solenoid. If there are any oil deposits or if the engine starts to get worn enough to lower oil pressure, the VVTi (Variable Valve Timing) can't do its job. This is why tromping on the gas pedal makes the noise go away, it revs the nuts off the engine and cranks up the oil pressure.

I stopped using 0W10 oil and switched over to 5W20 dino oil. I then run midgrade gasoline in it. No more noise.

I just haven't had the chance to take the top of the engine apart to swap the part out. IT's not that expensive even. Oreilly part

I've already put a new knock sensor in mine. Didn't help. I've had two master Toyota mechanics and two independent mechanics confirm this is what's wrong.

BTW, mine is an 08 with 207,000 miles on it. I drive Uber 375 miles a day in Seattle and I am not kind to the car. She is doing just fine (I bought her at 163,000 last June).

Old 02-28-2017, 03:16 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mickey_D
The problem is the VVTi solenoid. If there are any oil deposits or if the engine starts to get worn enough to lower oil pressure, the VVTi (Variable Valve Timing) can't do its job. This is why tromping on the gas pedal makes the noise go away, it revs the nuts off the engine and cranks up the oil pressure.

I stopped using 0W10 oil and switched over to 5W20 dino oil. I then run midgrade gasoline in it. No more noise.

I just haven't had the chance to take the top of the engine apart to swap the part out. IT's not that expensive even. Oreilly part

I've already put a new knock sensor in mine. Didn't help. I've had two master Toyota mechanics and two independent mechanics confirm this is what's wrong.

BTW, mine is an 08 with 207,000 miles on it. I drive Uber 375 miles a day in Seattle and I am not kind to the car. She is doing just fine (I bought her at 163,000 last June).
Thanks Mickey for that. Please update if the problem goes away after you change the vvti solenoid. A tutorial would be helpful if you're DIY. I'm running Castro synthetic 5w-30 oil, so same viscosity when engine is warm. I'll try a higher grade gas and see if the noise goes away. Cheers

Old 06-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Professor Emeritus

Well I have to say that I really cannot believe it! I have been dealing with this ridiculous problem for the life of the **** car! I was all set to change out the VVTI solenoid until I read Mickey D's post. For over 260,000 + miles I have dealt with this noise and I have read about the issues related to timing, the solenoid, cam phaser, etc... Pretty interesting stuff.

I figured, I'm not going to just change the oil to "see it it works". So, I waited until it dropped down about half way down the stick. When the engine is "pinging", it uses much more oil and it is always is much worse when it's really hot out.

Anyway.... I have always run Mobil 1 0/20 since day 1 in this car and after about the 56,000 miles the pining started and it's been there ever since. I do 7500 mile oil changes and over those miles I have ALWAYS had to ad about an additional quart over those miles. In the winter (when there is no pinging) there is almost no oil consumption at all. During the summer it pings like mad! Like a mid 70's Oldsmobile! I have noticed that oil consumption is much worse. It seems to use more. But, still it's never over about 1 quart in 7500 miles.

So, last week I remembered this post and I figured I would top up the 0/20 with some 0/30 instead. It has been pinging like mad in the pre summer heat... After topping up with only about 1/3 of a quart of the 0/30, the pinging has stopped! GONE! I cannot believe it!

My regular oil change is still a month or so away. I can tell you that I am switching to 5/30. The same stuff I run in the Tacoma.

The verdict is still out on the "consumption". But, I am shocked.... It worked!

Old 09-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Enthusiast

I'll have to second that oil recommendation. I've been dealing with this noise issue for a long long time. Finally tonight I added half a quart of 5w20 (all I had available) and already the noise is almost totally gone.