Spray or Wash your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Spray or Wash your engine?

I typically spray down my ICE engines in my other vehicles - but can you spray down your hybrid engine or has anyone tried to? Mine is needs a bath but thought I read somewhere that it's a bad idea!

Thoughts?

Old 11-14-2007, 05:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Spray or Wash your engine?

The user manual states explicitly to avoid getting the engine compartment wet or you may damage the hybrid systems.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:32 AM

I've soaped and washed the engine compartment in my '04 HCH more times than can count. I've never had any problems with it.
-Steve

Old 11-14-2007, 06:58 AM

the best thing you can do is just wipe it down with simple green... it's a pain but does the trick and avoids any moisture from getting within the wire protectors.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:07 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by rmorrow
The user manual states explicitly to avoid getting the engine compartment wet or you may damage the hybrid systems.
I guess I better stop driving in the rain.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
Yes, the Pacific Northwest has the highest per-capita ownership of hybrids as well as the most rainy days, so I suspect that getting the engine wet isn't a problem!

Old 11-15-2007, 07:47 AM
HSD Organic Interface

I suspect some splashing from the tires is significantly different from taking a garden hose and blasting around the top of the engine where most of the wiring is.
I've gotten my laptop wet occasionally from a dash between offices where I work on rainy days, but that doesn't mean I'm going to hold it under the faucet when the keys get a bit grimy.

Obviously the wiring under the hood is reasonably well protected from moisture, I should expect it would handle getting blasted with water, but common sense should prevail. If you really want to use your hose, be gentle. Better yet, treat it as you would your computer, not your socks. If you really care, then care. If you don't, then why mess with it

PS Just because blasting it with water didn't hurt it, doesn't make it a good idea.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Dazed and Confused

What I said was a bit tongue in cheak.

I know you should not blast the thing with water, but a bit of damp cleaning will not hurt it.

Really a low pressure garden hose should not even hurt it, but that probably won't dislodge any grime either.

Just don't go to the coin op and use the high pressure washer.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

To clean under the hood I just used a damp rag. It get most of the grime without worrying about excess water getting into sensitive components.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:58 AM

exactly... just avoid overdoing it. i can't remember where I read this but avoid using a steam power washer, the idea behind this is that steam has an easier time of gettting underneath the wire sheath and then condense into water.

Quick Reply: Spray or Wash your engine?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands