Squeaking in the center console???

Old 06-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Brian5499
Default Squeaking in the center console???

Ok fellow TCH owners,
This may be a bs complaint/comment but I have to find out if it is an annoyance to anyone else. Has anyone noticed that the center console "squeaks"? If you push down on the hard plastic where the shifter is it squeaks like an old bed. I notice it on colder days when I go over bumps and dont have the radio on. It can squeak really bad at times. Does anyone notice this..and if so is it enough of an annoyance to complain about??

Let me know. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console???

Nope, can't say I've noticed it. I'll listen for it tonight on the drive home.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:52 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by BJM5499
Ok fellow TCH owners,
This may be a bs complaint/comment but I have to find out if it is an annoyance to anyone else. Has anyone noticed that the center console "squeaks"? If you push down on the hard plastic where the shifter is it squeaks like an old bed. I notice it on colder days when I go over bumps and dont have the radio on. It can squeak really bad at times. Does anyone notice this..and if so is it enough of an annoyance to complain about??

Let me know. Thanks!
I haven't noticed any problem with squeaking in that area. But using the attached may solve your problem.

But seriously, if it continues to make noise, have your dealer check that the console is screwed together tightly.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Electricity Guzzler

I was right about to post about this problem. I have it on my car too. I went to the dealer and booked an appt. for them to fix it on my car. I went for a drive with one of the dealer employees to show him. It appear to be the center console on the left side under the small vertical piece. You can pull this off with a good yank. (It has a couple of clips holding it on.) I do believe it is the bottom piece. It appears that the fit is too tight and that gives you the "crickets have sex" sound. Def. bring it to your dealer. Your not the first one to notice this. I remember another owner mentioning it last week on another site. edumunds.com I believe. My appt. isn't till July 3rd, but I'll post how they resolve the issue. Please post your results, but get your dealer to fix it. Our car is so quiet that little squeaks like that in a new car gets old very, very quick.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:43 PM
it's just a car...

Thanks for posting about this!

Upon delivery, my TCH was so quiet that I immediately obsessed about when the first squeak or rattle would appear.

Several candidates (plastic cups, keys, coins, etc.) came and went, but the chatter of the center console fin(s) vibrating at the bottom appeared at about 1,000 miles.

Once heard, it can't be ignored in the oh, so quiet interior. It seems to happen when driving on rough pavement -- especially rippled patterns that set up a rhythmic motion.

The chirp can also be produced by gently moving my knee side to side against the fin. It's real, all right.

I plan to notify my dealer as suggested, in case there's a known fix.

I've read about similar squeaks being fixed by stuffing flexible foam rods into the offending joint. If no other solution is offered, I will try this.

Has anyone really pulled one of these out to inspect the fastener? If so, please post photos. Also, did it snap back into place after being removed?

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image1443.html

Last edited by vioarc; 06-14-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:20 PM
it's just a car...

Originally Posted by BJM5499
Ok fellow TCH owners,
...I notice it on colder days when I go over bumps...Let me know. Thanks!
Apparently, your observation about colder temperatures is correct.

Mine are noisy going out the drive when it's cool.

This afternoon, after my TCH had been parked in the sun for some time,
I drove over the type of bumps the usually make the squeaks and noticed nothing happened. I could not make either fin/wing emit a sound.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

My console started squeaking this past weekend.
I was able to reproduce it while parked by holding the center console by the black tray just infront of the armrest and shifting it back and forth parallel to the dashboard. This caused it to squeak nice and loud.
I tapped down around the edges of the console then tried shifting it back and forth, now it no longer squeaks.
We'll see how long this "fix" lasts. (3 days so far)

Old 06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast

I've noticed the squeking too and thought it had something to do with the shifter, but been ignoring it expecting it to go away. very faint, but occasionally my friends will ask about it. Definitely happens more when the car is cold.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Camry Hybrid Owner

Had the same sqeaking noise the other morning when it was cold.

Traced the noise to the area marked in the photo. Opened the cupholder slightly and inserted 1 inch of 1/8 inch silicone fuel tubing under the marked area. (Small model airplane fuel line) No more squeak. Marked pic in the share section.
Thanks to vioarc for the original pic.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have the squeak too, coming from the center console left fin, and it is getting worse . I picked up my license plates yesterday and mentioned it to the dealer and he said that if enough people complain about something Toyota usually comes up with fix. I didn't make an appointment, I just mentioned it. I sure don't want to take the car in for a whole day but the squeak is pretty annoying.

Jasper Pearl, is your fix still working? And fullofbeans, do let us know what your dealer does to fix it. I keep giving the fin a gentle whack to make it stop, which it does for a few minute. The "cold" doesn't seem to have anything to do with the squeak for me...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking in the center console???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands