Squeaky Brakes ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Squeaky Brakes ...

I am driving a 2009 TCH with about 37,300 miles on it. At about the 35,000 mark my front brakes started to squeak pretty badly, but only when going under 5mph.

So I went and got the brakes checked at two different locations, (while getting other work done). One person did a visual inspection and said the brakes were pretty bad....(at Discount Tire), and the other, (Acura dealership), said I had 80% left on both the front and the back. The Acura dealership sprayed something on the brakes and they quieted down for a few days, but now it is just as bad again.

My question - I know the TCH uses the front brakes only at very low speeds/under hard braking, so I don't think I need to get them replaced. Are there any solutions I can spray on the pads to cut the squeaking? (I have driven in Reverse and then braked hard a few times. Works nicely but doesn't last but a day). -- Any tips? Also, around what mileage have you replaced your brakes at?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaky Brakes ...

This question showed up a while back and one suggestion was driving the car backwards while dragging the brakes for a short distance since the electric motor does not operate in reverse.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

One place tells you one thing, and the other completely different. You can drop by your local toyota dealer and let them have a look at the fronts to check for wear.

Their is a TSB on the rear brakes for a vibration sound caused when backing up and stopping. Your toyota service department can tell you if their is one for the front brakes.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 PM

If somebody tells you, you need to change break pads at 35k on TCH, run, they're taking you for a ride, unless you're racing all the time. I drive worst type of stop and go traffic and let's just say I'm not docile driver, I had to change my rear pads at 85k and only because for some strange reason both inside pads were wearing down only on a corner, can't figure it out since calipers are not frozen, they move freely. If it wasn't for that uneven wear they would be still good. Anyhow front is still good at about 50% at 95k miles. Mine started squeaking few months ago, out of the blue, I checked them and all seem fine so when weather gets better, I'm planning to put some of that blue stuff between pads and shims, albeit I didn't hear any squeaking last couple days, so maybe it was just the right combination of humidity, road salt and other crap for them to be noisy, in that case I leave it alone until it's time to change it, probably a year or so from now.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:59 PM

I forgot to mention, when toyota did the TSB on my rear brakes. The tech checked front and rear pads. He said, they look to have very little wear. The car had 30,000 miles on it at the time.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I lubricated my brake parts at about 36K miles. I expect to get > 100K miles out of my pads. The pads need to slide freely in the caliper to operate without binding. Good luck finding a mechanic that will do the job right...

Old 03-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Engineering Professor

Try on an open road going about 30 MPH, put your Camry in neutral (to defeat regeneration) and brake lightly a few times. This will clean up your rotors.

JeffD

Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Enthusiast

I have had squeaky rear brakes for as long as I can remember. It's not a safety issue unless the rear pads are wore (usually the inner pads).

I changed my rear pads at 56,000 miles because of "premature wearing."

I still have the original front pads after 102,500 miles. They still have about 70-80% of the pads left.

Squeaky front brakes for the TCH at 37,000 miles do not seem normal to me.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:41 PM

Don't sound right the rear pads wearing fast at 56,000 and the original fronts still good at 102,500.

You said:

I don't understand the 37,000 miles you mentioned if the fronts have 102,500 with the original pads.

Might check a local auto store as most sell a brake cleaning spray that might help with the squeaking.

Last edited by rburt07; 04-04-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
Don't sound right the rear pads wearing fast at 56,000 and the original fronts still good at 102,500.

You said:

I don't understand the 37,000 miles you mentioned if the fronts have 102,500 with the original pads.

Might check a local auto store as most sell a brake cleaning spray that might help with the squeaking.

Have you checked the TSB for the rears. I think it's for vibrating and squeaky brakes when backing up. I mentioned it to my local dealer and they replaced them at no charge.
I know there is a TSB for the rear brakes. They only cover it with the 36k warranty. Since the rear brakes only squeak when I'm backing up at low speed after a rainy day, I never bothered to get it corrected.

TCH front brakes last a very long time. In fact, I don't recall any member having to change them. I'm over 100k miles, and still have thick front pads. So what I was trying to say was that TCH front pads do not wear out that early. In addition, I have never had my front brakes squeak, nor have I read any member having that same problem. So if your front brakes are making squeaky noise, have that checked out. There may be some sort of whining squeal coming from the front, but not squeaky noise.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Brakes ...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands