Suddenly terrible hands-free sound quality?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Suddenly terrible hands-free sound quality?

In the 5+ years I've owned my 2007 TCH, the Bluetooth hands-free has been good. The people I call could usually tell I was hands-free, but seldom did anyone complain. Now, rather suddenly, I'm having people tell me I sound *horrible* that they hear something akin to wind noise that they never heard before.

The only recent change was having my AUX port replaced in December. I'm just wondering if there is anything that could have gone wrong in that repair, since the hands-free complaints began shortly thereafter.

Any thoughts?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Suddenly terrible hands-free sound quality?

For starters, pair a second phone to the car and see if it's the phone or the car.
they hear something akin to wind noise
is your window open when making the call? .... sorry couldn't resist that one!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
In the 5+ years I've owned my 2007 TCH, the Bluetooth hands-free has been good. The people I call could usually tell I was hands-free, but seldom did anyone complain. Now, rather suddenly, I'm having people tell me I sound *horrible* that they hear something akin to wind noise that they never heard before.

The only recent change was having my AUX port replaced in December. I'm just wondering if there is anything that could have gone wrong in that repair, since the hands-free complaints began shortly thereafter.

Any thoughts?
Could be something isn't quite "plugged in" all the way as a result of the Aux port fix - but it could also be (accidental) changes in phone settings. My phone, for example, has what they call 'privacy setting' that made the bluetooth microphone unusable. I inadvertently turned it on playing with the various phone settings, and all of a sudden had the phone/BT pair become unusable. Does the phone work OK with other BT devices?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I have not gotten to do any tests yet. The hands-free is still mostly usable, though I still get complaints. The phone does pair. I think the simplest thing is to pair it to another phone and try again. I think if it were totally unusable, I'd be trying harder to test it!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I tend to go through phones and the sound quality is very depenedent on the phone you are pairing. I had 3 Blackberry Tours, they all had terrible sound quality, as if you were in a tunnel. My Motorola and iPhone $s are perfect. So the advice try another phone even if just a friends, is good advice.