Sun Visors falling down... Toyota refuses to help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Professor Emeritus
Default Re: Sun Visors falling down... Toyota refuses to help

Originally Posted by haroldo
I got recall envelope in mail yesterday. It's called "Certain 2007 to 2011 Model Year Camry/Camry Hybrid Vehicles Sun Visor Assembly and Sun Visor Bracket"
I just got one of those also. It was not a recall.... Rather a "Warranty Extension Notice" for up to 7 years from date of production with unlimited mileage.

Basically it states that if you have any problems with the sunvisors or sunvisor brackets, to bring the car in or call them to see if the VIN qualifys you for replacements if they fail or fall down. This is for years 2007-2011.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That's what a recall is...unless it's a safety hazard (it's not), the deal is "if it breaks, we'll fix it".
Recalls are typically negotiated between the auto company and (I believe) NHTSA (or some other agency). If only 20% (making up a number here) fail and they are told they have to replace 100%, no company will be able to survive (think of the cost of repairing 80% of perfectly good items). So they cut a deal and pay for repairs if and only if it breaks.
That's fair.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by haroldo
That's what a recall is...unless it's a safety hazard (it's not), the deal is "if it breaks, we'll fix it".
Recalls are typically negotiated between the auto company and (I believe) NHTSA (or some other agency). If only 20% (making up a number here) fail and they are told they have to replace 100%, no company will be able to survive (think of the cost of repairing 80% of perfectly good items). So they cut a deal and pay for repairs if and only if it breaks.
That's fair.
Actually its "NOT"... At least not according to Toyota. I have had several "recall" notices. The most recent one being for me to come in and have the floor mats and accelerator pedal checked and possibly replaced. It was NOT a "Warranty Extension". The document states that you should visit the dealer immediately to prevent a possible dangerous situation.

If I cared enough I would post pictures of both documents FWIW. You cared enough to post whatever you posted. I am just posting the "facts" that I have read off the documents. That is all. Sorry if that upsets you. But it is all in black in white and pretty easy to read.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The mats/pedals were deemed a vital safety defect (especially after the media and congressional outrage) and were mandated to be offered for 100%
The visor is a sporadic mechanical failure affecting 10-30% (??) of vehicles...upon failure.
They are completely different issues.

If 10-30% (??) of engines exploded I'm sure they'd replace 100%
If 10-30% (??) of radio **** fell off they wouldn't replace 100%

Last edited by haroldo; 12-19-2012 at 10:05 AM.