Sun Visors and Stuck Accelerators

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Sun Visors and Stuck Accelerators

Well, the sun visor war is drawing to a close. After 2 weeks of brutal back and forth warfare with Toyota. And after untold thousands of salary dollars were spent fighting my demand and after literally making a Federal case out of it, Toyota agreed to replace my sun visor free of charge. I've spent the last six weeks waiting for the part because it is on backorder worldwide... this part that they have never seen fail, ever.

No call, no postcard, no email... I had to call the stealership myself every week to ask if production had caught up with demand yet on this part that Toyota has "never seen fail, except through abuse". Today, they said the part arrived. I have an appointment at lunch tomorrow to have it installed.

Curiously, ABC News on the web this morning is running a story about Toyota's stuck accelerators and floor mat issues. Some folks on this site have suggested that maybe the real problem isn't floor mats, but and electrical problem (like Ford in the 90's) that is causing runaway acceleration.

Sources at NTSB have told ABC News that there have been over 2,000 documented cases of un-commanded acceleration beyond 100mph. The cars in these cases had either OEM mats, aftermarket mats, or in many cases, no mats at all when this problem occurred.

I'm getting a bad feeling about this.

Look at the trouble this company endures to deny a known defect on a stupid sun visor... How do you suppose they would behave if confronted with a potentially fatal electrical or software defect, that they do not yet fully understand and/or do not have fix for.

Conventional wisdom over the last 30 years says Toyota is better than this. What happened?

Old 11-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Sun Visors and Stuck Accelerators

Night line had a segment where several Toyota owners were interviewed and they did not have floor mats installed, yet the car took off. One woman's car ended up in a stream after her Prius had uncontrolled acceleration and they are claiming defects in the electronic throttle control module. This mat issue may be bogus.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Sun Visors and Stuck Accelerators

My 07 TCH had the visor fall off in my wife's lap. Took it to the dealer 2 days ago, and they called and said the visor was coming in from chicago on fri - so we'll see. I have the 100k platium warranty and the dealer says its covered. Didn't seem to be an issue - will see on sat when I pick up the car... Will post results..

Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sun-visor problems.
Now I'm now wondering if these are Japan or Kentucky made Camry Hybrids.

I have a 2007 TCH from the Kentucky plant and both sun-visors are tight and work like new. I live in the desert and use them a lot.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mine is a japan built camry - but mine were tight also. They are held in by plastic clips - doesn't appear to be a sturdy design...

Old 06-25-2010, 05:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Are you 'rough' on them? Do you use one hand or two when adjusting them? Not trying to accuse you of anything, but trying to figure out whether this might be a problem for other people.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

IT's the wife's cas and I'm sure she is extremely gentle on them Just got the car back and the left hand visor costs 228.07 plus labor. These visors attach to the car with plastic clips. How long do u expect these to last no matter how gentle your are. All was covered under the extended warranty. Also had the wipers replaced - Toyota inserts cost 6.18 ea and 8.16 labor - total of 22.14 Feeling pretty good about this service call.

Last edited by KC Rusty; 06-26-2010 at 06:50 AM.