TCH Smart Key Tip

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 07:02 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default TCH Smart Key Tip

I have finally figured out a work around for a problem that I was having. Hopefully this might help some of you out.

Me and the wife take the TCH most of the time. When she goes into some places she wishes not to take her purse. This has always been a problem due to the fact that her keys are always in her purse. I can't lock the door because the car knows the fob is in there. This has meant that she has had to take her purse.

The other day I figured out that if her purse is in the car/trunk I can just use my remote to lock the door. Toyota must have thought about this and allowed it knowing that there is another way into the car and the only keys are not locked in. You will also have to unlock the car with the remote as it deactivates the smart key. This is very smart on Toyota's part. The system knows the key fob is inside and if it did not deactivate the system then anyone would be able to walk up and open the door.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH Smart Key Tip

Did you double check if trunk will open by pressing the sensor when FOB is inside?

Old 11-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
Did you double check if trunk will open by pressing the sensor when FOB is inside?

I did not but my guess is that it wont. You have a trunk button on the fob. It appaears that when a fob is left anywhere in the car and the car is locked using another fob that inturn deactivates the entire smartkey system.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pete4
It sounds like it does not. He said the Smart Key was disabled when the car was locked remotely. That is indeed very clever.