TCH windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default TCH windshield replacement

Not that it's needed yet, but eventually I will need to replace the TCH windshield. I seem to be a ding magnet.

One of the 'features' of the Toyota windshield is its sound absorbing properties...or something like that. I'm wondering if anybody has replaced their windshield yet, and if it was a standard replacement rather than the Toyota glass?

Thanks.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH windshield replacement

I don't even have my TCH yet, but I have had to replace the windshield on my Corolla. The very nice gentleman who came right to my driveway to do it ordered the exact same glass that Toyota uses in the factory for my Corolla. It wasn't too expensive, but thereafter I have always had full glass coverage on my insurance to avoid having to pay for it at all. Glass coverage wasn't too much extra.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Enthusiast

Last month I had the windshied replaced on my wife's Bonneville and I asked about the Camry's "sound absorbing windshield. He said he had not replaced any on a new Camry but he had replaced one on an Avalon Limited. He said that the plastic layer (laminated between the two glass layers that makes the windshield shatter into little pieces) was a bit thicker and did cost about 20% more. This was at a Guardian Glass shop. They used "Guardian Glass" on the Bonneville, but I don't know what glass they used on the Avalon - mfg. glass or their own (I'm guessing it was their own brand.)

Old 06-18-2006, 06:48 AM
HSD Organic Interface

I'd stick with the Toyota branded glass. I remember when I had the windshield replaced on my Sienna, the guy offerred no-name glass that was "exactly" the same as Toyota glass and was cheaper "because it was made at the same place Toyota gets their glass from". Well I'd just like to say that just because the glass comes from the same factory, DOES NOT make it the same quality. The difference is not just the Toyota brand on the glass, its the quality control systems behind it that make sure the parts are in spec.