Old 08-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire speed rating T vs. V and brands

Good point rburt07.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:18 AM
Lew
Enthusiast

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid. The recommended tire speed rating is 'V'. Last year while on vacation one of our tires blew out and needed to be replaced. The only tire available in the "town" we were passing through was "T" rated. I now need to replace the other three tires due to tread wear.

Question. Toyota and our local tire dealer recommend using "V" speed rated tires. After reading through many of the posts on this site it seemed to me that there was little difference between the "V" and "T" rated tires and that I could purchase three new "V" rated to go along with the one, recently purchased "T" tire. Any thoughts about this?

Old 10-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

"little" difference vs BIG money savings? No brainer.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

I would rather have all 4 tires match and would buy the T rated tires (and did....).

T rated tires are good for sustained speeds of 119 mph.... How fast are you planning on driving your hybrid? Top speed is (as far as I know) still limited to 116 mph and to be honest about it, if you are driving a hybrid Camry that fast, you bought the wrong car to go road racing in.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Veracitorian Muser

The T and V ratings determine the top sustained safe speed of the tire. Either are more than adequate for the TCH. More important are the heat and tread wear ratings, and environmental design. For example, if you live in a hot climate, then an A heat rating is very important. If you live in a wet climate, then good wet driving tread design is critical. If you drive hard on good pavement and want the best tire grip for cornering and braking, then a soft tread compound (low tread life) may be important. For the TCH, the speed rating is probably irrelevant to nearly any owner.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Generally a high performance tire will have a short sidewall (this also increases the response on turn in) to generate less heat, a wider tread design and a "stickier" compound to increase braking, acceleration and lateral grip. The compounds are greatly influenced by the carbon black and silicon content and are formulated for the tire speed rating.

The OEM tire for the TCH was rated for a speed that the car can NEVER attain. It was chosen for its low rolling resistance, not the speed rating. Any tire rated at or over the maximum speed of the car would be safe under any conditions. If you do not drive near the maximum speed of the car for sustained periods at the maximum load the car is capable of carrying, you could safely run a tire rated below a cars rated speed.

As for the cars speed being tied to the speed rating on the door post, i will respectfully disagree. The engine rpm, MG1 and MG2 rpm, available horsepower and torque and several other factors set the maximum speed of the car. The manufacturer then chooses the tire based upon that maximum speed and the load ratings that the car is capable of carrying. There are cases where the top speed of the car is limited by the computer but this is a safety issue and recommended by the feds. Generally that self enforced limit is usually 155mph in this country although the European versions of that same car will often not be limited.
Excellent explanation, needs to be upvoted....