Tires hybrid specific

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Tires hybrid specific

We have an '07 Camry hybrid and we seem to go through tires really quickly. 4 new tires every couple years. The tires we buy are the correct size and everything the manufacturer calls for in the manual. But they go bald so quick. I have heard in the past that this is a common problem due to the weight of a hybrid. Are there any tires out there that may be better made to handle the weight better? Any kind of hybrid specific tires? Thanks.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Tires hybrid specific

I run Michelin tires but the main thing to do is keep them inflated to 40 psi or so (don't exceed the maximum cold inflation pressure noted on the sidewall). I have averaged better than 50,000 miles per set with Michelins on every car that I own and the TCH is no different.

Your driving style, road surface conditions and temps will also affect the tread life of your tires.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Newbie2Hybrid
We have an '07 Camry hybrid and we seem to go through tires really quickly. 4 new tires every couple years. The tires we buy are the correct size and everything the manufacturer calls for in the manual. But they go bald so quick. I have heard in the past that this is a common problem due to the weight of a hybrid. Are there any tires out there that may be better made to handle the weight better? Any kind of hybrid specific tires? Thanks.
I would recommend the popular selling Michelin MXV4 Primacy tire for your '07 Camry Hybrid. I have a set on my '12 TCH but I only have 11000 miles on them so far. I find others that have replaced their original tires with the MXV4 Primacy tires and have had really good luck with them.

I looked up your tire size on the tire rack web site and found the 95V series would work fine with your TCH. They show to have a UTQG rating of 620AA which shows they should last a long time. The fist A is for traction the other A is for temperature. The 95V tire shows to have a tread depth of 11/32".

The 95V series tire is also a LRR or low rolling resistant tire which gets better gas mileage and saves money over the years as your drive them.

The MXV4 Primacy tires ride really good and are very quiet on my car.

I have bought tires from tire rack and had them sent to a local tire shop for installation. I have also found some really good michelin tire deals at Discount Tire stores. They fix flats for free and also will do tire rotation for free. They included lifetime balancing in the price of my last set of tires I bought from them. It's a good idea to drop by the tire store every 3 or 4 months to have your tire pressures checked.

You mentioned short tire wear, I wonder if your tires are wearing normally or more on one side. If your having your tires rotated every 7500 miles they should be ok. If not you might consider a quad tire alignment at a good front end alignment shop before installing new tires.

Discount tires recommends every 7500 miles on the tire rotation. I take mine in ever 5000 miles to have my tires rotated and balanced. It's just a habit with me from years past. I also like the tire shop inspection for any small nails that might be in the tires. I have my oil and filter changed every 5000 miles so it makes it easy to keep up with the tire rotation time.

I'm very happy with the michelin mxv4 primacy tires. Like Dave says, keep your tires aired to 40 psi for improved mpg and tire less wear. If you buy the 94H series you should see a tiny green-X on the sidewall. That's michelin's indication these are LRR (low rolling resistant tires)

Here you can read about customers satisfied with these tires. You can then reset the filter for Toyota and 75K and read what those customers have to say.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...3D16HR6MXV4PV2

Here you can click the tabs "below the tire pictures" and find more info on these tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Primacy+MXV4

Last edited by rburt07; 10-04-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the info. Lots of help :-}

Old 10-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Like I said either here or at Toyotanation, in post on tires.
I bought my TCH with what guy called "just installed" tires. Those are Yokohamas. They are said to have 40 000 miles tread life. As of last week, when I measured, I have 6mm tread depth and over 50 000 miles on them. They look to be good for another 2 years of driving.
Actually, I am very surprised they are preserved so well. I guess, at $170 a piece, they should, aye?
Do yourself a favor an do not over inflate tires. You will ruin suspension and it's more costly to replace.
If you go through tires every 2 years, that's unheard of even for cheapo ones, unless you drive 30K miles a year on them.
SOMETHING IS WRONG EITHER WITH YOUR SUSPENSION/ALIGNMENT, OR THE WAY YOU MAINTAIN TIRES.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Newbie2Hybrid
Total B.S. If the tires are wearing quickly you have an alignment and or tire pressure problem. Or just crappy tires.

Tire wear is also greatly affected considering how you drive and load the car. IE: leaving crap in the car all the time, hard cornering, hard accelerations and hard braking.

The original set of Michelin's that came on mine went 76,000 miles. The second set were Hankook Optimo's. The Hankook's were a 60,000 mile rated tire and I got over 86,000 miles on them. I'm running Yoko's now. I'm betting I get at least 80,000 plus out of these too.

I drive a lot and I am not "brand loyal" to anything. I just buy what works. Part of the reason I left my Mercedes Diesel and chose the TCH. The TCH works good for my needs. My car currently has over 163,000 miles on it as of today. I just made another 300 mile trip today.

FWIW.... You cannot go wrong with Michelin's if you have the $$$.