Toyota Raising Prices Camry/Camry Hybrids Effective Mid May

Old 05-07-2008, 08:09 AM
700 Mi Camry Club Member
Default Toyota Raising Prices Camry/Camry Hybrids Effective Mid May

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/07/news...ce=yahoo_quote

Toyota to hike prices on U.S. models

Japanese automaker to increase prices about 1% on certain vehicles in May to make up for the slumping dollar's effect on bottom line.

Toyota is raising prices on some of its U.S. models in May to make up for the toll that the slumping dollar has taken on its bottom line.

TOKYO (AP) -- Toyota Motor Corp., the second-biggest automaker by U.S. sales, is raising its prices on some U.S. models later this month amid increased worries about its profit growth in the American market.
The price increases, which will start in the middle of May, include a hike of $200 on the 2008 Yaris sedan, which will cost $12,425. The 2009 Camry will go up $200 to $18,920, the automaker's U.S. unit said in a statement released Friday.
The hybrid Camry, introduced as a 2007 model in late 2006, will cost $300 more, at $25,650, Toyota said.
Like other Japanese automakers, Toyota is enjoying sales growth while American automakers are struggling. Soaring gas prices have increased demand for smaller, fuel-efficient cars that Japanese automakers are reputed for.
Toyota faces a challenge in maintaining profits partly because of the recent decline in the dollar, which erodes the value of overseas earnings of Japanese exporters. Worries are also rising about how a U.S. economic slowdown may hurt sales.
Toyota is set to release financial results Thursday, when it could report its first profit drop in nearly a decade.
But it's still faring better than its U.S. rivals. GM (GM, Fortune 500) lost $3.3 billion in the first quarter. Ford (F, Fortune 500) had a surprise profit of $100 million for the same period but expects to lose money this year as the U.S. auto market deteriorates.
Weak dollar causes pain. Atsushi Kawai, auto analyst with Mizuho Investors Securities in Tokyo, said the price increases of about 1% won't make up for the damage Toyota's bottom line is expected to suffer from the weak dollar. The dollar, trading at about ¥114 last year, fell below ¥100 in March and is now trading at around ¥105.
But he noted Toyota (TM) raises prices about this time every year, and the hike was routine.
"Outside people are the ones giving special meaning to the decision" because of the concerns about the U.S. market, he said in a telephone interview. "It is a fact that Toyota is losing some of its momentum."
General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC saw double-digit U.S. sales declines last month compared with April 2007. Toyota's U.S. April sales, meanwhile, edged up 3%. But during the same period, Honda Motor Co.'s (HMC) and Nissan Motor Co.'s U.S. sales were up about twice that much.
Nissan already raised U.S. prices in April by $170 to $480 on models including the Versa Hatchback, Altima sedan, 350Z Roadster and the Pathfinder sport utility vehicle. Honda said it has no plans so far to raise its U.S. prices.
Kawai said more time was needed to assess whether Toyota sales will continue to lag even after new models, including the remodeled Corolla, come out.

Toyota is also raising the U.S. prices of some Lexus luxury models. For example, the price of the Lexus IS 350 entry sports sedan will rise $300 to $36,305. The pricing of the 2008 Lexus IS F high-performance sports sedan won't change, Toyota said. First Published: May 7, 2008: 8:02 AM EDT

Last edited by bugs; 05-07-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota Raising Prices Camry/Camry Hybrids Effective Mid May

Yeah, I read that this morning from MSNBC. It is the normal yearly raise in prices (or one of). I agree with the passage that speaks about the fact that this is being given "special meaning" when it is not something "special."

I wonder if that is the MRSP or invioce?

Old 05-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

I wonder if that is the MRSP or invioce?

Must be MRSP, I paid $22750 which is below invoice..

Old 05-07-2008, 03:47 PM
it's just a car...

Originally Posted by bugs
...The hybrid Camry, introduced as a 2007 model in late 2006, will cost $300 more, at $25,650, Toyota said....
I got my 2007 model TCH in May 2006 -- how was that "late"?

Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by vioarc
Bad reporting?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Since we bought our TCH last July there have been three price increases, when the 2008's came out (reduced content, but when upped was $200 more), when the 2009's came out a few months later, and now. From what I understand, all three years are identical.

But considering how the dollar has fallen, I'm surprised there hasn't been much larger increases.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by talmy
Since we bought our TCH last July there have been three price increases, when the 2008's came out (reduced content, but when upped was $200 more), when the 2009's came out a few months later, and now. From what I understand, all three years are identical.

But considering how the dollar has fallen, I'm surprised there hasn't been much larger increases.
Well you can raise only so far if you want to sell anything. I think the more important factor is inflation and wholesale inflation.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vioarc
Well with the '09s coming out at the beginning of '08, maybe May _is_ late? And I'm impressed, there can't be _that_ many out there who beat me with my mid-June 06 purchase, hehe. Of course I bought mine as a reaction to my old car choking, so I wasn't looking at all before June...

Old 05-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast

I just ordered the 09 on the 15th(orders are processsed on the 15th of each month) and there was a approx $300 increase from the employee price from 1may08