Transmission Range Selector Trouble Code P0705

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default Transmission Range Selector Trouble Code P0705

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid (129K miles and original 12V battery). Been a great car. Last night (cold about 18 F), I had a CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM warning. Car was running good. Went to the dealer and it was a P0705 code and diagnosed to be a faulty transmission range selector or a P/N/D position switch on the transmission, with access from under the car and the TRS mounted on the exterior of the transmission. They cleaned the wire connections and was able to clear the code for now. Part is about $250 with 2 hours of labor to install. Part is on order.

Has anyone had any issues with the TRS.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Professor Emeritus
Default Re: Transmission Range Selector Trouble Code P0705

Hmmm... That's interesting. Never heard of that one before. Where exactly is this thing? You got a pic?

Old 01-21-2016, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fastforward
I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid (129K miles and original 12V battery). Been a great car. Last night (cold about 18 F), I had a CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM warning. Car was running good. Went to the dealer and it was a P0705 code and diagnosed to be a faulty transmission range selector or a P/N/D position switch on the transmission, with access from under the car and the TRS mounted on the exterior of the transmission. They cleaned the wire connections and was able to clear the code for now. Part is about $250 with 2 hours of labor to install. Part is on order.

Has anyone had any issues with the TRS.
I have this EXACT same problem right now! I have a 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid and my Hybrid System Warning light kept coming on randomly when I was driving and I would have to stop and restart the car twice to be able to drive again. Now it's happening consistently when I first put the car into drive. Yesterday i took it in and I was told it was the code P0705 but Nissan does not have the part I need in stock and no longer makes them! I'm desperately searching for one online but still no luck.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:15 AM
Enthusiast

I had mine replaced yesterday. I thought Nissan used Toyotas hybrid technology? Dealer ordered the part from Boston. Part was $200 and the invoice showed the part number to be 89451-48010 and called a "Sensor, Shift Lever", also needed a clip (90467-07201). Labor was another $200. They showed me the location on the vehicle. Will need to get to it from below, but you can see the connector and part of the unit (black) from above. Driver side, below the inverter, on the transmission; their is a wire harness and connector going to the unit and is visible and just outboard (drivers side) of the front engine mount. The connector has several multicolored wires showing. The Tech took the connector off, cleaned it and put in some grease until the part came in (no issues for a few days). The Tech showed me the new unit: metal with plastic that houses an electronic board. It also controls the back-up lights, per the Tech. I remember replacing a similar unit on an old truck with column shift and this shift sensor unit was on the steering column under the dash. Times have changed.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for that info! I actually located the part on my car and it clearly says Toyota and was able to get a picture of it. It was the same part number as you stated! I'm not sure why Nissan is clueless about it all and the mechanic must not have physically looked at the part on my car.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:38 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Fastforward
I had mine replaced yesterday. I thought Nissan used Toyotas hybrid technology? Dealer ordered the part from Boston. Part was $200 and the invoice showed the part number to be 89451-48010 and called a "Sensor, Shift Lever", also needed a clip (90467-07201). Labor was another $200. They showed me the location on the vehicle. Will need to get to it from below, but you can see the connector and part of the unit (black) from above. Driver side, below the inverter, on the transmission; their is a wire harness and connector going to the unit and is visible and just outboard (drivers side) of the front engine mount. The connector has several multicolored wires showing. The Tech took the connector off, cleaned it and put in some grease until the part came in (no issues for a few days). The Tech showed me the new unit: metal with plastic that houses an electronic board. It also controls the back-up lights, per the Tech. I remember replacing a similar unit on an old truck with column shift and this shift sensor unit was on the steering column under the dash. Times have changed.
Thanks for posting the info.! That is always good for others in the future...

That does not sound too bad. I found the part online for $126 and it would be just over $130 shipped. The clips can be found anywhere and are just a couple cents (buy them, by the bag).

I would have done it myself. BUT, considering difficult access, the possibility of breaking little plastic clips and the fact that they were "showing you things" in the shop is a good thing! I'd say you did pretty well...

Good info... Thanks again.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

I know it’s late but did that part fix you guys car ? I’m having the same problem now on my 2008 Nissan Altima hybrid

Originally Posted by litespeed
Thanks for posting the info.! That is always good for others in the future...

That does not sound too bad. I found the part online for $126 and it would be just over $130 shipped. The clips can be found anywhere and are just a couple cents (buy them, by the bag).

I would have done it myself. BUT, considering difficult access, the possibility of breaking little plastic clips and the fact that they were "showing you things" in the shop is a good thing! I'd say you did pretty well...

Good info... Thanks again.