Triangle shape red warning light is what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Triangle shape red warning light is what?

Mine is 07 TCH with 37k miles on it. For the last 2 weeks, i have been having the "maint req" light come on once for few seconds everytime I turn my car on and it goes away. I didn't notice or any noise. Today not only the "maint req" light but a triangle shaped with red exclaimation mark also appeared and stays on while driving. When i push brake, the noise I hear is like the noise of a plane landing while it is windy. It is not squeaky though. I don't think the noise is due to low tire pressure or dirty engine oil. It has only been 3k miles since i last changed my oil.

So I stopped at an independent auto repair shop and it is evening and I left my car there so they can look at it tomorrow morning.

I could have taken it to the toyota dealer shop but you know they are a massive rip off and always make stuffs up.
pls tel me what the problem could be! i never had repaired or had any issue with my brake before.

Last edited by jimmy1; 08-29-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:07 AM
Professor Emeritus
Default Re: Triangle shape red warning light is what?

Maint. Req. light needs to be reset every 5000 miles.

Put car in "trip A", turn off car. Hold down "trip A" reset button while pushing start button simultaneously (don't let go of "trip A"). Look at dash and it will tell you when "reset mode" is complete.

That fact that you have some noise associated with it is just a coincidence.

Red triangle can be a simple as low washer fluid.

Do a maintenance reset and go for drive and see if you have any problems after that.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmy1
Mine is 07 TCH with 37k miles on it....
Off topic, but only 37,000 miles for a car nearly ten years old?

Old 08-30-2016, 08:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litespeed
Maint. Req. light needs to be reset every 5000 miles.

Put car in "trip A", turn off car. Hold down "trip A" reset button while pushing start button simultaneously (don't let go of "trip A"). Look at dash and it will tell you when "reset mode" is complete.

That fact that you have some noise associated with it is just a coincidence.

Red triangle can be a simple as low washer fluid.

Do a maintenance reset and go for drive and see if you have any problems after that.
What you mean by "That fact that you have some noise associated with it is just a coincidence"?

The independent local repair shop called and told me the rear rotor and brake is not good. needs replaced and would cost me $340 total. When I asked, if it is toyota parts, he said they are an after market parts, and he has to order toyota parts IF that's what I want and would cost more. .

Old 08-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jimmy1
What you mean by "That fact that you have some noise associated with it is just a coincidence"?

The independent local repair shop called and told me the rear rotor and brake is not good. needs replaced and would cost me $340 total. When I asked, if it is toyota parts, he said they are an after market parts, and he has to order toyota parts IF that's what I want and would cost more. .

It means just what he said. The two are NOT associated. One is for maintenance (oil change indicated etc). The brakes are a different issue altogether. They just happened at the same time. I am another one that is curious about the mileage and brake wear however. Most on here are well over 100K with the original brakes. I replaced mine at 170K just because I was tired of looking at them ever time I pulled, inspected and lubed the pins.

Did you ever do any brake maintenance on the car in the past? The only way I can see a rotor and pads going out that soon is if they had frozen in position due to lack of lube on the sliding surfaces and pins.

As far as the brake cost goes, a Bosch Quiet cast rotor at +/- $53.00, Brake pads (both sides) ThermoQuiet Ceramic by Wagner would be +/-$63. Total for both sides in parts would be less than $170 and take about an hour to install. Locally, that would be another $100 or so. Roughly $270 for what you called out for BOTH sides.

Toyota OEM parts would be less than you were quoted unless you happen to live someplace so remote they bring in parts by dog sled in the deepest, darkest part of the winter and store them in a bank vault.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
It means just what he said. The two are NOT associated. One is for maintenance (oil change indicated etc). The brakes are a different issue altogether. They just happened at the same time. I am another one that is curious about the mileage and brake wear however. Most on here are well over 100K with the original brakes. I replaced mine at 170K just because I was tired of looking at them ever time I pulled, inspected and lubed the pins.

Did you ever do any brake maintenance on the car in the past? The only way I can see a rotor and pads going out that soon is if they had frozen in position due to lack of lube on the sliding surfaces and pins.

As far as the brake cost goes, a Bosch Quiet cast rotor at +/- $53.00, Brake pads (both sides) ThermoQuiet Ceramic by Wagner would be +/-$63. Total for both sides in parts would be less than $170 and take about an hour to install. Locally, that would be another $100 or so. Roughly $270 for what you called out for BOTH sides.

Toyota OEM parts would be less than you were quoted unless you happen to live someplace so remote they bring in parts by dog sled in the deepest, darkest part of the winter and store them in a bank vault.
I picked up my car , paid $330 total. Doesn't mention what brand but just says "rear brake & rear rotor" in my receipt. It is an Asian owned small independent local auto repair shop. I don't hear the noise from braking any more and don't see the warning light any more yet. My car is only less than 38K miles bought in AUG 2006 & it is 07. Maybe since my car is 10 years old, I started to hear brake noise with warning light?
I went to this private independent shop instead of the toyota dealer shop because I know for sure they will say something like my car is about to blow up or something so bad unless I pay than $2k or $10k or for list of repairs. The only time i go there is for oil change with their coupon but I never forget to tell them No to the multi point inspection that is listed as free with the oil change. They try to push me in to inspection and than came up $3k worth of repairs needed when my car was only 25k miles . Actually they have been saying i need major maintainance done when i had my first oil change like 9 years ago at 4k miles. I wish they were honest and I wish I knew about car repairs, parts!

Last edited by jimmy1; 08-30-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:07 PM
Professor Emeritus

That's good. I would have done the work myself. The fact that the brakes have been neglected is why they failed. A simple search just about anywhere and you can read about it. It's a problem.

Once again and TO BE CLEAR, the Maint. Req. light is completely unassociated with ANY issue regarding your brakes. That light will come back on again in 5000 milies.

Is this car new to you? Because by now, and if you have owned it for a while, these things should be familiar to you. If not, you're learning and that's fine. You should do more searching and reading.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litespeed
That's good. I would have done the work myself. The fact that the brakes have been neglected is why they failed. A simple search just about anywhere and you can read about it. It's a problem.

Once again and TO BE CLEAR, the Maint. Req. light is completely unassociated with ANY issue regarding your brakes. That light will come back on again in 5000 milies.

Is this car new to you? Because by now, and if you have owned it for a while, these things should be familiar to you. If not, you're learning and that's fine. You should do more searching and reading.
I know the "main req" on dashsboard could mean low tire pressure, or asking to change oil or like that. I checked my tire pressure and it is fine and my oil is fine too and not due for change yet with it being only 3k miles since my last change. But I went to repair shop after a noise started coming when i push brake when driving and the triangle shaped warning light started to appear on top of the " maint require" light that I had for 2 weeks before it. I had no brake noise with only the" main req" light. I started to hear brake noise when I was having the "maint req" AND triangle shape red warning light. My car is 10 years old with 37k miles. I don't know what you mean by "The fact that the brakes have been neglected is why they failed" ?

Should I have done something to the brakes before this? What should I have done?

Last edited by jimmy1; 09-02-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

You should inspect the brakes and lubricate the slide areas to prevent them from sticking. This should be done at least once a year. Yours stuck due to rust and caused an early brake failure due to lack of maintenance.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
You should inspect the brakes and lubricate the slide areas to prevent them from sticking. This should be done at least once a year. Yours stuck due to rust and caused an early brake failure due to lack of maintenance.
I htink you are right that brakes should be inspected and lubricated sometimes. Mine has been like that for 10 years although only 37k miles. The problem is everytime the dealer wants to do free "multi points inspection" during oil change, the service employees comes up with thousands of dollars worth of repairs, replacements new brakes new transmission oil, new air filter etc. They have been saying i needed these ever since during my first oil change at 4k miles 9 years ago. . The free multi points inspection that they throw in with oil change coupon is where they get a chance to rip me off. What do you suggest next time i need an oil change and i go to the toyota dealer? Your advice on how to deal with the dealer service department?