Trunk latch switch all gooey!

Old 08-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Trunk latch switch all gooey!

Bicycle tube... that's exactly what I was thinking but... I couldn't find my old cut up inner tube. Out of desperation I found some old 3M all weather electrical tape (see photo). This tape is .52mm thick. Also some photos attached - one from the before and 2 from the after tape. it feels fine now, no more sticky finger.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3M_Tape.JPG (75.9 KB, 52 views)
Before_photo.JPG (48.4 KB, 46 views)
After_Image_1.JPG (38.7 KB, 51 views)
After_Image_2.JPG (39.8 KB, 51 views)
tape2.JPG (74.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ewwnlle
Bicycle tube... that's exactly what I was thinking but... I couldn't find my old cut up inner tube. Out of desperation I found some old 3M all weather electrical tape (see photo). This tape is .52mm thick. Also some photos attached - one from the before and 2 from the after tape. it feels fine now, no more sticky finger.
Yea.... $46-47 plus shipping for a new switch just because the membrane goes bad is pretty stupid. It is a waste of resources to throw away a perfectly good switch when all that is wrong is a bad membrane (cover).

One of many engineering problems with these cars.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litespeed
Yea.... $46-47 plus shipping for a new switch just because the membrane goes bad is pretty stupid. It is a waste of resources to throw away a perfectly good switch when all that is wrong is a bad membrane (cover).

One of many engineering problems with these cars.
I can't agree with you more! It's a waste of resources since the switch is still fully functioning. Since the push button is not visible so i decided just to use the 3M all weather tape.
The original material has lost its elasticity completely. I didn't even bother to try taken it off fearing I might tear open the already fragile membrane. See the photo where I have red circled. that mark was created by my finger nail. I am very disappointed with the material Toyota choose to use for this parts but I do love the smart key feature.

Attached Images
File Type: png
failed_material.png (480.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ewwnlle
I can't agree with you more! It's a waste of resources since the switch is still fully functioning. Since the push button is not visible so i decided just to use the 3M all weather tape.
The original material has lost its elasticity completely. I didn't even bother to try taken it off fearing I might tear open the already fragile membrane. See the photo where I have red circled. that mark was created by my finger nail. I am very disappointed with the material Toyota choose to use for this parts but I do love the smart key feature.
Hey! I really appreciate you posting what you have done! I definitely plan to do something similar.

So, you did not remove the switch from the trunk to do the repair?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Professor Emeritus

OK.... So, here is the "Simple" fix for this stupid switch. This job took me about 20 minutes start to finish and it looks and operates like it always did minus the Ooey Gooey mess.

I think that the issue with this switch is the non hardening sealant or butyl tape used to secure the rubber to the switch housing. I think that the sealant reacted with the rubber and caused it to degrade at a faster than normal rate.

1. So, go out into your garage and sacrifice an inner tube off your mountain bike or beach cruiser.

2. Remove the 2 screws securing the switch into the trunk. On each corner carefully pry out the switch with a thin bladed screwdriver.

3. Remove any of the old rubber membrane trying not to disturb the non hardening sealant.

4. Cut a nice size piece out of the inner tube so you can lay it across the bottom of the switch.

5. Cut the inner tube 1/4 inch larger than the switch all the way around.

6. Wrap the inner tube around the switch and fold over the corners.

7. Push the switch back up into the trunk while holding the folded corners in.

8. Install the screws.

Done. Some pics below

The Problem
Theproblem.jpg

The Ooey Gooey
OoeyGooey.jpg

Fixed with Bicycle inner tube
Fixed.jpg

Old 10-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks. I live in hot Sacramento and my '07's switch went gooey beginning last year. It looks just like the melting mess in your photos, and it feels as bad as it looks.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast

RadioTek,

Thanks for your posting in 2013. I have a 2009 TCH and I experienced the same problem. I went to the Toyota dealership and the parts guy told me that he has seem owners asking for the replacement "black plastic" a few times a week. Unfortunately, you could not just replace the plastic piece but the entire switch assmebly. I did not buy the part as it costed me ~$160. I did my research in mutliple forums and came to the attention that this faulty part is on multiple Toyota models. Toyota really disappointed me for not fixing this recurring issue. I am wondering your follow up with the Toyota HQ in CA. What execuse or run-around did they give you?

Originally Posted by RadioTek
I just got through doing this, myself. The trick I used for getting the plastic "rivets" out of the trunk liner is to take a ty-wrap, feed it through the slot in the head, and pull outward. They come out easily. The closest thing i had to trouble getting the large plastic part out was that I had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to compress the tabs on the middle plastic clip to get it out.

My son and I had it done in about half an hour. one you see how it goes together, it's not a difficult job.

However, my disappointment is reserved for the part itself. The quality of the plastics used in the whole assembly leaves more than a little to be desired. This is a 2009, less than 3 years old. The weatherproof membrane ( flexible cover) disintegrated, there were holes in it, literally resembling a slice of Swiss cheese. It had degraded so badly that there was a section of the 'rubber' hanging down. The plastic parts that the screws thread into were so brittle that they had to be broken out, because they wouldn't flex enough to release the switch from its' holder.

Someone REALLY dropped the ball on this part. Exposure to Ultraviolet light is known to degrade plastics, and an external trim part that is this exposed should be much more resistant to the effects. The clip parts that I had to break to release the old switch were supposedly protected from this, being completely enclosed, but they were extremely brittle.

This is not the quality I normally expect from Toyota, and I will try to make my displeasure known to them. I will try to use whatever contacts that I can come up with to do so. There are a few first, second, and third -hand possibilities that I can try, and I will. While this may not be a directly safety related item, it is still a rather unnecessary thing to happen.

I will keep the forum posted.

Scott

Old 01-21-2015, 06:29 AM
Professor Emeritus

Ha Ha! Forgot all about this stupid thing! You DO NOT need to remove the trunk liner to repair this thing. Only if you are replacing it. If for some reason you "want" to remove it, you can get a panel tool from any auto parts store for a couple bucks. Then fork out a ton of money for a new switch. Which is ridiculous IMO.

I fixed mine with a piece of inner tube some time last year and it looks and works great. No issues at all! Cost $0.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:38 AM
Enthusiast

Great. Thanks for the pointer! I was thinking to use the inner tube to "replace" the melted plastic too. How did you secure the inner tube without taking out the trunk switch? Did you just use gule to attach the inner tube to cover the hole? Please advice. Thanks.

Originally Posted by litespeed
Ha Ha! Forgot all about this stupid thing! You DO NOT need to remove the trunk liner to repair this thing. Only if you are replacing it. If for some reason you "want" to remove it, you can get a panel tool from any auto parts store for a couple bucks. Then fork out a ton of money for a new switch. Which is ridiculous IMO.

I fixed mine with a piece of inner tube some time last year and it looks and works great. No issues at all! Cost $0.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:41 AM
Professor Emeritus

Hey... No prob. All you need to do is "carefully" remove the 2 screws securing the switch to the trunk and "gently" pry it out with a thin bladed screwdriver wrapped in masking tape (to prevent marring the finish). Then just let the switch hang there to clean the "goo" off and wrap it with the inner tube (see pics posted above in post #25). Super easy. There is no need to remove the switch from the car unless you just plan on replacing it.

TIP: I used a mountain bike inner tube I had laying around. In retrospect, I should have used a "road bike" inner tube because they are thinner. It was a little difficult to "wrap the corners" with the thick tube. FWIW....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trunk latch switch all gooey!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands