Trunk latch switch all gooey!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Trunk latch switch all gooey!

Tried for an hour to remove the screws. Could never get them off. I used a bike inner tube piece with spray mount and just covered the entire assembly. Worked like a charm. Like new!

Old 08-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

I replaced mine a while back, took about 20 minutes to remove the switch and wiring harness and put in the new switch. The bicycle tube trick will work just as well. Just depends on how you want to fix it.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:49 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Trunk latch switch all gooey!

David,
Many thanks for your posting using the inner tube of a bicycle. Could you upload a picture showing your "smart trick" fixing the problem please? If the blog does not allow you to upload a picture, could you kindly email it to me at wongtony168@hotmail.com? Many thanks.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

I replaced mine on our 07 TCH a couple months ago. What a gooey mess it was! I think I paid $45 for a new switch. Fishing the wire through took some effort, but it is a do it yourself job.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

Just finished this repair on my 09 Camry. Sticky mess due to gasket cement and deteriorated cover. Strategy: unscrew two screws, these hold expansion plugs, like wall anchors. If the screw does not come out, use a small putty knife under the screw edge while unscrewing, to pop out the screw. (When reinstalling, use a larger screw).carefully pry out edges with flat blade as described elsewhere. Remove excess gasket glue, Goo-Gone works well. Buy a black silicone swim cap (not latex). Cut a 4.5"x 2" piece out of the cap with sharp scissors. Using single hole paper punch, make 2 holes same width as screw holes. Punch second set of holes half way from first hole to outer edge. Stretch outer holes over the plastic tabs, covering the latch. Inner holes should line up with the screw holes. Reinstall. If needed, use couple of small pieces of electrical tape on the back to hold rubber in place while reinserting. Better than new!

Last edited by Roger Hirsh; 07-17-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:34 AM
Enthusiast

This is how to replace the trunk switch
First do not remove the 2 philips screws holding the switch
You have to take the whole plate off
Remove the 5 nuts inside the trunk. I used 10mm openended wrench.
Then there is a white plastic clip the size of yourfinger in the middle under the Toyota emblem
I couldn’t get plyers in it to squeezes the tabs. I use along handled screw driver and push on one tab
While pulling on the plastic piece then use the screwdriver on the other side. Once off you can remove the two screws holding the switchon in your lap.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
plate.JPG (104.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-10-2016, 08:23 AM
ASE Master Mechanic L3

This seems to be a good alternative to the bicycle tube fix. It's less than twenty dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/IE-Works-Lift...1SCWKJ1E5JK237

In case the link doesn't work, search amazon for Release Button Cover Replacement Repair for Toyota Scion Lexus

Old 08-24-2016, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

I truly feel Toyota should do a recall on the rubber trunk seal issue. I've read MANY models within the Toyota line as well as the Lexus line (sharing he same part) and it's pretty much going to happen to the cars/trucks. I performed the replacement myself on my Lexus 450h and also my wife's Camry hybrid. We don't pour grease on it, oils or use lotions and operate the rubber switch. Pain in the butt to replace on the GS450h BTW.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

As far as a recall goes, how long do you think the company should be responsible for minor wear parts on a car? I replaced mine at the 7 year mark. When I stated driving a long time ago, the entire car wouldn't make it as long as the trunk latch lasted on my Camry.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jay Malinowski Master ASE
This seems to be a good alternative to the bicycle tube fix. It's less than twenty dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/IE-Works-Lift...1SCWKJ1E5JK237

In case the link doesn't work, search amazon for Release Button Cover Replacement Repair for Toyota Scion Lexus
Thanks for the link. I ordered one for my 2009 Camry Hybrid and it's as good as new now.

It was a mess getting the old rubber off the switch and I almost stripped out the screws heads removing them. Took me about 30 minutes all in all.

It's always nice to save money over what the dealer would have charged.

Mike